The Bear

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a ride that was. S3 seems so much shorter than 1 and 2 mainly because there were so many episodes that were basically one long scene. I don't even want to know how long we're going to have to wait before S4.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What a ride that was. S3 seems so much shorter than 1 and 2 mainly because there were so many episodes that were basically one long scene. I don't even want to know how long we're going to have to wait before S4.
And that was the problem. It wasn't so much a season as a bunch of disparate character studies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
next summer.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Season Two Ep 4. Season 1 was really good but damn stressful to watch. Season 2 feels completely different.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why I hold the writers guilty of dicking with the viewers and may not continue watching. Really unforgivable season, IMO.

Just kind of felt like stretching three seasons into four.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why I hold the writers guilty of dicking with the viewers and may not continue watching. Really unforgivable season, IMO.
One fluff season after two incredible seasons and you’re done? And it’s not like they’re a show who drops a season and then makes viewers wait 18 months, 2 two or even three years. They drop every summer, on schedule, the way shows used to do.

Shows as great as this was in season 1 and 2 get a mulligan in my book if they falter in season 3.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just kind of felt like stretching three seasons into four.
That’s exactly what happened. The creator always said it was a three season arc and then FX begged for 2 more seasons after Season 2. Knowing the state of the industry and how rough it is right now for everyone post-strike, I’m not going to bash the head honcho for saying yes to stretching the narrative for an extra season while providing hundreds of jobs to people for an extra year.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s exactly what happened. The creator always said it was a three season arc and then FX begged for 2 more seasons after Season 2. Knowing the state of the industry and how rough it is right now for everyone post-strike, I’m not going to bash the head honcho for saying yes to stretching the narrative for an extra season while providing hundreds of jobs to people for an extra year.

I think that's a fair point and quite understandable in this day and age. Even with the stretched out season, it still blows away a ton of crap shows out there and it was still very enjoyable for both of us. Looking forward to S4, just not the yearlong wait. :violin:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's a fair point and quite understandable in this day and age. Even with the stretched out season, it still blows away a ton of crap shows out there and it was still very enjoyable for both of us. Looking forward to S4, just not the yearlong wait. :violin:
Yeah… even though I think it’s nowhere close to seasons 1 and 2, it’s not “bad”. It’s… frustrating more than anything with moments of greatness still sprinkled in.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… even though I think it’s nowhere close to seasons 1 and 2, it’s not “bad”. It’s… frustrating more than anything with moments of greatness still sprinkled in.

You can admit if you needed about 20 more minutes of Lamaze breathing in a certain scene.
;)

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can admit if you needed about 20 more minutes of Lamaze breathing in a certain scene.
;)
Oh boy… is that yet to come in the second half of the season? Maybe I’ll get to Stout’s level of frustration after all!

Stout

Reaction score
One fluff season after two incredible seasons and you’re done? And it’s not like they’re a show who drops a season and then makes viewers wait 18 months, 2 two or even three years. They drop every summer, on schedule, the way shows used to do.

Shows as great as this was in season 1 and 2 get a mulligan in my book if they falter in season 3.
IMO it wasn't a falter, but a middle finger and a "meh, we know you'll stick around anyway."

Finish the season and you'll see my point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue with this whole season is there’s just almost zero Carmie in this season.

I feel like the Faks got as much screen time as he does.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue with this whole season is there’s just almost zero Carmie in this season.

I feel like the Faks got as much screen time as he does.

Did you make it to the end of S3 yet?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you make it to the end of S3 yet?
Yeah. I didn’t think it was horrible and as the season went on, it became pretty predictable where the split was going to happen storywise.

Beyond the story padding, the biggest disappointment to me was that it was just a pretty predictable season. The second Chef Shapiro had the brush by Sydney near the L-Train in Episode 3, I knew where that was going. Same with the review.

And I didn’t think the finale was jam-packed with cameos. Maybe that’s because there’s a bunch of people that don’t I’m not familiar with.

Overall, I’d give the season a B-. Nothing close to unforgivable.

Last edited:

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just jumped into this and binged the 1st four S1 episodes. It's our new indulgence.

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah. I didn’t think it was horrible and as the season went on, it became pretty predictable where the split was going to happen storywise.

Beyond the story padding, the biggest disappointment to me was that it was just a pretty predictable season. The second Chef Shapiro had the brush by Sydney near the L-Train in Episode 3, I knew where that was going. Same with the review.

And I didn’t think the finale was jam-packed with cameos. Maybe that’s because there’s a bunch of people that don’t I’m not familiar with.

Overall, I’d give the season a B-. Nothing close to unforgivable.
Nothing close to unforgivable? We're going to spin our wheels all season with character pieces, set up a big arc, and just...say meh, come back next season? No, we're not actually going to deliver on what we promised all season? We're going to just keep Carmy the way he is except for a few seconds at the end? What kind of effed up season arc is that? What kind of lazy BS writing is that?

Nah, not cool in my book. C- at best, because there was good content. If the finale had paid off, then yeah, I could see my way to a B-. Like you said, you'll get softer seasons with, and besides, there was definitely a lot of good content. Sad that they couldn't smash together a coherent season out of it.

Basically, the lure of money screwed this season up like it usually does to shows. Understandably so, from a showrunner perspective, because they don't have generational wealth. So when you're offered a giant bag to go from "I have a tight 3-season arc" to "Can you stretch this out more?" you get really poopy middle fingers to the fans with what we got to end that season.

Edit: To put it simply, these mfers gave us half a season, called it a season, and said, "Eh, they'll come back for more." Basically, we're all suckers that'll watch anyway, so let's troll the audience and get more seasons and more money. Absolute *******.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Nothing close to unforgivable? We're going to spin our wheels all season with character pieces, set up a big arc, and just...say meh, come back next season? No, we're not actually going to deliver on what we promised all season? We're going to just keep Carmy the way he is except for a few seconds at the end? What kind of effed up season arc is that? What kind of lazy BS writing is that?

Nah, not cool in my book. C- at best, because there was good content. If the finale had paid off, then yeah, I could see my way to a B-. Like you said, you'll get softer seasons with, and besides, there was definitely a lot of good content. Sad that they couldn't smash together a coherent season out of it.

Basically, the lure of money screwed this season up like it usually does to shows. Understandably so, from a showrunner perspective, because they don't have generational wealth. So when you're offered a giant bag to go from "I have a tight 3-season arc" to "Can you stretch this out more?" you get really poopy middle fingers to the fans with what we got to end that season.
I love that ishhy autocorrects to poopy :D

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is really good. The wife and I finished last night binging the entire show in short order. Season 3 started off with a really weird vibe, but it got back on track as the season went along. It's weird. Neither of us were ever interested in the show based on the trailers. We only watched the first couple episodes because we were looking for something. Now we are hooked.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is really good. The wife and I finished last night binging the entire show in short order. Season 3 started off with a really weird vibe, but it got back on track as the season went along. It's weird. Neither of us were ever interested in the show based on the trailers. We only watched the first couple episodes because we were looking for something. Now we are hooked.

We were lucky enough to go in almost completely ignorant of everything except it was about a chef. Turns out it's a little more than that!