Cards - Colts - quick notes offense

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Only focusing on the players that are truly fighting for a 53-man roster spot.

QBs

Tune had a rough time and was under a lot of pressure. Still he handled that much better than Ridder in the same situation last week. Meanwhile Ridder was underwhelming playing against 3rd stringers. I would say Tune has increased the gap between the two based on what we saw.

RBs
Loved seeing Benson doing some good, but unfortunately had his best run wiped out by a holding call.
Demarcato showed flashes but struggled behind poor line play.
Dallas looks like is has secured a roster spot based on his good returns.
The Group is deep. Is Carter a trade possibility at this point?

WR/TE
Weaver is a lock to make the team IMO. He looks great in the return game and had a couple of nice catches.

Reiman continue to play “his” expected postion as the 2nd TE exclusively and it was all the other TEs playing "McBride's" 1st TE role. I only saw him running routes on 3 plays with one catch. He did look good again in blocking. Coaches clearly want him to focus on being the blocking TE playing opposite McBride at this point.

OL
Where to start?

The few positives…LT settled down with Beachum in the early part of the game. The second team OL looked so much better in the run game compared to last week.

Wilkenson looked horrible at tackle. He got beat badly on the outside in the beginning, then overcompensated and got killed inside. He did look better when he played inside at G. He is not a solution at OT IMO.

Colon likewise. He was constantely pushed back and had a truly disgusting play where he gives up a tackle in the backfield while doubleteaming with Gaines – On a slide block like that it was Colon’s responsibility to make that block. On Jones' second holding it was Colon's failed block that lead to the holding. I have to assume Colon playing (bad) at C was with the purpose of seeing Gaines at G.

Adams looked better. Pass-Block was still an issue, but less of an issue compared to last week. He did look decent in runblocking and looked really well on pulls and excellent on a screen play.

You can almost mirror those comments for Gaines. Acceptable effort.

Christian Jones.. I love that he is getting playing time and that they kept him in. Hopefully he will learn from this game. The penalties were a disaster! No other way to describe it, but the ironic thing is that he generally looked pretty decent if you take the holding penalties away (which you can’t). He looked solid in setting up his base in pass-block and contributed in the run game. With the lack of quality of the back-up tackle he should be the 4th tackle on the team. Not sure if that is enough to make the 53, however.

I really like to see more of Hayes. When he is on the field he goes unnoticed, which is a good thing for a O-lineman.

The back-up O-line did not look good again, but I will defend them a bit. The line-up shifted constantly throughout the game and it’s impossible to get any consistency and rhythm going when you are doing that. We played the game with what we have to expect is the 4th C on the team - that is helping setting up the 2nd team players up for failure.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I didn’t watch the Saints game but if Adams looked “better” than he did last week, he must have been truly awful because he was terrible this week. I saw him get out on the screen too, to me it only looked good because he didn’t have to touch anyone. He was consistently finishing plays on the ground, simply overpowered.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I didn’t watch the Saints game but if Adams looked “better” than he did last week, he must have been truly awful because he was terrible this week. I saw him get out on the screen too, to me it only looked good because he didn’t have to touch anyone. He was consistently finishing plays on the ground, simply overpowered.
He was...

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
I realize these games are to establish the depth chart, but the backups will get plenty of opportunity because of normal rotation and injuries. It worries me that the offensive line has played so poorly. There may have been some who popped individually, but the team has to have an O-line that is deep and holds up through the season. It’s got to be a strength.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
stipulating that the game was meaningless and little can learned on the team:

that was awful to watch. Boring, sloppy football.

the top 6 players on o-line better stay healthy, because the depth there is sketchy. Maybe I trust Gaines. But certainly not Isiah Adams at this point in his development. Not Elijah Wilkenson. Tristan Colon? I suspect waiver wire will be looking for an interior o-lineman.

bright spot: you see the burst Trey Benson has. maybe the staring o line can give him enough free space to really unleash it.

on D: Xavier Thomas looks like he can play. Being a starting, producing edge is still a lot to ask of him.

the team has collected a lot of the same body type guys: Luketa, Dimukejee, Gardeck, X Thomas -- all more compact / less length than what you look for in edge guys.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They played poorly in both games . Mistakes are concerning and last night was ridiculous. Gannon has to be upset with these performances. In my opinion Carter has been our best back so I hope he isn’t traded. Tune is winning QB competition which isn’t saying much. Some of the youngsters on D have performed well like Xavier Thomas and our secondary looks like it has some depth and is very physical.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could the Cardinals backup quarterback not even be on the current roster?

Josh Weinfuss
https://x.com/joshweinfuss
@joshweinfuss

I talked to a couple of sources after the Cardinals' game tonight and came away with a few interesting tidbits:

- The fact that Arizona traded for Desmond Ridder won't impact what the Cardinals do with the him, whether that's make him QB2, QB3 or cut him.

- One of the sources I talked to doesn't think the backup QB is on the team right now.

- The starting OLB opposite of Zaven Collins is likely on the roster at the this point, a source said. If an opportunity to make the right trade comes up, then that may change but they think it's unlikely Arizona gives up a lot for a linebacker.

9:17 PM · Aug 17, 2024

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They played poorly in both games . Mistakes are concerning and last night was ridiculous. Gannon has to be upset with these performances. In my opinion Carter has been our best back so I hope he isn’t traded. Tune is winning QB competition which isn’t saying much. Some of the youngsters on D have performed well like Xavier Thomas and our secondary looks like it has some depth and is very physical.
Go watch JG’s post game presser. That’s as mad as I’ve seen him, although he still does a good job of masking it. The penalties really pissed him off. He was happy to not see turnovers & had we not created 2 turnovers, then the score would have been uglier.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Go watch JG’s post game presser. That’s as mad as I’ve seen him, although he still does a good job of masking it. The penalties really pissed him off. He was happy to not see turnovers & had we not created 2 turnovers, then the score would have been uglier.
Good for him.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Agree on Tune. He needs more experience but I think he can play in this league. He has a big arm, good touch and decent escapability. Benson looked like Benson and he’ll have a fine career. The Cards have plenty of receiver depth but with no preseason exposure I’m very worried about timing in early games. What I’m really worried about is the line. There seems to be insufficient depth beyond Beachum. I, too, would like to see more of Hayes. Adams is practice squad at best this season.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Agree on Tune. He needs more experience but I think he can play in this league. He has a big arm, good touch and decent escapability. Benson looked like Benson and he’ll have a fine career. The Cards have plenty of receiver depth but with no preseason exposure I’m very worried about timing in early games. What I’m really worried about is the line. There seems to be insufficient depth beyond Beachum. I, too, would like to see more of Hayes. Adams is practice squad at best this season.
On the O-line. It's so hard to evaluate based on the games. How many combinations did they use? 10?

I liked that Adams & Gaines weren't a complete liability in the pass-blocking, like we saw Adams last week. I thought they both got some push in the runblocking. But overall it didn't look good. How much of that was based on their performance and how much was based on players constantly changing?

Is it a concern or acceptable for a back-up based on the line combinations?

We have to remember that in gametime situations these guys will be plugged into a combination with the four players of starting unit that have consistently played together. How would they look in that situation.

We have to assume Gaines is the 1st interior back-up for now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think Adams would get to the PS. More likely he will get a season ending injury that put him on the shelf for the year but ready to go next offseason.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Adams would get to the PS. More likely he will get a season ending injury that put him on the shelf for the year but ready to go next offseason.
Why? Are there a lot of teams that want a horrible guard?

Draft position means nothing if it is shown the guy can't produce.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Why? Are there a lot of teams that want a horrible guard?

Draft position means nothing if it is shown the guy can't produce.
Generally speaking, teams believe in high draft picks and you can find ways to store guys if you want.

Here is the thing, if (and this is just an if) Monti whiffed so badly on a 3rd round pick that he goes to the PS or gets picked up by another team due to Monti trying to, the "building through the draft" plan is in jeopardy. That would be a Keim-level miss and would put a very different spin on the 2023 draft class which already has some big questions.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That would be a Keim-level miss and would put a very different spin on the 2023 draft class which already has some big questions.
Meh. I dunno. Third-round picks rarely develop into regular NFL contributors, much less starters. That’s why depending on the was always a fool’s errand.

It would be embarrassing if he cant make the roster of a 4-13 team tho. Like Kei’Trel Clark making the team over Elijah Jones.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Meh. I dunno. Third-round picks rarely develop into regular NFL contributors, much less starters. That’s why depending on the was always a fool’s errand.

It would be embarrassing if he cant make the roster of a 4-13 team tho. Like Kei’Trel Clark making the team over Elijah Jones.
IMO you have to consider the quality of the roster. If Monti is drafting dudes in the 3rd round who can't make a bad roster, it is a real problem for the viability for his plan. If Adams ended up being Josh Jones...that happens and he at least was able to hang around the league.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
There is NO WAY Adams isn't on the 53 roster. Or Jones for that matter.

Come on....

No matter how bad he has looked in a makeshift random OL configuration, if Adams need another year to be ready, he was drafted in the 3rd round based on a big potential.

The team will not give up on that after 3 months and we have ZERO insight on how he has looked in situations as the only back-up playing along four starters. The guy practiced with the first team for a couple of days in training camp. The way JC is using pre-season games gives us very limited actual insight to where he is on the depth chart.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is NO WAY Adams isn't on the 53 roster. Or Jones for that matter.

Come on....

No matter how bad he has looked in a makeshift random OL configuration, if Adams need another year to be ready, he was drafted in the 3rd round based on a big potential.

The team will not give up on that after 3 months and we have ZERO insight on how he has looked in situations as the only back-up playing along four starters. The guy practiced with the first team for a couple of days in training camp. The way JC is using pre-season games gives us very limited actual insight to where he is on the depth chart.
It is a stretch IMO as well but others are bringing it up.