Cards - Colts - quick notes offense

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Generally speaking, teams believe in high draft picks and you can find ways to store guys if you want.

Here is the thing, if (and this is just an if) Monti whiffed so badly on a 3rd round pick that he goes to the PS or gets picked up by another team due to Monti trying to, the "building through the draft" plan is in jeopardy. That would be a Keim-level miss and would put a very different spin on the 2023 draft class which already has some big questions.
It is a Keim level miss. You just haven't accepted it yet. The number of rookies that turn things around after looking this bad is extremely small.

Every GM will have these, best just to cut your losses and move on.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is a Keim level miss. You just haven't accepted it yet. The number of rookies that turn things around after looking this bad is extremely small.

You are correct that I have not accepted the idea that Adams can't be a backup in the NFL.

I don't know what your sample size is regarding players who play to his level and turning things around (seems made up).

I am not sure that "every GM" has 3rd rounders they cut year 1. As you made the statement, I am not going to do the research, but it seems unlikely.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

Zero GMs cut 3rd rounder after their first pre-season. It happens like once every 8 years.

And what are you basing your analysis on?

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is a stretch IMO as well but others are bringing it up.

With 12 draft picks it stands to reason that more than the usual would wind up on the PS. Being 3rd round, Adams may be safe. But it would be interesting to see a current 53-man projection. He may just be an odd man out?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
With 12 draft picks it stands to reason that more than the usual would wind up on the PS. Being 3rd round, Adams may be safe. But it would be interesting to see a current 53-man projection. He may just be an odd man out?
His draft status was a specific criteria of why I don't believe it is common. I follow the league pretty closely and don't feel it is common for day 1 or 2 drafted players to be cut or put on the practice squad in year 1.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the whole schtick on Adams in the draft was that he was a solid run blocker but a liability in pass protection. This was known before he was drafted. My bet is JG and the boys decided they can coach him up in pass pro... things take time. sometimes more than you want them too. The pick makes sense when you put it in perspective of the offense we now run.
an Olineman pass protects just fine on a play action pass.