Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Yes! Glad to see him stick around to 26'

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score

24. Arizona Cardinals​

Paris Johnson Jr., Elijah Wilkinson, Hjalte Froholdt, Will Hernandez, Jonah Williams

Arizona’s offensive line enters 2024 as a collection of players who have proven to be average in the NFL. The Cardinals return four starters from 2023 in Paris Johnson Jr., Elijah Wilkinson, Hjalte Froholdt and Will Hernandez. Three of those starters finished with PFF grades between 60.0 and 67.0. All four surrendered at least three sacks and 23 pressures last year.

Johnson will transition to the left side of the line after spending 2023 as the team’s right tackle. He showed flashes during his first season but did surrender a team-leading 42 pressures on 685 pass attempts. He has all the tools of a top-end left tackle but needs to show them at the NFL level. Arizona opted to bring in former Bengal Jonah Williams to replace him at right tackle. Williams has three straight seasons with over 1,000 snaps played. He’s given up at least eight sacks and 40 pressures in all three of those seasons.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is from Brandon Thorn who does the Trench Warfare site. He is pretty good.

26. Cardinals (Klayton Adams)

LT Paris Johnson Jr.
LG Isaiah Adams (R)/Evan Brown
C Hjalte Froholdt
RG Will Hernandez
RT Jonah Williams

Notes:
Even though I have the Cardinals slotted low in Tier 4, there is a more favorable long-term outlook than expected due to some offseason additions. They’re also a fun offense as a whole to study with a creative, multiple run game that should be even better with a healthy Kyler Murray this year. The main reason for optimism is at offensive tackle where they should be at least average. Last year’s top-10 pick, Paris Johnson Jr., will move from right to left tackle (his natural position) after a solid rookie year, and Jonah Williams will take over at right. Inside, the team had a breakout season from center Hjalte Froholdt, who is one of the most physically strong/imposing centers in the league. The main question marks come at guard, where they will have a new starter at left guard with the mediocre Will Hernandez at right. This creates some concerns for the interior as a whole considering Froholdt’s one year of quality play, but there’s enough in place personnel-wise to expect improvement as the year progresses.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
This is from Brandon Thorn who does the Trench Warfare site. He is pretty good.

26. Cardinals (Klayton Adams)

LT Paris Johnson Jr.
LG Isaiah Adams (R)/Evan Brown
C Hjalte Froholdt
RG Will Hernandez
RT Jonah Williams

Notes:
Even though I have the Cardinals slotted low in Tier 4, there is a more favorable long-term outlook than expected due to some offseason additions. They’re also a fun offense as a whole to study with a creative, multiple run game that should be even better with a healthy Kyler Murray this year. The main reason for optimism is at offensive tackle where they should be at least average. Last year’s top-10 pick, Paris Johnson Jr., will move from right to left tackle (his natural position) after a solid rookie year, and Jonah Williams will take over at right. Inside, the team had a breakout season from center Hjalte Froholdt, who is one of the most physically strong/imposing centers in the league. The main question marks come at guard, where they will have a new starter at left guard with the mediocre Will Hernandez at right. This creates some concerns for the interior as a whole considering Froholdt’s one year of quality play, but there’s enough in place personnel-wise to expect improvement as the year progresses.
All of these grades seem to focus on pass blocking and not run blocking for some reason? I don't get it.

I certainly think Hernandez in particular has gotten way more consistent. He's definitely better than "medicore" in my opinion.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
If Fro builds off his year last year, he will likely be a top 10 C
Yeah. Do We get the 19th rated C (first Half of the season) Or the 6th rated (2nd Half of the season).

I Think he should solidify himself as a top 10 C with the asterix that he is a good fit in this scheme, But would not nessecary be as good on other teams

Last edited:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All of these grades seem to focus on pass blocking and not run blocking for some reason? I don't get it.

I certainly think Hernandez in particular has gotten way more consistent. He's definitely better than "medicore" in my opinion.
It's because passing is such a big determinant in winning games across the league. We were great running the ball and had an awful record. Bottom 10 teams in passing were Raiders, Broncos. Steelers, Cardinals, Bears, Patriots, Titans, Jets, Giants and Panthers.

In terms of Hernandez, I think he is a league average guy, but I also think AZ has struggled with quality line play for so long, fans view him as better because he has been one of the Cardinals better OL guys. If he is your worst OL starter...your line is probably pretty good. IF he is pushing to be your 3rd best, you have some work to do.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's because passing is such a big determinant in winning games across the league. We were great running the ball and had an awful record. Bottom 10 teams in passing were Raiders, Broncos. Steelers, Cardinals, Bears, Patriots, Titans, Jets, Giants and Panthers.

In terms of Hernandez, I think he is a league average guy, but I also think AZ has struggled with quality line play for so long, fans view him as better because he has been one of the Cardinals better OL guys. If he is your worst OL starter...your line is probably pretty good. IF he is pushing to be your 3rd best, you have some work to do.

You also have to consider that the Cardinals were trotting out Josh Dobbs and Clayton Tune for the first 10 games of the season. That didn't help the passing game stats at all!

I think most of these evaluations are using PFF grades and they are weighted heavily on the passing game which as I mentioned before was limited with the initial QB play the first part of the season. What they are failing to take into account is that the Cardinals were able to run the ball successfully behind this OL when teams knew they were going to run the ball due to the limitations at QB.

How these evaluators don't take into consideration that the Cardinals lead the league with 5ypc rushing the ball is baffling. The Cardinals also led the league with 23 rushes that went for +20 yards or more. That doesn't happen with a sub par OL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You also have to consider that the Cardinals were trotting out Josh Dobbs and Clayton Tune for the first 10 games of the season. That didn't help the passing game stats at all!

I think most of these evaluations are using PFF grades and they are weighted heavily on the passing game which as I mentioned before was limited with the initial QB play the first part of the season. What they are failing to take into account is that the Cardinals were able to run the ball successfully behind this OL when teams knew they were going to run the ball due to the limitations at QB.

How these evaluators don't take into consideration that the Cardinals lead the league with 5ypc rushing the ball is baffling. The Cardinals also led the league with 23 rushes that went for +20 yards or more. That doesn't happen with a sub par OL.
Thorn does his own independent review based upon film. It's one of the reasons I like him.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yesterday I was re-watching Eagles game from last year, the one where we came back to win.

All game long Frodo and PJJ both playing at a very high level. Will H playing capably too.

We won the game on an two yard TD run by Conner to the right side where Will and PJJ got a good push and then Conner obliterated the PHI safety for the score.

Great game by our online. Like, top-five-oline-in-the-league kind of game. Dominant.

So, so hoping we can recreate that this year.

P.S.

Dortch had like 50 catches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake