2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy. The site I saw had the luxury tax payment for GS now at around 14m, not 176m. Wondering if one, that is the payment that was made by GS earlier this summer, but NEXT summer's payment will be less. I think right now the Suns are easily the highest tax payer now.
Yeah, I just looked it up here and this appears to be accurate. Not sure where Bobby Marks got his numbers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not according to this. Man, Golden State Warriors and Clips? People think we are bad.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's what teams paid for last season, the 2023-24 league year. I had the Luxury Tax confused with the apron and thought first apron was for tax teams but GS won't be over the first apron, or second. The first apron is about $16-17 million higher than the tax threshold.

Spotrac.com has their payroll around $176m, which is roughly 500k less than the 1st apron but not quite subject to major penalties the apron teams are. The cap is $140m so they're $36m over that, but need to shed like like $5 million to get under the tax and have plenty of time to do so.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what teams paid for last season, the 2023-24 league year. I had the Luxury Tax confused with the apron and thought first apron was for tax teams but GS won't be over the first apron, or second. The first apron is about $16-17 million higher than the tax threshold.

Spotrac.com has their payroll around $176m, which is roughly 500k less than the 1st apron but not quite subject to major penalties the apron teams are. The cap is $140m so they're $36m over that, but need to shed like like $5 million to get under the tax and have plenty of time to do so.

See later response.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJ McConnell signs a 4 year, $75 million extension with the Pacers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJ McConnell signs a 4 year, $75 million extension with the Pacers.

Good for him. I loved watching him at UA but I never expected him to have much of a pro career. I'm thrilled he's proven so many of us wrong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for him. I loved watching him at UA but I never expected him to have much of a pro career. I'm thrilled he's proven so many of us wrong.

McConnell is a solid point guard. I was hoping the Suns could figure out a way to get him when there were trade rumors floating around. He is a high IQ basketball player who will make the right plays, plus he is a good can shooter.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McConnell is a solid point guard. I was hoping the Suns could figure out a way to get him when there were trade rumors floating around. He is a high IQ basketball player who will make the right plays, plus he is a good can shooter.
I wanted him too. But that is because I thought we had no hope of getting Tyus. Happy how things turned out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clippers sign Ivaca Zubac to a 3 year, $58.6 million extension.

Zubac is a player I always wanted in a Suns uniform.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted him too. But that is because I thought we had no hope of getting Tyus. Happy how things turned out.

The Suns were very lucky to get two of the better point guards that were available.

Both Tyus Jones and Monte Morris were good acquisitions. I viewed Tyus as starter material.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Scrappy/heady bench guy, who can be a spot starter when needed. Every team needs at least one.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
I view Zubac as about the same with Nurk. Together with other deals for C, their mkt value seems from 11-20mil a year. I'd like Nurk extend for about the same price next year.
Indy overpaid for McConnel, for good reasons though. There will always be player like Tyus and Monte, and Trent etc. that are available around the min in each off season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scrappy/heady bench guy, who can be a spot starter when needed. Every team needs at least one.

He's a really good defender too, not just an annoyance, but a high tier guy, despite being non-athletic. He can basically do everything at a high level except shoot the 3... which if you can't do then you're not an elite guard, but he's a damn good player.

If the rumors are true that we could have swapped him and Turner for Ayton... oof, that hurts.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I view Zubac as about the same with Nurk. Together with other deals for C, their mkt value seems from 11-20mil a year. I'd like Nurk extend for about the same price next year.
Indy overpaid for McConnel, for good reasons though. There will always be player like Tyus and Monte, and Trent etc. that are available around the min in each off season.

Nooooooooo no no no.

Zubac is a better defender, way better in the post on both ends, Nurk is a better passer, in a static situation their impact might be similar. But Zubac is 27 and plays about 75 games per season. Nurk is 30, misses about 30 games per season and has never shown himself to be an impactful player. His numbers in the playoffs, throughout his career, are terrible.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nooooooooo no no no.

Zubac is a better defender, way better in the post on both ends, Nurk is a better passer, in a static situation their impact might be similar. But Zubac is 27 and plays about 75 games per season. Nurk is 30, misses about 30 games per season and has never shown himself to be an impactful player. His numbers in the playoffs, throughout his career, are terrible.

This idea that some of you push how Nurk regularly misses 30+ games a year needs a big asterisk. The Blazers tanked and sat him, much like the Suns did with Tyson Chandler when he was here, as well as others. Other than a freak injury of a broken leg, not the typical muscle or connecting tissue that most plagues most NBA players, he's been pretty healthy. We saw last season he played at 100% all game, every game, and only labored some when Ramadan was occurring. He didn't look or play like an injury prone player.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This idea that some of you push how Nurk regularly misses 30+ games a year needs a big asterisk. The Blazers tanked and sat him, much like the Suns did with Tyson Chandler when he was here, as well as others. Other than a freak injury of a broken leg, not the typical muscle or connecting tissue that most plagues most NBA players, he's been pretty healthy. We saw last season he played at 100% all game, every game, and only labored some when Ramadan was occurring. He didn't look or play like an injury prone player.

For a 4 year stretch he missed, minimum, 25 games, sometimes over 60 games... and twice in seasons where the Blazers made the playoffs. They were not sitting him to tank, he was hurt. He got hurt a lot.

In his 10 year career he averages 53 games per season. He is unquestionably injury prone.

Even when healthy, he's been terrible in the playoffs, maybe because of Ramadan or whatever, but he has been awful. His teams have an insanely bad record of 3-17 with him in the playoffs. Portland did have a few playoff runs while he was on the roster but only while he was injured, he's never won a series in his career.

Nurkic is a player that teams can easily exploit when games get serious. We saw it last year when the Wolves ran him off the court.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evan Fournier is signing with a club in Greece.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan Goodwin agrees to a camp deal with the Lakers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tristan Thompson returns to the Cavaliers on a one year contract.