2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was close to the natural dynamo that Amare was. He would have ended up one of the best offensive players of all time, IMO. And if they ever got him a coach that stressed D, he could have been at least solid there as well.

Yeah, he the sky was the limit for him on offense, the dude averaged 38 a night in that series against the Spurs. He was unstoppable, I've never seen a guy with his size have the quickness he did to blow by people on the inside and he LOVED to finish through contact.

He absolutely could have averaged 28 to 30 a night on top tier efficiency if he hadn't had so much of his athleticism sapped.

I read recently that no one does micro fracture surgery anymore, for his type of injury they now use cadaver cartilage, which has a much higher success rate... it's also what was used prior to the brief fad of micro fractures.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Things are out of control when guys like Kuminga are demanding full max contracts. Dude last season averaged 16.2 PPG, 2.2 Assists, 3.9 Rebounds, shot 52.9% from the field, and 32% from 3. He had a decent year last year but he has to do much better than that this year to justify that contract. No way is he worth a max contract right now.

I highlighted the key element. The kuminga demands are backed by potential. What he could be. No one wants to pass on the next JJ so they all overpay.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Suns history. Would you take pre-injury Antonio McDyess or pre-injury Amare Stoudemire, who was for all intense and purposes a replacement for McDyess? I would certainly take pre-injury McDyess, because he could play defense and was no slouch offensively. A more balanced player and probably as good an athlete as Stoudemire.
amare all day every day. Mcdyess was more well rounded but he wasn’t driven like amare. Amare coukd, and would, impose his will on you. Had they both never gotten injured I’m sure amare would have become a HOFer. Mcdyess unlikely.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
More and more studies have shown that giving youth access to a wide variety of athletics lead to far greater outcomes in ability and health down the road than kids that focus on one sport.

There are some obvious ways that have presented on a large stage, like how many successful quarterbacks also played baseball, they learned how to throw from odd angles and on the run, but there are examples all over... Steve Nash playing soccer and seeing the field, the spacing and the passing lanes and expressing that through basketball. Most importantly, physical fitness, having the muscle memory to catch your weight from odd angles, and at the same time not having the constant, repetitive stress from only doing one activity your whole life... for the Ball brothers, running up a hill, for many NBA players, merely jumping and landing and the stress that takes on their knees, we see it the most in baseball, where many pitchers ruin their arms in their early 20s because they've done nothing but throw as hard as they can and nothing else athletically for a decade.
when I played football I would try and blow guys up. I was a FB. But I knew from playing basketball that sometimes "setting screens" could be effective on second and third level blocks. You learn techniques that can be used between sports.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Add Zion to the list of guys who didn't deserve but received the max after his rookie deal. Forgot about him. However he looks trim here, compared to what he was. Hopefully we see what he can do healthy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highlighted the key element. The kuminga demands are backed by potential. What he could be. No one wants to pass on the next JJ so they all overpay.
I could end up being wrong but if GS does this they will regret it with the way the salary cap works now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 76ers will sign Guerschon Yabusele.

I wish the Suns could have found room for him. He could have been that third big man up front behind Nurkic and Plumlee.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guerschon Yabusele will get a one-year minimum deal with Philadephia.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The 76ers will sign Guerschon Yabusele.

I wish the Suns could have found room for him. He could have been that third big man up front behind Nurkic and Plumlee.

You think Yabusele will be better than Oso? Can't develop your rookies if you don't give them real game action.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think Yabusele will be better than Oso? Can't develop your rookies if you don't give them real game action.

I'd prefer a veteran at FC rather than a rookie with the Suns in win now mode.

Hopefully Oso and Dunn develop into NBA players, but we really don't know how long that will take if it happens.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd prefer a veteran at FC rather than a rookie with the Suns in win now mode.

Hopefully Oso and Dunn develop into NBA players, but we really don't know how long that will take if it happens.
But we're talking 3rd string here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But we're talking 3rd string here.

We are only talking about one injury away from needing a backup at forward/center. Yabusele could have played both positions.

I'm not confident Nurkic, Plumlee and Durant can stay healthy all season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If one is looking at the Suns roster in a hypothetical world, I'd prefer to have Guerschon Yabusele over Damion Lee.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at 76ser' roster, Yabusele may be promised the starter position at PF, just like Tyus here.

If I had to bet, I'd venture he doesn't end up in their rotation.

To have so been so ineffective in the NBA during his first stint, even with a 1st round investment from a great franchise, it would be almost unheard of for him to become an impact player at this stage.

He might be a decent end of bench depth guy, but a lot of his hype right now is based on a very brief run of play, against mostly non-NBA competition and playing as an Olympic host.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I had to bet, I'd venture he doesn't end up in their rotation.

To have so been so ineffective in the NBA during his first stint, even with a 1st round investment from a great franchise, it would be almost unheard of for him to become an impact player at this stage.

He might be a decent end of bench depth guy, but a lot of his hype right now is based on a very brief run of play, against mostly non-NBA competition and playing as an Olympic host.

No team bats 1000. Boston hasn't produced a starting caliber rookie since Tatum. They had Nesmith and gave up on him after 2 years for Brogdan, who was probably their best pick and he averaged 4.2 ppg while shooting 41% from the field and averaging 2 board and a half an assist.

Some players need more time and chances to fail. Boston has been contending and hasn't been patient with rookies. They plug them into a role and if they don't produce then they're sent packing.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Looking at 76ser' roster, Yabusele may be promised the starter position at PF, just like Tyus here.
The fact that you are comparing Yabusele to a vet like Jones is mind-boggling. Why would any team promise that player a starter position? Even the worst nba teams wouldn't do that. No matter what their roster looks like.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears Dennis Schroder and Kevin Durant may have a spat going.

Reaction score
I read recently that no one does micro fracture surgery anymore, for his type of injury they now use cadaver cartilage, which has a much higher success rate... it's also what was used prior to the brief fad of micro fractures.
In that case, Amare Stoudemire's athleticism may have been the victim of a fad medical treatment. WIsh they had given him the more conservative treatment.

My memory is fuzzy on this, but it seems to me that Penny Hardaway's knee was also ruined by a microfracture treatment.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isaiah Thomas will work out for the Kings with other free agents this week.