MHJ

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
These revelations don't bother me, but I also wasn't a "Hold the Line" guy for MHJ. I wanted Odunze + picks and Coleman late, if possible.

Curious to know how much of this is driven by out of control draft expectations versus reality. MHJ is plenty fast/talented enough to succeed in the NFL.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Here's every Marv route from Sunday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
this answers a few questions -- decent all -22 on every pass play

on the first 3rd down of the 2nd half, ended in a sack -- no where to go with the ball.

on the fumble -- Kyler misses a chance if he had hit his back foot and ripped the ball the MHJ on the right hash. The only person open after McBride gets tangled with the safety and Kyler has to double clutch.

on the final play (5:00 mark in the video) -- not really sure where else the ball was supposed to go. As he released, Beachum's man was by him and ready to hit Kyler. I think Dortch was the only option there.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Honestly looks like him and some others were jogging the route tree, low effort. No idea what's going on there. And they were blanketed on every play, no separation

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Harrison's gonna be a stud, but how Cardinals would it be for them to take the biggest WR bust, in a loaded WR, with it also being the highest pick out of the teams drafting the position?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Didn't some people knock Coleman for not having elite speed?
Slow 40 (although on par with Michael Wilson)

However, during the gauntlet drill he was as fast as Puka (who was very fast in that as well)
Maybe he should have trained for the 40, after all. His get up and go, has gotten up and went.
Yea makes you wonder.

Although maybe some of the Harrison's reasoning for that might have been to avoid the rookie wall.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Call me crazy or whatever but that just sounds like there wasn’t a lot of effort put into his routes but what do I know
i'd be curious what it is on deep routes vs. short stuff.

Going slow isnt much of a problem (for some wrs) if they recognize coverage well and smoothly find the zone to catch the ball.

DHOP use to do that.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still think Harrison's gonna be a stud, but how Cardinals would it be for them to take the biggest WR bust, in a loaded WR, with it also being the highest pick out of the teams drafting the position?
I think the last WR drafted really high that disappointed was Sammy Watkins. I remember thinking he was going to be a Julio level talent. Mike Evans & Odell were drafted later in the 1st.

For whatever reason Sammy didnt look as explosive in the pros and always had nagging injuries.

Whats likely (hopefully) Marv's lackluster outing was more he didnt get the preseason form out of his system yet. Remember Jamar Chase looked awful until the regular season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
i'd be curious what it is on deep routes vs. short stuff.

Going slow isnt much of a problem (for some wrs) if they recognize coverage well and smoothly find the zone to catch the ball.

DHOP use to do that.
I heard an NFL WR talking about why you'll see your Anquans and Kupps that aren't particularly fast but are still really good receivers: if you run great routes, you can still get separation.

The same is NOT true for CBs. There are times that when a CB is too slow, they are just going to get straight up beat.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Then there’s no reason he looked as sluggish as he did.
Overreaction week (by me).

Does Marv need to have more dawg in him? His father certainly was. Giants preferred Nabers over him because of it. He might have been ready to fight Kyler if he was sitting on 4 yards late in the 4th.

I know the gameplan worked in the 1st half, but I really wish they force fed him early to get his confidence going. Really important K1/Marv communicate with each other going forward.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
on the fumble -- Kyler misses a chance if he had hit his back foot and ripped the ball the MHJ on the right hash. The only person open after McBride gets tangled with the safety and Kyler has to double clutch.

JC is wide open with an empty field in front of him and should have been the 1st read

WeBlitz

Veteran
Reaction score
JC is wide open with an empty field in front of him and should have been the 1st read
Can you explain why that should have been his 1st read? The play looked like it was designed for star TE McBride, but he lost his balance. He was understandably the first read.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s troubling. Kids gotta kick it up a bunch of notches if he wants to be a star in this league.
Have to agree. Many people blamed his QB last year (Kyle McCord) for a less than stellar season at OSU. McCord was forced out at OSU, so he transferred to Syracuse and looks like a Heisman candidate so far this year oof. Here are his stats the last 2 games. And Syracuse obviously doesn’t have the offensive horses that OSU generally has.

Game 1
27/39/354 yds. 4 tds/1 int

Game 2
32/46/381. 4 tds/0 int

Certainly doesn’t appear that McCord was holding him back.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Amazing how the talking heads are piling on MHJ after one game. Guy recorded one of the fastest on field speeds in college of 20+ mph.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing how the talking heads are piling on MHJ after one game. Guy recorded one of the fastest on field speeds in college of 20+ mph.
Piling on? No.. But this is making us curious. Seems odd at minimum.

"There have been 1,730 games played by individual wide receivers with at least 25 offensive snaps since the start of 2023. If we look at the top speed for each of those player games, Harrison Jr.'s 16.7 ranks 1,699th on that list."

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Piling on? No.. But this is making us curious. Seems odd at minimum.

"There have been 1,730 games played by individual wide receivers with at least 25 offensive snaps since the start of 2023. If we look at the top speed for each of those player games, Harrison Jr.'s 16.7 ranks 1,699th on that list."
No, to clarify, I wasn't talking about the forum. I was referring to Twitter as the talking heads.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is it possible the particular routes being run by MHJ didn’t require speed but precision?

In other words was he required to run routes showcasing one’s speed?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Is it possible the particular routes being run by MHJ didn’t require speed but precision?

In other words was he required to run routes showcasing one’s speed?
Almost certainly a combination of this and maybe just not moving with 100% confidence and certainty within the routes. Obviously he can get up to these speeds.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake