The Edge issue

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There's been a lot of concern about our Edge rush. It's an obvious weakness, and after Sunday I've seen a number of fans and people like Johnny Venerable criticise Monti for not doing more.

My question is, what "more" could that have been? Below is a list of FA Edge signed this offseason. Who on this list were you banging the table for or would have signed in hindsight at these prices? Which draft pick would you have done differently?

For me, the only guy here that stands out is Chase Young. He's still young, and has obvious upside. It's easy to say he should have done something, but with the collective brains of this board, what is it?

Lots of better options than just sitting on the money. Young, hunter, greenard and clowney were are available. Also, Burns, Judon and Reddick were all probably available for trade.
To think gardeck and an unproven 2nd year player were the answer is just ridiculous

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Gardeck is a ST player on a good NFL roster.
That he’s a starter, and people are counting on him for production, is mind boggling.

I like the guy, he’s all effort. He’s just not very good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No way this org signs a merc like Clowney. Plus I believe he said he was attracted to going back home. The other guys are no better than Gardeck/Zaven.
Danna has 17.5 career sacks and is good enough to play over 35% snaps for a Super Bowl team. Gardeck has two seasons n his career over 35% snaps and it was for two of the worst teams in the NFL those seasons. You don’t know what you are talking about.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Hey now, our 2 big pass rush draft picks are injured. Again….
I think it’s Pottsville.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Monti has spent 3 picks in the top 3 rounds on CBs and paid Sean Murphy-Bunting as a top 25 CB in the last two offseasons.

He has only spent 1 pick in the top 3 rounds on an EDGE and hasn't signed any notable free agents at the position.

Considering the results, I think it's more than fair to question his allocation of resources. Especially when Starling Thomas is still out there getting burned regularly despite the additions.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Danna has 17.5 career sacks and is good enough to play over 35% snaps for a Super Bowl team. Gardeck has two seasons n his career over 35% snaps and it was for two of the worst teams in the NFL those seasons. You don’t know what you are talking about.

Weird then that I said back in the offseason we should sign Danna. But he's a depth piece that has only played started snaps once in his career (last year) and averages a sack every 133 snaps. And I'd argue a high proportion of them come from playing next to Chris Jones.

If you think he's moving the needle for this starting defense you don't know what you're talking about. He'd improve our rotation but not sure it would be wise to pay over $8m for that. I was interested at $3-4m. Also, why would he sign here when he could sign back with the Chiefs? For all you know Monti was all over him but he wanted to stay there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you are fine with Collins as a 2nd edge, you should have no issues with Kyler as a QB.

lol, and how to you figure that?

How exactly do you equate a role that has to be competent at contain and get you 8 sacks a year if you are lucky (Markus Golden had several seasons with sub 5) with the man that runs the offense and touches the ball every snap?

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of better options than just sitting on the money. Young, hunter, greenard and clowney were are available. Also, Burns, Judon and Reddick were all probably available for trade.
To think gardeck and an unproven 2nd year player were the answer is just ridiculous

The front 7 appears absolutely stacked for next year's draft. On CBS Sports ratings, 15 of the top 50 rated prospects are EDGE (9) and DT (6) - including 4 of the top 10 and 6 of the top 13. I don't look at a trade as just the pick compensation we are giving up, but more as "Is Hassan Reddick on a big contract better for the overall composition of the team than trying to land 2 or 3 front 7 guys early in next year's draft". Doesn't solve for this year obviously, but if you are giving up draft compensation and giving a veteran a big contract, it will absolutely impact how your allocate the rest of the resources on your team. I'm not saying that trading for/paying Reddick and drafting an EDGE in round 1 next year to really shore up the position would be a terrible move, but it's investing a lot in the position when there are a lot of other holes to be filled to build a championship caliber roster.
Yes mykell Williams Georgia.James Pearce Tenn ..nic scourtoun..aggies ..all would look good in red…adding them to Darius and hopefully bj ojulari stays healthy and we got something going….

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Weird then that I said back in the offseason we should sign Danna. But he's a depth piece that has only played started snaps once in his career (last year) and averages a sack every 133 snaps. And I'd argue a high proportion of them come from playing next to Chris Jones.

If you think he's moving the needle for this starting defense you don't know what you're talking about. He'd improve our rotation but not sure it would be wise to pay over $8m for that. I was interested at $3-4m. Also, why would he sign here when he could sign back with the Chiefs? For all you know Monti was all over him but he wanted to stay there.

Who do we sign?. Can’t sign stars but also can’t sign guys who don’t move the needle. Basically, this was one of the best FA edge markets with high priced players and mid range players. We signed none. That’s the problem.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
lol, and how to you figure that?

How exactly do you equate a role that has to be competent at contain and get you 8 sacks a year if you are lucky (Markus Golden had several seasons with sub 5) with the man that runs the offense and touches the ball every snap?
Because you are arguing for an edge player who can’t rush the passer. He can’t do his fundamental job. Kyler, as flawed as he is, is significantly better at QB than Collins is at EDGE.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who do we sign?. Can’t sign stars but also can’t sign guys who don’t move the needle. Basically, this was one of the best FA edge markets with high priced players and mid range players. We signed none. That’s the problem.

Mike Danna ain't moving the needle on this defense. I don't know what else to say.

We could have signed him so people could say we did something I guess. But in reality we'd all be here just saying "I can't believe they only signed Mike Danna".

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because you are arguing for an edge player who can’t rush the passer. He can’t do his fundamental job. Kyler, as flawed as he is, is significantly better at QB than Collins is at EDGE.

Well yeah, never said he wasn't, but a guys who's made to be Edge #2 at best is obviously less important.

Let's not forget Zaven was the best rated defender last week and had a perfectly good Edge rush sack bogusly ruled RTP. I can see positive trends in a guy that's only 18 games into playing Edge.

Kyler has a much more important job and I think most people here would agree he's not doing it to the level expected of a 6th year #1 overall pick getting paid $45m.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mike Danna ain't moving the needle on this defense. I don't know what else to say.

We could have signed him so people could say we did something I guess. But in reality we'd all be here just saying "I can't believe they only signed Mike Danna".
Danna would be our best Edge RN

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

SO you are saying Monti missed by not signing a higher priced guy like Danielle Hunter?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Disagree. While many have tried to make the term Edge synonymous with Pass Rusher, they are not. Setting an edge, stuffing the run, and dropping into coverage are all important facets of the Edge job description.
Collins is really good at every facet except pass rushing...and I think it's safe to say he has improved in that area...when you consider he would have logged a sack last week against Allen but for a call that never would have been made against guys like Danny Dimes, Derek Carr. Or Sam Darnold.... then Collins already got a clean sack on Stafford in the first half... Collins is tracking for 8-10 sacks in his 2nd year at OLB... not star quality for sure. But not trash,...and an excellent compliment if we get a star pass rusher across from him.