10 thoughts - Saints game

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Still don't see anything about you stating it was a mistake. Some like him some didn't. I guess we'll see. Several experts were quoted as saying they like the pick as a guard. Some even said probowl potential.
Adams will get stronger and will be NFL ready next year. I am not worried about him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Still don't see anything about you stating it was a mistake. Some like him some didn't. I guess we'll see. Several experts were quoted as saying they like the pick as a guard. Some even said probowl potential.
Yeah, I might have been keeping mum trying to be positive--for once. Or it could be I completely misremembered. I am getting older and almost completely gray and white :D

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Us taking Palmer over Whittington does make me feel bad. Whittington was a difference maker on a very good Texas team, his main knock was injury concerns and top end speed but his route running, hands and YAC are great. I didn't realize he was still available in the 6th. I guess our scouts like Palmer's physical profile more, maybe they think he has more potential to develop.

The Rams have the best scouts in the league, I don't think it’s debatable.
What is this post? lmao

It’s been one preseason game.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What is this post? lmao

It’s been one preseason game.
The rams having the best scouts in the league is based off of the last 7 years of results, not one preseason game. Their entire strategy for the McVay era has been reliant on them finding gems in the late rounds and they have done that consistently.

Whittington being a steal is based off my thoughts about him before the draft. I thought he should have been a 4th rounder, and I didn't realize he was on the board when we took Palmer.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The rams having the best scouts in the league is based off of the last 7 years of results,
The Rams have had a number of REALLY bad drafts. Last years draft was definitely not normal by anyone's standards.
not one preseason game. Their entire strategy for the McVay era has been reliant on them finding gems in the late rounds and they have done that consistently.
They have found a few, but after some early success they literally went years without finding any good players.

One departure the Rams have from a lot of other NFL teams is that they don't care too much about workout numbers and care more about game tape. Kyren Williams is amongst the worst athletes at RB in the NFL and he was pretty damn good last year.
Whittington being a steal is based off my thoughts about him before the draft. I thought he should have been a 4th rounder, and I didn't realize he was on the board when we took Palmer.
Eh I don't see a 1st round grade. Not a great athlete and wasn't super productive either. 4th was absolutely a reach for Whittington.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
The rams having the best scouts in the league is based off of the last 7 years of results, not one preseason game. Their entire strategy for the McVay era has been reliant on them finding gems in the late rounds and they have done that consistently.

A general comment…

We have get out of the draft hype player mindset.

Monti possibly have pulled off the Two best consecutive draft for this team for the last 20 years. Why? Because he scouts for system fit and not trying to win the draft in the media like Keim. Keim Tried to swing for the fences with every single Pick irregardless of How the player fit the team. He hit on some, missed on many, But same result every time - depleted the team of depth.

Some players drafted late by other teams Will shine and be a Steal. Part of the game.

Some of those players Might Never look Good in a different scheme. Part of the game.

Biggest Steal so far looks to be the passrusher Bears took Mid 5th round.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A general comment…

We have get out of the draft hype player mindset.

Monti possibly have pulled off the Two best consecutive draft for this team for the last 20 years. Why?

Better question is why you believe he pulled off the best consecutive drafts this team has seen?

Last year’s draft has one solid starter from it with upside from our first rounder, looks like nothing from its 2nd rounder and jury is out on everyone else.

And we made a TON of picks this year, but we have no idea if any of them pan out this year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Better question is why you believe he pulled off the best consecutive drafts this team has seen?

Last year’s draft has one solid starter from it with upside from our first rounder, looks like nothing from its 2nd rounder and jury is out on everyone else.

And we made a TON of picks this year, but we have no idea if any of them pan out this year.
Seriously. Least talented roster in some time last season and we had 2 regular starters from the rookie draft class.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

1. I Said possibly - didn’t conclude Anything.

2. Not sure How you count players and who the 1 player is.
As of now, I count 3 starters and 3 back-ups to make the roster from last years draft + injured projected starter in BJ.
This year’s draft I’m counting MHJ and DR as starters. Reiman as a possible starter due the scheme and Melton fighting for a starting spot. And at least 2 as key back-ups and potential future starters.

You are correct in saying that We do not know How that They would Pan out. That is Why I Said possibly! But the Outlook right now looks pretty Damn Good.
You Can argue that I’m too optimistic and We haven’t seen anything on the field yet. True.
But I Can also argue that counting everything Wilson and Williams showed last year and so far in Camp as Nothing is not correct

21 draft picks in Two year. Only 1 single player looks to be far away from a roster spot.

Last edited:

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score

As of now, I count 3 starters and 3 back-ups to make the roster from last years draft + injured projected starter in BJ.
This year’s draft I’m counting MHJ and DR as starters. Reiman as a possible starter due the scheme and Melton fighting for a starting spot. And at least 2 as key back-ups and potential future starters.

You are correct in saying that We do not know How that They would Pan out. That is Why I Said possibly! But the Outlook right now looks pretty Damn Good.
You Can argue that I’m too optimistic and We haven’t seen anything on the field yet. True.
But I Can also argue that counting everything Wilson and Williams showed last year and so far in Camp as Nothing is not correct

21 draft picks in Two year. Only 1 single player looks to be far away from a roster spot.
I’m with you on the optimistic side. It’s fair to say the jury is still out- but I agree with your statement that of all the draft picks, very few are barely hanging in there for a roster spot conversation.

The largest blemishes so far have been BJ and Gaines- both plagued by injuries. Maybe some want to blame monti for that, it’s tough for me to do it. News out of camp on these guys were very positive, just bad luck.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was more-so talking about the Whittington statement than anything. I just think it’s wild to make that assertion off of just one preseason game, but if you’re that high on him then I respect it.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I was more-so talking about the Whittington statement than anything. I just think it’s wild to make that assertion off of just one preseason game, but if you’re that high on him then I respect it.
Judging by the Extremely Small sample size, the by far biggest Steal of the draft looks to be the Mid 5th round edge rusher from Kansas that the Bears drafted

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

It's like saying we could possibly win the Super Bowl. Yeah it is a possibility but not very likely based on current information.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Judging by the Extremely Small sample size, the by far biggest Steal of the draft looks to be the Mid 5th round edge rusher from Kansas that the Bears drafted
Austin Booker was a very interesting prospect. rSoph with limited experience but nice traits. Not a shock if he is showing well.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

You are too optimistic. This is hopium at it's finest. The good news is there is a large space between best two drafts ever and Keim-like drafts. It's no worries if Monti finds a spot in there. Now, whether that will be good enough to produce wins with his hesitancy in FA and trades is to be seen. If Williams, Jones, Nichols, and SMB out-produce their contracts then things are looking very good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The 3rd round of this past draft will be a little telling for Monti. He passed on some players for other players at similar positions, and then took some players for specific roles which could end up looking real dumb.

It's super early and this is pure speculation, but taking Xavier Thomas over Austin Booker is an evaluation piece.

Taking a RB in round is only smart if it works. Especially if he is the 2nd RB off the board.

Taking a blocking TE in round 3 only is a narrow window of value.

Taking an OG from Canada instead of Zak Zinter (whose injury has not impacted his ability to play in week 1 of the preseason) was a questionable choice.

Taking a low ceiling CB at the end of round 3 when you invested two 2023 draft picks, a top FA signing, and a 2nd round pick at CB is a narrow window of value.

There isn't an expectation that Monti hits on every pick but it is the portfolio of the draft which can be questioned. If you naturally miss on some picks and then draft players with a limited ability to impact your roster at others, you can easily wind up with a underwhelming draft class that was supposed to be your foundation.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
It's like saying we could possibly win the Super Bowl. Yeah it is a possibility but not very likely based on current information.
If everyone develop as hoped - yes in 2 years.

But as I says in almost EVERY single post. Not all talent develop as hoped

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If everyone develop as hoped - yes in 2 years.

But as I says in almost EVERY single post. Not all talent develop as hoped
I understand what you are saying but it is a 5%(?) probability outcome. It's no different than comping Michael Wilson to pro bowl WRs after one year with minimal production. Such a narrow outcome that it's not realistic to have that convo at this time.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but it is a 5%(?) probability outcome. It's no different than comping Michael Wilson to pro bowl WRs after one year with minimal production. Such a narrow outcome that it's not realistic to have that convo at this time.
I disagree, because I do not have the illusion that all draft picks develop into pro-bowlers. I never said Wilson would be a Pro-bowler. I said he looks the part of a starting caliber WR in the NFL.

Keim build this team with High-End talent and fringe players to make the roster. Monti is actual building the depth of the team. The High-end talent is lacking or unproven, but for the first time in forever there is a players that match the talent level of what is being expected for a back-up G, the 4th CB, 3rd ILB etc. for a quality NFL team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
players that match the talent level of what is being expected for a back-up G, the 4th CB, 3rd ILB etc. for a quality NFL team.
Why is this important? What does it matter if Elijah Jones is better than Antonio Hamilton? How does that get us further toward being better than the 4-13 team we were last year?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why is this important? What does it matter if Elijah Jones is better than Antonio Hamilton? How does that get us further toward being better than the 4-13 team we were last year?
Oh we’ll be much better than last year although it will not impact our won/loss.

I’m expecting a top ten pick and possibly top 5.

A lot of things including turnovers will need to go our way to surprise me.

Basically saying if you are using won/loss as a determining metric for a improved team you are setting the framework for disappointment:)

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I'm confused....

You are the poster that posts the weekly snap count after every single game.

Are you seriously telling me that you have never noticed in your posts that the list contains about 40 players and not 22?

Do you not believe the quality of the entire roster impacts the overall play of the team?

You haven't noticed that NFL teams use waay more rotations and not only play their starters.

Do you actually want to go back to having a bunch of pro-bowlers on the team but also having a RB as your starting CB? What does a pro-bowler matter in that scenario?

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Oh we’ll be much better than last year although it will not impact our won/loss.

I’m expecting a top ten pick and possibly top 5.

A lot of things including turnovers will need to go our way to surprise me.

Basically saying if you are using won/loss as a determining metric for a improved team you are setting the framework for disappointment:)
If we're picking top 5 again, Monti isn't doing his job. Simple as. I can definitely see us not having a great record but showing improvement, but if we aren't improving our win factor by 2 or 3 games at least, the rebuild is failing miserably. This isn't a slow rebuild league, and good GMs/coaches can improve teams drastically in a short amount of time.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
If we're picking top 5 again, Monti isn't doing his job. Simple as. I can definitely see us not having a great record but showing improvement, but if we aren't improving our win factor by 2 or 3 games at least, the rebuild is failing miserably. This isn't a slow rebuild league, and good GMs/coaches can improve teams drastically in a short amount of time.
I agree. The schedule will limit the number of wins, but anything lower than 7 wins will be a huge disappointment. That would be around the 10th to 12th pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky