2006 Cardinals: Is Dennis Green a Fraud?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the Cardinals signed Dennis Green I was very excited. One of my coworkers who is a die hard Packer fan came down and told me that signing Green was a mistake and the Nutty Professor would bring the Cardinals down with him.

I refused to believe him and he went on to tell me how Green made questionable decisions all the time and was really poor at managing a game. At the time I just took it as sour grapes from a Packer fan that hated the Vikings. Now I see that he was right.

Green has no business being on the sideline. He is a decent talent evaluator but is a poor coach.

I don't agree with everything that Walter posted but it's clear that Dennis Green is not what was advertised to us. He needs to go.

Big T

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Walter,
Speaking for myself, I've enjoyed reading your comments and posts for many years. I haven't always agreed with everything you've said, but you have always seemed to be more accurate, show more knowledge of what you are talking about, etc., than most of those who jump on your case.
I've also noticed that often its primarily the same group of people who tend to repeatedly attack you so often. And yet, as you pointed out, seldom, if ever do any of them answer your challenge to specifically counter or rebutt your comments.
Notice the deafing silence here on this thread alone.
Also I think that being attacked here, could well be a badge of honor, based on actual history.
(I also think the most humorous and ironic post I've seen in awhile is the one posted here by the Canadian who seems to diss you as being "a great English teacher as a coach" while he himself most often dedicates HIS posts to correcting others grammar or spelling mistakes rather than address the actual issues at hand. Now that's funny!)
Keep posting, even if you are a lone voice in the wilderness.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Walter,
Speaking for myself, I've enjoyed reading your comments and posts for many years. I haven't always agreed with everything you've said, but you have always seemed to be more accurate, show more knowledge of what you are talking about, etc., than most of those who jump on your case.
I've also noticed that often its primarily the same group of people who tend to repeatedly attack you so often. And yet, as you pointed out, seldom, if ever do any of them answer your challenge to specifically counter or rebutt your comments.
Notice the deafing silence here on this thread alone.
Also I think that being attacked here, could well be a badge of honor, based on actual history.
(I also think the most humorous and ironic post I've seen in awhile is the one posted here by the Canadian who seems to diss you as being "a great English teacher as a coach" while he himself most often dedicates HIS posts to correcting others grammar or spelling mistakes rather than address the actual issues at hand. Now that's funny!)
Keep posting, even if you are a lone voice in the wilderness.

Here here.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the Cardinals signed Dennis Green I was very excited. One of my coworkers who is a die hard Packer fan came down and told me that signing Green was a mistake and the Nutty Professor would bring the Cardinals down with him.

I refused to believe him and he went on to tell me how Green made questionable decisions all the time and was really poor at managing a game. At the time I just took it as sour grapes from a Packer fan that hated the Vikings. Now I see that he was right.

Green has no business being on the sideline. He is a decent talent evaluator but is a poor coach.

I don't agree with everything that Walter posted but it's clear that Dennis Green is not what was advertised to us. He needs to go.

What exactly did Denny bring down? An enept franchise worried about being brought down by bringing in Green? If nothing else, he bought in enough talent to actually field an NFL team. I am not sure another coach could have even done that.

Kudos for the moves that he has made off the field. A big shame on you for the product on the field.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
There's a few of us that disliked Green from the start, I think the common theme there is that we are all older, maybe we've just seen the same dog and pony show before to know how it ends is all.

I did not think he'd fail this bad, never in a million years, I just knew that he had some shortcommings that were going to bite us, never figured he'd fail this badly at all.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Let's hear your rebuttal. How about it? Enlighten us as to all the reasons why Green is the man and the right coach. Go ahead. Don't be cowardly...don't just sit there and take a cheap shot...try putting yourself out on a limb for once.

For the record, I was one of the first to suggest that Mac was in over his head. Get your facts straight.

You must judge a coach by his record with his team. In that Dennis is the worst coach in the NFL at the moment. He presented himself as one who would make us a winner promptly. That clearly makes him a fraud and further more makes our selection of him as not very bright. One has to wonder just how deep the Cardinal organization looked into Dennis Green the Coach. Who could possible want him back as our head coach next year? Better yet--Why?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mitch, in politics, it isn't always what you say it is how you say it. People have rebutted you a hundred different times before. That isnt the issue. The issue is your constant whining about DG is soooo old, tiresome, and frequent that everyone who reads becomes instantly naseous.

Get a new schtick so people will actually respond to you.

I for one think Mitch's takes are informative. I do not always agree with him but do more times than no. His complaints about DG seem to me almost nation wide as everywhere I look on the net the topic is when will DG be fired? Mitch is not alone in his criticism of Green. It is widespread on this board and in the media. Keep it coming Mitch.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I did not think he'd fail this bad, never in a million years, I just knew that he had some shortcommings that were going to bite us, never figured he'd fail this badly at all.
I figured that he was good enough to make us better, then we could replace him to get us over the hump. We've got talent but not a talented team.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Keep Green for these reasons:

1. Talent level is way up because of Green. He can evaluate talent hands down.

2. This is a team that couldn NOT score in the first half of games let alone the first quarter. This team has looked damn near unstoppable in the first half of games. This team's current problem is HOLDING LEADS! That's right I said leads!

3. Any Cardinals team over the last 10 years would have completely folded against the Bears and maybe not scored a single point and probably blown out by 40 points or more. All of the games thus far this year have been close games except the Falcons game.

I've told people all PRESEASON we weren't quite there yet. (They all wanted to make big bets on Cardinals game versus the team they root for: Denver, Rams, Cowboys, Bears) I made a few of them but really wanted to wait to see real games and how our offensive line would perform. I knew we would finally get an answer on whether it was the line's problem or the running back's problem in not being able to run the ball. We all now know the answer.

I wasn't exactly sure if Loney could fix the line, though I'll admit, I thought he could. This has been Green's biggest failure in his tenure here. I didn't really like the way he handled Kendall but I think he was trying to send a message as to who was running the show. It is true, it's Green's way or the highway, but Green's roads have been paved with a lot of golden wins so it's hard to argue with his methods.

Bidwill didn't help when he shut down his checkbook after the Edge signing, either. It's hard to determine how much help for the line could have been brought in with that last remaining cap money. To Bidwill's credit he did bring in Milford Brown and get rookie Deuce Litui and they should prove to be beneficial in building the talent level similar to the way the defensive line has built up it's talent over the last few years. But it has been proven they weren't enough. This is hardly Dennis Green's fault.

Green needs two things in order to be successful for years to come: A good offensive line and bring in a TOP Offensive Coordinator.

Get rid of Green because he has the worst record in the NFL! That is the bottom line of what this game is about.

chickenhead

Reaction score
There are a lot of criticisms to be made regarding a declining record under Green's tenure, but I don't think fraudulence and luck really apply. Sure, Green's attitude upon arrival now smacks of "you've got a winner in town," and rightly so. This just means he needs to be accountable for the failure, not for the statement. Personally, I wouldn't have been so into a new coach saying that he'd try his best and we'll see what happens.

Maybe he inherited some quality players in Minnesota, and maybe he's had some good fortune in the draft. He may have made a boneheaded move in cutting Kendall (or in not being able to replace him), but he didn't inherit all that much in Arizona. I also know that he's had several good drafts in row in Arizona, compared to atrocious Cardinals drafts for years prior. That's a big net positive for me. This season may be as bad as any I can remember, but I do know that I will feel better about the coming season than I did for years, mainly because at least I don't think we are a team where a few good players languish anymore.

THAT BEING SAID: Green may be like a Buck Showalter in the NFL--a coach who wears out their welcome, but whose positives are very usable by the incoming replacement. Unfortunately Minnesota ended up with Tice, and hopefully we won't end up with the equivalent if Green moves on. So basically, I'm not proposing that Green stay, but that he won't be leaving the organization in ruins.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There are a lot of criticisms to be made regarding a declining record under Green's tenure, but I don't think fraudulence and luck really apply. Sure, Green's attitude upon arrival now smacks of "you've got a winner in town," and rightly so. This just means he needs to be accountable for the failure, not for the statement. Personally, I wouldn't have been so into a new coach saying that he'd try his best and we'll see what happens.

Maybe he inherited some quality players in Minnesota, and maybe he's had some good fortune in the draft. He may have made a boneheaded move in cutting Kendall (or in not being able to replace him), but he didn't inherit all that much in Arizona. I also know that he's had several good drafts in row in Arizona, compared to atrocious Cardinals drafts for years prior. That's a big net positive for me. This season may be as bad as any I can remember, but I do know that I will feel better about the coming season than I did for years, mainly because at least I don't think we are a team where a few good players languish anymore.

THAT BEING SAID: Green may be like a Buck Showalter in the NFL--a coach who wears out their welcome, but whose positives are very usable by the incoming replacement. Unfortunately Minnesota ended up with Tice, and hopefully we won't end up with the equivalent if Green moves on. So basically, I'm not proposing that Green stay, but that he won't be leaving the organization in ruins.

Good post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan