2006 Cardinals: Roster Decisions

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
If you had to make the call in these scenarios....what would you do?

1. #3 QB: John Navarre, Rohan Davey or new signee?

2. #10 OL: Jeremy Bridges or Fred Wakefield?

3. Let's say that the team has decided to double John Bronson as a FB and #3 TE...therefore you must decide...#2 TE: Eric Edwards or Adam Bergen?

4. Let's say that the team has decided to keep a #6 WR...is it Carlyle Holiday, Michael Spurlock, Todd Watkins or Greg Lee?

5. Let's say Reggie Wells is switched over to center...the #2 C: Alex Stepanovich or Nick Leckey?

6. Let's say the team is sure of the following LBers: Dansby, Darling, Huff, Hayes, Pace...and only intends to keep 2 more...#6, #7 LBers: Darryl Blackstock, Lance Mitchell, Brandon Johnson, Mark Brown?

7. Let's say the team wants to keep a #5 CB behind Rolle, Macklin, Reid and Green...#5 CB: Robert Tate, Dyshod Carter, Darrell Hunter, Jay McCariens, or Justin Wyatt?

8. Let's say the team wants to keep only 4 safeties and Wilson, Griffith and Francisco are in...#4 S: Jack Brewer or Ernest Shazor?

9. #1 P: Scott Player or Fred Capshaw?

10. Let's say the team is trying to decide on the #53 player...and they have narrowed it down to three: LB Mark Brown, SS Ernest Shazor or CB Darrell Hunter...who would it be?

Here are my answers (subject to change after tomorrow's game!):

1. New #3 QB...preferrably a veteran or a young player with a little experience, like Shane Boyd.

2. Jeremy Bridges...he's more versatile.

3. Adam Bergen...better upside in the passing game.

4. Michael Spurlock...would add the most value on STs.

5. Nick Leckey...more reliable and more sound fundamentally.

6. Daryl Blackstock and Brandon Johnson...Blackstock is improving on STs and needs time to develop as an OLB, but there's too much talent to pass up here and Johnson is a unique athlete who will be a real asset covering the likes of TE Vernon Davis and Jeremy Stevens...gut feeling: Lance Mitchell will be placed on the IR this year...if he is waived, he's PS eligible, so that mitigates the decision.

7. Robert Tate...he's a savvy veteran who plays hard...and quite well at times...although if Carter turns some head again this week...???

8. Jack Brewer...may well be the best STs player on the roster and we all know how lousy the STs cover teams were last year.

9. Fred Capshaw...the guy's leg is too strong to pass up and we can lock him up at a reasonable salary for 3-4 years. Plus, Scott Player has trade value...I guarantee it.

10. LB Mark Brown...can help us in so many ways...on STs...on goalline defense...Shazor and Hunter are PS eligible.

seesred

Reaction score

3. Let's say that the team has decided to double John Bronson as a FB and #3 TE...therefore you must decide...#2 TE: Eric Edwards or Adam Bergen?

4. Let's say that the team has decided to keep a #6 WR...is it Carlyle Holiday, Michael Spurlock, Todd Watkins or Greg Lee?

5. Let's say Reggie Wells is switched over to center...the #2 C: Alex Stepanovich or Nick Leckey?

6. Let's say the team is sure of the following LBers: Dansby, Darling, Huff, Hayes, Pace...and only intends to keep 2 more...#6, #7 LBers: Darryl Blackstock, Lance Mitchell, Brandon Johnson, Mark Brown?

7. Let's say the team wants to keep a #5 CB behind Rolle, Macklin, Reid and Green...#5 CB: Robert Tate, Dyshod Carter, Darrell Hunter, Jay McCariens, or Justin Wyatt?

8. Let's say the team wants to keep only 4 safeties and Wilson, Griffith and Francisco are in...#4 S: Jack Brewer or Ernest Shazor?

10. Let's say the team is trying to decide on the #53 player...and they have narrowed it down to three: LB Mark Brown, SS Ernest Shazor or CB Darrell Hunter...who would it be?

IMO

#1. I would like to see us poick someone up, but since that wont happen I'll go with Navarrre this year.

#2.Bridges
#3.Bergen , but I do think Edwards is a better blocker.
#4. Tough one, Watkins..speed and special team player
#5.Step
#6.Blackstock and Johnson
#7. Tate for now but I like Carters upside
#8.Shazor big upside
#10. Shazor

Many of these moves are very hard. Players all offer different attributes.

GBR

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score

I'm not comfortable with either but if we get down to our #3 the season is sunk anyways - I say keep Navarre for now. You can cut him and pick up another down the road if someone special hits the waiver wire.

Neither, new guy Gorin. Fred may hit the bricks after final cuts.

I like Bergen's hands better.

Haven't seen enough of Lee. Tough choice I'll dump the former QBs and go with Watkins.

Leckey seems to have the system a little better.

Blackstock & Johnson, although Johnson may hit the PS with Brown and keep Mitchell.

Tate, even though he's older, I like a seasoned vet back there. Hunter should be PS.

Brewer seems to have had a better camp/preseason. Got to go that way.

Player. Capshaw to the PS.

Hunter, need the depth at CB. We've had such a bad history of CB injuries, that's where we need the help most.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I posted a BRS piece covering possible cuts by Tues. I concluded that (a) there were roughly a dozen guys who were probably on the bubble and another 15 or so who were probably on the bubble too but wouldn't be cut this soon. (i.e. why make early cutdown decisions that could come back to haunt us - when it'd make more sense to bid our time til certain roster issues started to sort themselves out).

For example:

- Dansby

- Anticipated date of Ross's return

- Ken King (IR him? Or keep him active til he can play at or around the 6th game mark?)

- How the O-Line was shaking out.

- How relatively healthy we remain at CB

I also pointed out in the piece that - as there usually is at this stage of preseason - there will be at least one unexpected cut that will surprise us all.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

1. #3 QB: John Navarre, Rohan Davey or new signee? John Navarre. Even though he sucks, hopefully he will only be required to hold the clipboard and carry Warner and Lienart's shoes. Also, Green still likes him for some reason.

2. #10 OL: Jeremy Bridges or Fred Wakefield? Based on today's note from Jureki, if it is remotely correct, this may be a moot point and both may be in. But if needs to be chosen, probably Bridges as he played resonable at RT last game. Wakefield looks like still has technique issues based on reports and not sure how long it will take him, or ever, to correct the issues.

3. Let's say that the team has decided to double John Bronson as a FB and #3 TE...therefore you must decide...#2 TE: Eric Edwards or Adam Bergen? Eric Edwards.

4. Let's say that the team has decided to keep a #6 WR...is it Carlyle Holiday, Michael Spurlock, Todd Watkins or Greg Lee? Carlyle Holiday. Decent performance last game.

5. Let's say Reggie Wells is switched over to center...the #2 C: Alex Stepanovich or Nick Leckey? Nick Leckey. Seems to be better than Step although not by much.

6. Let's say the team is sure of the following LBers: Dansby, Darling, Huff, Hayes, Pace...and only intends to keep 2 more...#6, #7 LBers: Darryl Blackstock, Lance Mitchell, Brandon Johnson, Mark Brown? Tough. Go with Blackstock and Johnson. More upside.

7. Let's say the team wants to keep a #5 CB behind Rolle, Macklin, Reid and Green...#5 CB: Robert Tate, Dyshod Carter, Darrell Hunter, Jay McCariens, or Justin Wyatt? Tate. Proven last season.

8. Let's say the team wants to keep only 4 safeties and Wilson, Griffith and Francisco are in...#4 S: Jack Brewer or Ernest Shazor? Shazor.

9. #1 P: Scott Player or Fred Capshaw? Player. Has anyone notice his performance decline?

10. Let's say the team is trying to decide on the #53 player...and they have narrowed it down to three: LB Mark Brown, SS Ernest Shazor or CB Darrell Hunter...who would it be? Shazor.

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
I expect Lee to get some time tonight. Business is business but being friends with Fitz goes a long way I am sure.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Slacker said:
I expect Lee to get some time tonight. Business is business but being friends with Fitz goes a long way I am sure.
Lee is an interesting player. He was actually rated the #1 WR prospect by many just one year ago.

From #1 to undrafted because of a new scheme, bad attitude towards the new coaching staff and bad work-outs. Unreal.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Navarre is a #3 QB. He's our #3 RB.

Wakefield. Bridges might habe more flexibility, but we already have too many guards on the roster, and with Gorin in place, I'm still interested in the Wakefield experiment.

First, it's not going to happen. All three named TEs on the roster are going to make this team. That said, Eric Edwards is more of an all-around player. The Cardinals already have a receiving TE in Pope.

Spurlock. I think he has the most potential among this group, though Watkins will be assigned to the practice squad.

This isn't going to happen either, but if it were to, then Stepanovich should be the primary backup.

Blackstock and Brown. Blackstock still can rush the passer on obvious passing downs and Mark Brown is an upgrade at MLB over Lance Mitchell, as well as a better special teams player. Brandon Johnson will make the practice squad and wouldn't be able to cover NFL tight ends this season anyway.

I like Carter, though two of these guys should find themseleves on the practice squad.

I dunno... Brewer. :shrug:

Player. Without a doubt.

Mark Brown. This team is thin at linebacker.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Mitch said:

1. #3 QB: John Navarre, Rohan Davey or new signee? Davey

2. #10 OL: Jeremy Bridges or Fred Wakefield? Bridges

3. Let's say that the team has decided to double John Bronson as a FB and #3 TE...therefore you must decide...#2 TE: Eric Edwards or Adam Bergen? Bergen

4. Let's say that the team has decided to keep a #6 WR...is it Carlyle Holiday, Michael Spurlock, Todd Watkins or Greg Lee? Spurlock

5. Let's say Reggie Wells is switched over to center...the #2 C: Alex Stepanovich or Nick Leckey? Step

6. Let's say the team is sure of the following LBers: Dansby, Darling, Huff, Hayes, Pace...and only intends to keep 2 more...#6, #7 LBers: Darryl Blackstock, Lance Mitchell, Brandon Johnson, Mark Brown? Blackstock & Brown

7. Let's say the team wants to keep a #5 CB behind Rolle, Macklin, Reid and Green...#5 CB: Robert Tate, Dyshod Carter, Darrell Hunter, Jay McCariens, or Justin Wyatt? Tate, althought Hunter is intriguing...

8. Let's say the team wants to keep only 4 safeties and Wilson, Griffith and Francisco are in...#4 S: Jack Brewer or Ernest Shazor? Shazor

9. #1 P: Scott Player or Fred Capshaw? Player, Capshaw next season.

10. Let's say the team is trying to decide on the #53 player...and they have narrowed it down to three: LB Mark Brown, SS Ernest Shazor or CB Darrell Hunter...who would it be? Brown

Here are my answers (subject to change after tomorrow's game!):

1. New #3 QB...preferrably a veteran or a young player with a little experience, like Shane Boyd.

2. Jeremy Bridges...he's more versatile.

3. Adam Bergen...better upside in the passing game.

4. Michael Spurlock...would add the most value on STs.

5. Nick Leckey...more reliable and more sound fundamentally.

6. Daryl Blackstock and Brandon Johnson...Blackstock is improving on STs and needs time to develop as an OLB, but there's too much talent to pass up here and Johnson is a unique athlete who will be a real asset covering the likes of TE Vernon Davis and Jeremy Stevens...gut feeling: Lance Mitchell will be placed on the IR this year...if he is waived, he's PS eligible, so that mitigates the decision.

7. Robert Tate...he's a savvy veteran who plays hard...and quite well at times...although if Carter turns some head again this week...???

8. Jack Brewer...may well be the best STs player on the roster and we all know how lousy the STs cover teams were last year.

9. Fred Capshaw...the guy's leg is too strong to pass up and we can lock him up at a reasonable salary for 3-4 years. Plus, Scott Player has trade value...I guarantee it.

10. LB Mark Brown...can help us in so many ways...on STs...on goalline defense...Shazor and Hunter are PS eligible.

See my responses above in red...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05