2007 Cardinals: Head Coach Speak

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Whomever the new Cardinals' Head Coach turns out to be, I hope the rhetoric we hear in his introductory press conference is along these lines:

1. No playoffs promises...no predictions...just a vow to do everything possible to promote excellence.

2. A cogent explanation of what the plan is for the offense, defense and special teams.

3. A promise to all current and future players to give them every opportunity to compete for significant playing time...in other words, starting jobs will be earned on the field in practice and games.

4. An insight into the coach's philosophy of how to add to the current personnel via the draft and free agency.

The candidate that I would most like to hear these answers from is Norm Chow...for the following reasons:

1. Chow brings an intelligence to the position that we have not seen in a long time.

IMO, the difference between winning and losing in the NFL is in how well the coaches prepare the players...and often times, if the players feel they have been given a strategical edge in preparation, they will do everything they can to execute the game plan. Case in point...how Bill Belichick screwed up the Jets' defense by going into a quick formation whenever the Jets tried to substitute. This tactic clearly frustrated the Jets and their coaches and forced the Jets to have to defend the Patriots with their run defense....which is why Brady threw a plethora of timing passes to a host of receivers....because Brady knew exactly what was readily exploitable in the Jets' defense.

2. Chow has integrity. He's humble and epitomizes the mantra of "keep your feet on the ground and your eyes on the stars."

3. Chow doesn't seem to jump to conclusions or put premature expectations on players. Did you notice how Chow said that Matt Leinart could be an outstanding QB? He didn't use present tense...which shows me that Chow realizes the work Leinart has to put in to be an outstanding NFL quarterback. And it shows how Chow isn't living in the past...where once (at USC) he could say Leinart is an outstanding QB. This may seem trivial to some...but...some coaches come in and immediately start tagging players as Pro Bowlers, and, IMO, the psychology of such rhetoric is all too often counter-productive. See Leonard Davis, for example.

4. Chow brings a special knowledge to the position...he can call the plays and has excelled at that everywhere he's worked. My gripe with the past Cardinal head coaches was that most of them weren't even prolific coordinators, let alone coaches who brought a special knowledge with them.

I think that Chow is the closest coach to Don Coryell that the Cardinals could find. Coryell, lisp and all, wasn't the kind of coach who inspired players to run through brick walls...he was a coach who out-thought, out-prepared and out-worked his opponents...and his players loved him for giving them the edge they needed to win ballgames.

If you look at the most successful coaches in the NFL today...they are the ones who provide the winning edge through schemes and preparation. Charisma or football macho is only effective if it is accompanied by great attention to detail and game planning.

This is why I believe Norm Chow is the right man for the job. I think he's the kind of coach who the players would love because he would engage them through intelligent decision making and game planning.

I would just add two more things: (1) Chow strikes me as a coach who can think fast on his feet, which enables him to make in-game adjustments with alacrity; (2) Of all the candidates we've heard from, he genuinely seems the most excited about the opportunity, and to me that means a great deal. I honestly believe there is no other gig he would rather have.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Thanks!

Your insights are valued. I agree than Norm Chow brings the experience, intellect, and ability to take the Cardinal offense to new heights.

The key will be having inspirational team leaders in the mold of the Ravens' Ray Lewis, who will take ownership and demand that the rest of the team to be the best they can be. If Chow and his assistants can get certain players to take that kind of leadership role, the sky is the limit for this team IMO. As you know, Lewis has defensive players over to his house weekly for film sessions and to shoot the breeze about the week's opponent. This is in addition to what the coaches do during the week. As a result, Baltimore has one of the best defenses in the league. I want guys like Berry and Wilson to take that kind of role with the defense, and guys like Anquan and Edge to do it for the offense. Don't let the opponents outwork you. There are plenty of great players with superb work ethic on the team.

I want players to hold other players accountable for dumb penalties. Play hard and hit hard, but don't get stupid false starts and personal fouls at critical times.

SightsSoundsBach13

Registered
Reaction score
Norm Chow's reputation is that he is an upper echelon offensive genius.

I have been saying on this board that you must play to the Cardinals' strength when hiring a head coach and Rivera's experience is with defense, a defense that has had trouble against many of the top talents in the NFL the last two years: Steve Smith, Roy Williams, Chad Johnson, Tom Brady, Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin, Ronnie Brown, Torry Holt. Not to say that those guys don't give a wide array of teams trouble, but any mystique that the Bears defense builds when it plays its easy schedule is quickly removed when a true playmaker goes up against it. Injuries happen but the Bears defense has not been able to stop anyone, let alone elite talent, the last five games.

I don't put too much stock in what they say in the press conferences. I want them to come across as intelligent and I think Whisenhunt seemed the smartest to me in the limited time of the press conference.

I definitely do put stock on reputation and, if Cam Cameron has the reputation of a total jerk and Mike Sherman as a guy who doesn't have any command on his players or the vast amount of turnovers they're committing, then my choices would still be Whisenhunt, then Chow, then Martz.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent post! I would love to have Chow as a head coach.

It's about time we get a coach in here that can figure out you need to use a hurry up offense when you are down by two TDs with less than 6 minutes left.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Whomever the new Cardinals' Head Coach turns out to be, I hope the rhetoric we hear in his introductory press conference is along these lines:

1. No playoffs promises...no predictions...just a vow to do everything possible to promote excellence.

2. A cogent explanation of what the plan is for the offense, defense and special teams.

3. A promise to all current and future players to give them every opportunity to compete for significant playing time...in other words, starting jobs will be earned on the field in practice and games.

4. An insight into the coach's philosophy of how to add to the current personnel via the draft and free agency.

The candidate that I would most like to hear these answers from is Norm Chow...for the following reasons:

1. Chow brings an intelligence to the position that we have not seen in a long time.

IMO, the difference between winning and losing in the NFL is in how well the coaches prepare the players...and often times, if the players feel they have been given a strategical edge in preparation, they will do everything they can to execute the game plan. Case in point...how Bill Belichick screwed up the Jets' defense by going into a quick formation whenever the Jets tried to substitute. This tactic clearly frustrated the Jets and their coaches and forced the Jets to have to defend the Patriots with their run defense....which is why Brady threw a plethora of timing passes to a host of receivers....because Brady knew exactly what was readily exploitable in the Jets' defense.

2. Chow has integrity. He's humble and epitomizes the mantra of "keep your feet on the ground and your eyes on the stars."

3. Chow doesn't seem to jump to conclusions or put premature expectations on players. Did you notice how Chow said that Matt Leinart could be an outstanding QB? He didn't use present tense...which shows me that Chow realizes the work Leinart has to put in to be an outstanding NFL quarterback. And it shows how Chow isn't living in the past...where once (at USC) he could say Leinart is an outstanding QB. This may seem trivial to some...but...some coaches come in and immediately start tagging players as Pro Bowlers, and, IMO, the psychology of such rhetoric is all too often counter-productive. See Leonard Davis, for example.

4. Chow brings a special knowledge to the position...he can call the plays and has excelled at that everywhere he's worked. My gripe with the past Cardinal head coaches was that most of them weren't even prolific coordinators, let alone coaches who brought a special knowledge with them.

I think that Chow is the closest coach to Don Coryell that the Cardinals could find. Coryell, lisp and all, wasn't the kind of coach who inspired players to run through brick walls...he was a coach who out-thought, out-prepared and out-worked his opponents...and his players loved him for giving them the edge they needed to win ballgames.

If you look at the most successful coaches in the NFL today...they are the ones who provide the winning edge through schemes and preparation. Charisma or football macho is only effective if it is accompanied by great attention to detail and game planning.

This is why I believe Norm Chow is the right man for the job. I think he's the kind of coach who the players would love because he would engage them through intelligent decision making and game planning.

I would just add two more things: (1) Chow strikes me as a coach who can think fast on his feet, which enables him to make in-game adjustments with alacrity; (2) Of all the candidates we've heard from, he genuinely seems the most excited about the opportunity, and to me that means a great deal. I honestly believe there is no other gig he would rather have.

Mitch - :thumbup:

I always look forward to your posts and this is the best one yet. I could not agree more with everything you said. Don't muck this up Cardinals....

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
that may be because there is no other gig out there for him. I think people are way overrating his offensive "genius". He's last on my list of candidates which means he'll probably be named shortly:D . I also think he's getting too much credit for the QB's he been associated with. I think those players were going to be successful no matter who was coaching them. Having a butt load of talent sure makes a coach look better.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely do put stock on reputation and, if Cam Cameron has the reputation of a total jerk and Mike Sherman as a guy who doesn't have any command on his players or the vast amount of turnovers they're committing, then my choices would still be Whisenhunt, then Chow, then Martz.

I would say in Sherman's defense, who did have enough control of Favre to get him to stop throwing INT's there? Favre basically decided he was pissed they let key starters go as FA's, so he chucked the ball all around the field with no regard, short of benching Favre, what choice did Sherman have?

And in all seriousness, could ANYBODY get away with benching Favre in Green Bay?

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
that may be because there is no other gig out there for him. I think people are way overrating his offensive "genius". He's last on my list of candidates which means he'll probably be named shortly:D . I also think he's getting too much credit for the QB's he been associated with. I think those players were going to be successful no matter who was coaching them. Having a butt load of talent sure makes a coach look better.

Exhibit A: Carson Palmer before Norm Chow, talented but poor decision maker, thus equaling a mediocre QB.

Carson palmer after Norm Chow, Heisman trophy winning, howitzer-armed, #1 pick, pro-bowl superman.

(ETA I guess Norm shouldn't get all the credit for Carson's pro career, but he laid the foundation that Marvin, Kitna, etc., helped cultivate).

He helps people realize their talent. He uses player's talent in the best possible way. That's his genius--he uses things that are already present and maximizes them, rather than try to impose his own system on things that don't exist. He is the ultimate pragmatist, not an ideologue.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When Chow was at BYU they actually named a recruiting "effect" after them they called it the "BYU QB effect". In a nutshell it was every QB that signs with BYU, instantly moves up on the recruiting rankings list because everyone asssumes if BYU signs him, he must be good. For the most part none of those guys, Nielson, Wilson, McMahon, Detmer, even Steve Young, none of them were heavily recruited nationally. Part might be the Mormon angle, but
Chow took guys like that and made them great players. Notice, only Young had any success at all in the NFL, Chow got the most out of them.

At USC Chow inherited Palmer, the most heralded QB in the West out of HS, who'd been a huge disappointment at USC, and he makes the kid the first pick in the NFL draft in basically one year. Then he gets Leinart who was the least recruited of the 3 behind Matt Cassell and freshman John David Booty, but Leinart won the job in camp and won 2 national titles and a Heisman.

So yes all of those guys had talent but Chow had a lot to do with bringing it out of them.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Exhibit A: Carson Palmer before Norm Chow, talented but poor decision maker, thus equaling a mediocre QB.

Carson palmer after Norm Chow, Heisman trophy winning, howitzer-armed, #1 pick, pro-bowl superman.

(ETA I guess Norm shouldn't get all the credit for Carson's pro career, but he laid the foundation that Marvin, Kitna, etc., helped cultivate).

He helps people realize their talent. He uses player's talent in the best possible way. That's his genius--he uses things that are already present and maximizes them, rather than try to impose his own system on things that don't exist. He is the ultimate pragmatist, not an ideologue.

I knew Palmer was going to be brought up.I'm sure Chow did help Palmer but Palmer maturing and coming into his own probably also factored into it alot. And, it's not like he took John Navarre and made him a Heisman winner. Palmer is extremely talented. I don't get how people say Chow gets credit for Vince Young. He was one of the worst passers in the league. I just think he's the worst choice out there.I could easily be wrong. I know i'll give him a chance if he gets hired and not come on here weekly saying how horrible he is from day 1 like with what happened with Green because people didn't like the choice.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We wont get Chow.....

We all want him too much. Our world will come crashing down soon when we hire someone else.

Please let me be wrong.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
I knew Palmer was going to be brought up.I'm sure Chow did help Palmer but Palmer maturing and coming into his own probably also factored into it alot. And, it's not like he took John Navarre and made him a Heisman winner. Palmer is extremely talented. I don't get how people say Chow gets credit for Vince Young. He was one of the worst passers in the league. I just think he's the worst choice out there.I could easily be wrong. I know i'll give him a chance if he gets hired and not come on here weekly saying how horrible he is from day 1 like with what happened with Green because people didn't like the choice.

That's the point though. He finds ways to use the talent that's there, where other people might not. Palmer has a super arm--Chow designs an offense to utilize it. VY can't pass very well, so he devises a way for him to use his legs and mobility.

The Cards' biggest weakness is having all this talent and never taking full advantage of it. Chow could, I believe. And his studious mind could gameplan for opponents, dissect what they will do, and how to beat it. I have no doubt his in-game adjustments would be superb. I think he's earned a shot.

No one else wants him? If we take him I'm sure he'll show the rest of the league how wrong they were.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
That's the point though. He finds ways to use the talent that's there, where other people might not. Palmer has a super arm--Chow designs an offense to utilize it. VY can't pass very well, so he devises a way for him to use his legs and mobility.

The Cards' biggest weakness is having all this talent and never taking full advantage of it. Chow could, I believe. And his studious mind could gameplan for opponents, dissect what they will do, and how to beat it. I have no doubt his in-game adjustments would be superb. I think he's earned a shot.

No one else wants him? If we take him I'm sure he'll show the rest of the league how wrong they were.

Just like showing the rest of the NFL how wrong they were to let Matt Leinart slide to #10!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing but great posts here, ive been on the chow line since his presser

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Having a butt load of talent sure makes a coach look better.

That same can be said of Rivera, Whisenhunt, Grimm, Cameron etc etc...

I am most skeptical of Rivera because of who he coached under Johnson in Philly and Lovie Smith in Chicago--both considered some of the best defensive coaches in the leagues, how much of it was their input as opposed to his. Chow worked under 2 defensive coaches at his last stops USC(Carroll) and Titans (Fisher) thus I believe he had way more input in the offense than Rivera did with the defense.

If people question Chow not having HC experience Rivera has the same issue, Chow also has been coaching a lot longer than Rivera.

Rivera may make a good head coach--but when I weigh the 2 against each other I don't see how anyone can have Rivera come out ahead of him.

I like Cameron for the same reason I like Chow--Shottenheimer is a former DC, the Chargers offense isn't a direct reflection of the HC coaching but rather the OC who has a lot more control.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
That same can be said of Rivera, Whisenhunt, Grimm, Cameron etc etc...

I am most skeptical of Rivera because of who he coached under Johnson in Philly and Lovie Smith in Chicago--both considered some of the best defensive coaches in the leagues, how much of it was their input as opposed to his. Chow worked under 2 defensive coaches at his last stops USC(Carroll) and Titans (Fisher) thus I believe he had way more input in the offense than Rivera did with the defense.

If people question Chow not having HC experience Rivera has the same issue, Chow also has been coaching a lot longer than Rivera.

Rivera may make a good head coach--but when I weigh the 2 against each other I don't see how anyone can have Rivera come out ahead of him.

I like Cameron for the same reason I like Chow--Shottenheimer is a former DC, the Chargers offense isn't a direct reflection of the HC coaching but rather the OC who has a lot more control.

You can get into real trouble with this type of thought process though. There have been plenty of good coordinators that have been given head coaching opportunities and have failed MISERABLY (Martz is a good example).

Just because they are good as a coordinator does not mean they'll be a good head coach. Thats why you have to really pick their brain and see what philosophies they have for the entire team.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
There have been plenty of good coordinators that have been given head coaching opportunities and have failed MISERABLY (Martz is a good example).

The Martz example goes to proving my point Martz was guiding the offense but Vermeil came from the offensive side of coaching thus he had a lot of input on the offense and that was proven when he left.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
The Martz example goes to proving my point Martz was guiding the offense but Vermeil came from the offensive side of coaching thus he had a lot of input on the offense and that was proven when he left.

It was one example but there are others. Heck Cameron was the head coach at Indiana and was absolutely horrible.

Norv Turner is another example. Good OC, horrid HC. There are plenty of other examples.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It was one example but there are others. Heck Cameron was the head coach at Indiana and was absolutely horrible.

Norv Turner is another example. Good OC, horrid HC. There are plenty of other examples.

I think you are missing my point...I think a coordinator that comes from a staff that the head coach has a background in the area opposite of what he is coaching has a greater chance to succeed. Since Lovie Smith is a former DC I think Rivera has a lot less input than had he been the OC. Since Fisher is a former DC I think Chow has more input since he is the OC.

I'm not saying all offensive coordinators are great, I am saying some have more input in to the systems their teams run than others and the one who have more say so are the ones we should be looking at.

Also Cameron at Indiana--seriously, who is succesful there?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I think you are missing my point...I think a coordinator that comes from a staff that the head coach has a background in the area opposite of what he is coaching has a greater chance to succeed. Since Lovie Smith is a former DC I think Rivera has a lot less input than had he been the OC. Since Fisher is a former DC I think Chow has more input since he is the OC.

I'm not saying all offensive coordinators are great, I am saying some have more input in to the systems their teams run than others and the one who have more say so are the ones we should be looking at.

Also Cameron at Indiana--seriously, who is succesful there?

I understand what you're saying but I'm saying to be careful about that. Sure they have more input that doesn't mean that they're head coaching material.

Just because someone came from the same side of the ball as their boss did doesn't mean that they can't be head coaches either. For example Cowher worked under Scottenheimer, both are defensive guys and I'd take either on this team right now.

Rivera is getting recommended by Andy Reid (offensive HC), Lovie Smith (defensive HC), and Bill Belichick (defensive HC). Those kinds of endorsements are REALLY, REALLY hard to ignore

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Rivera is getting recommended by Andy Reid (offensive HC), Lovie Smith (defensive HC), and Bill Belichick (defensive HC). Those kinds of endorsements are REALLY, REALLY hard to ignore

Belichik never endorsed Rivera. He said he liked what Rivera had said about his philosophy, he never endorsed Rivera the coach...and of course 2 coaches he worked for endorsed him.

Caldwell is getting endorsed by Dungy and Tom Moore...big deal.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Belichik never endorsed Rivera. He said he liked what Rivera had said about his philosophy, he never endorsed Rivera the coach...and of course 2 coaches he worked for endorsed him.

Caldwell is getting endorsed by Dungy and Tom Moore...big deal.

If you endorse the philosophy, you endorse the coach.

It really seems that now you're just trying to sell Chow as the best candidate no matter what.

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
I think the over-analyzing is out of hand although I understand that's all we have until next season. Praising or damning someone for their speech infront of press about a job they don't have is just too much for me. What is worse someone who makes playoff predictions and doesn't come through or someone who just vows to do everything possible to promote excellence and doesn't come through either? This makes no difference.

Our next coach could come out and say we are going to win the Super Bowl next year for all I care as long as we are .500 and competing for the playoffs when it's all over with.

Just win. How about we get a coach that let's his coaching do the talking?

There are some good names out there and I will be excited no matter who they pick. I personally won't care how he talks infront of the press as long as we win next year.

Go Cardinals!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

It really seems that now you're just trying to sell Chow as the best candidate no matter what.

No I am trying to sell Rivera as the worst candidate no matter what. I could live with Chow, Grimm, Cameron or Sherman. I don't like Rivera one bit.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Anyone can talk the talk, a philosophy is one thing having the means, intelligence and leadership to enact it is another thing entirely.

Belichik liked what he said but didn't say "Rivera is going to be a good head coach someday" or "hes a great DC" or anything close to that.