2011 Draft: Von Miller, LBer

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

They don't look remotely similar. Clay's lower body is thick around as a tree trunk. Miller looks like he's running on tooth picks by comparison. The upper body is closer but Clay looks both bigger and more defined, admittedly the pictures aren't very good for comparing that.

You are looking at a current picture of Clay Matthews...2 years removed from the Combine where he was 6 ft 3 inches 240 lbs.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is that LeVar Fisher? :D

For comparison:

Attachments

• dc67bc8e-d038-11de-b76f-001cc4c03286.image.jpg
    dc67bc8e-d038-11de-b76f-001cc4c03286.image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 180
  • PlayToWinMain.jpg
    PlayToWinMain.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 194

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
If we want an all-around LB that will be able to do everything ( passrusher, tackle sideline to sideline, drop back in coverage ) than Von Miller is the easy choice. If we want a stronger type of passrushing LB then go with Robert Quinn. The only thing with Quinn is he may never be any good in coverage. If we use him to purely attack the QB and LOS then he is the guy.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You are looking at a current picture of Clay Matthews...2 years removed from the Combine where he was 6 ft 3 inches 240 lbs.

Thank you. In 2 years with John Lott he WILL definitely be the same size as Clay Matthews. If we stay at #5 he needs to be the pick, if we trade down then I am on the Justin Houston bandwagon unless Miller is there where ever we drop down to.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If we want an all-around LB that will be able to do everything ( passrusher, tackle sideline to sideline, drop back in coverage ) than Von Miller is the easy choice.

I wouldnt say being a liabilty in the run game makes him being able to do everything. Thats a HUGE hole in Millers game & maybe bigger than Miller himself. Lol

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I wouldnt say being a liabilty in the run game makes him being able to do everything. Thats a HUGE hole in Millers game & maybe bigger than Miller himself. Lol

I don't see him as being a liability in the run game. He can tackle well and has the speed to get to runners faster than most. The only weakness that I see in Miller is his bullrush against offensive linemen. He is not big and strong enough to take them head on and win. He runs by them easy enough. What I just said about Miller you can say about every linebacker we have right now when it comes to stopping the run or bullrushing. IMO I think playing the run will be a strength for Miller and not a weakness. Our 3-4 defense is all about the d-line controlling the LOS and letting the linebackers flow to the ball freely.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

isnt the "liability" in the run game a projection based on the fact that he is 7-10 lbs below some "ideal" weight?

Buckybird

Reaction score
Our 3-4 defense is all about the d-line controlling the LOS and letting the linebackers flow to the ball freely.

While IMO you're partially right, the 3-4 OLB's have to be able to hold & set the edge. You don't see the Ravens get gashed consistantly with Suggs or Johnson. Same with the Steelers and Woodley & Harrsion. They all thick & built to withstand the big nasties in the run game. Adding Miller to this D is a recipe for disaster in the run game IMO.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
While IMO you're partially right, the 3-4 OLB's have to be able to hold & set the edge. You don't see the Ravens get gashed consistantly with Suggs or Johnson. Same with the Steelers and Woodley & Harrsion. They all thick & built to withstand the big nasties in the run game. Adding Miller to this D is a recipe for disaster in the run game IMO.

I think it depends on how our coaches want to use him. If they want a linebacker that has the athletic ability to cover then I think Miller is the guy. If our coaches want a stronger and bigger linebacker that can hold and set the edge as you say then they should draft Robert Quinn. I would be happy with either of those choices.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I think it depends on how our coaches want to use him. If they want a linebacker that has the athletic ability to cover then I think Miller is the guy. If our coaches want a stronger and bigger linebacker that can hold and set the edge as you say then they should draft Robert Quinn. I would be happy with either of those choices.

well if you look at all the successful 3-4 teams you see they can contain the run game & have those bigger OLB's. Look at the build of those 3-4 OLB sackmen & tell me Miller fits the eyeball test?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
well if you look at all the successful 3-4 teams you see they can contain the run game & have those bigger OLB's. Look at the build of those 3-4 OLB sackmen & tell me Miller fits the eyeball test?

Your right that he does not fit the eyeball test. I do think that in a couple of years he will fill out more and play closer to 250 than 240 Not every player will pass the eyeball test, but some still manage to play their position very well. Look at Zach Thomas or Sam Mills. I think Miller will be an outstanding passrusher no matter what team he goes to. I see him getting double digit sacks every year for years. One of our biggest needs is passrushers. Like I said I would be happy with either Miller or Quinn.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Miller will add bulk to at least be adequate in run support.

I just can't justify drafting AJ Green. Elite teams aren't built with elite WRs. One thing this team has never had trouble with, is finding production at that position. Even if we were trading Fitz, I still wouldn't blow a top 5 pick on a player that at most will be involved with 10 plays a game. BPA is a load of crap. What if the best player in the draft is a kicker or fullback? Should teams take him #1? No, it's not about raw talent, it's about the level of impact you make on a game.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Here's Claymaker at the combine. His thighs are huge in comparison to Miller.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Nothing regarding Miller is fixed in time. He's a kid who's brain isn't yet fully matured, let alone his body. The first comes in time, and for an athlete with time in the weight room. Miller off one edge, Schofield off the other, and Washington up the middle is something that I'd look forward to.

Reaction score
If you guys get your hands on Miller or Quinn that would be a good move. Both these guys will be studs in a 3-4.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, McShay said that Miller was one of his top choices for the most certain "sure thing" in this draft. That's not to say he'd be his #1 pick, but that he'd be least likely to bust.

OP
OP
SuperSpck

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Updated first post w/ combine numbers.
10 lbs heavier than expected, but an inch shorter than reported.
Looked very nice in iso.

If he makes it to 5 I'd be pleased.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
For what it's worth, McShay said that Miller was one of his top choices for the most certain "sure thing" in this draft. That's not to say he'd be his #1 pick, but that he'd be least likely to bust.

An important consideration for a guy you're paying top 5 money. Can't miss on top 5 picks.

OP
OP
SuperSpck

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bump for end-of year check in.

Drafted 2nd overall by stupid Broncos.

Through 13 weeks (12 played), 700 snaps he's racked up 11 sacks, 18 hits, 26 pressures.

No good Bronco highlight reel yet, but Sports Science is a fun consolation.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think Von Miller is doing everthing that I thought he would do. Great passrusher. He was the guy I really wanted for our defense. There wont be another like him in next years draft. I think he will be the defensive rookie of the year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He makes plays and gets sacks which allows you to live with his struggles vs the run. Dynamic player in today's NFL.