2012/13 Greatest impact: Newcomers

Which of the newcomers will have the biggest impact on the team this coming season?

• Wesley Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kendall Marshall

• PJ Tucker

• other (player acquired later this season)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. I voted for Scola. I was really tempted to vote for Dragic, but how much of an impact can he make compared to last year if he is replacing Nash? He becomes more of a pimple than a crater.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
OK. I voted for Scola. I was really tempted to vote for Dragic, but how much of an impact can he make compared to last year if he is replacing Nash? He becomes more of a pimple than a crater.
This thread is about comparing the newcomers.

Please don't compare Goran Dragic to Steve Nash. No good will come of it. Let the memories of Steve in his prime rest in peace.

Sonec

Rookie
Reaction score
Dragic struggled mightily for the Suns the season he was traded to Houston for Brooks. Why is it unrealistic to worry about the same thing happening again? Hopefully Dragic has turned the corner but to express concern that he might struggle again is only being realistic. Looking at his career stats does not provide comfort and I like Dragic. These are not the stats of a star player. See link below.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/goran_dragic/career_stats.html

simple answer, he was not a starter back than. And even if got a game or two, it's still not the same.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
simple answer, he was not a starter back than. And even if got a game or two, it's still not the same.
And, as we've said, even if Dragic got sporadic starts, he was a substitute in Nash's unique system. It is a whole new ball game!

Alvin Gentry certainly knows that better than anyone, right from the start of training camp.

Sonec

Rookie
Reaction score
Because they are both Slovenian...

Thats some standard for "evaluating" talent.

yeah for sure, just because he's Slovenian, I was saying Kopitar is one of the best players in the league in his rookie season and that Goran is one of the if not the fastest player on the earth? Just saying. It's not it man, in small part yes, that's normal. Who's your boy pharazit, LeBron, Kobe or Nash or maybe DH?

Sonec

Rookie
Reaction score
And, as we've said, even if Dragic got sporadic starts, he was a substitute in Nash's unique system. It is a whole new ball game!

Alvin Gentry certainly knows that better than anyone, right from the start of training camp.

look, watched every single game in Houston(when he started, ok minus the first one) he didn't have a bad game, so again no reason to think he won't do it here as well....

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah for sure, just because he's Slovenian, I was saying Kopitar is one of the best players in the league in his rookie season and that Goran is one of the if not the fastest player on the earth? Just saying. It's not it man, in small part yes, that's normal. Who's your boy pharazit, LeBron, Kobe or Nash or maybe DH?

I like teams, not individual players, and I dont bandwagon onto guys for no other reason than they are from some country... like Slovenia.

I like Goran, I really really hope he does well, but to claim he is I one of the fastest players on earth is just... absurd.

Last edited:

Sonec

Rookie
Reaction score
I like teams, not individual players, and I dont bandwagon onto guys for no other reason than they are from some country... like Slovenia.

I like Goran, I really really hope he does well, but to claim he is I one of the fastest players on earth is just... absurd.

so far I haven't seen one being faster than him, I know it's bold to call that, but I stand by my words...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
so far I haven't seen one being faster than him, I know it's bold to call that, but I stand by my words...

John Wall, Leandro Barbosa, Russell Westbrook, Aaron Brooks, Derrick Rose, Monta Ellis, Chris Paul, Devin Harris, to name just a few.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
... I wouldnt even call him a fast point guard in the first place. He is shifty and he has good handles but he isnt a guy who blows by people or is a terror in the open court.
John Wall, Leandro Barbosa, Russell Westbrook, Aaron Brooks, Derrick Rose, Monta Ellis, Chris Paul, Devin Harris, to name just a few.
I honestly think you could add half the PGs in the league to that list. Dragic has a lot of skills, but blinding speed is not something that remotely comes to mind.

Yes, Barbosa is... absurdly faster than Dragic. They dont call him "the blur" because he had bad eyesight. But as always you come to the plate with a well thought out counter.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Grabbed from another board:

Lester Hudson update: Opposing team executive saw my tweet earlier and says he's heard Warriors interested. Also, speculated they may have interest in Leandro Barbosa. Suns could be interested in both too, exec added. - Sam Amico

Didn't think we were still looking.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well Barbosa would make a hell of a lot more sense than JerMaimed O'Feeble, I'll say that much.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well Barbosa would make a hell of a lot more sense than JerMaimed O'Feeble, I'll say that much.
I'm quite surprised how you could compare a tweener Guard to an oft-injured-but-possibly-rejuvenated backup Center for a roster spot. That's not apples-to-oranges, that's grapes-to-grapefruit. :)

Sonec

Rookie
Reaction score

LOL, funny selection, except for Wall, I'm 100% he's faster than those up here. Try harder...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm quite surprised how you could compare a tweener Guard to an oft-injured-but-possibly-rejuvenated backup Center for a roster spot. That's not apples-to-oranges, that's grapes-to-grapefruit. :)

I wouldnt hold my breath on Jermaine O'Neal being rejuvenated.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wouldnt hold my breath on Jermaine O'Neal being rejuvenated.
OK, I won't hold my breath. :)

But I don't think that Barbosa would have made "a hell of a lot more sense" on the roster than a veteran backup Center. That final roster spot had to be filled with a big man over still another Wing (and an undersized one at that).

The Suns have already gone through their period of too many Wings.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'd say that Dragic is in the top half of PG's when it comes to foot speed - and that video did nothing but confirm it. Nowhere near as fast as Barbosa was in his heyday.

Breaking Bad

Reaction score
I think it will be Michael Beasley, but not in a positive way. The reason why is that he's a ball stopper, has a bad turnover rate, and is not efficient. I'm not trying to be negative, but so far in the league he hasn't really improved any of his basketball skills.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think it will be Michael Beasley, but not in a positive way.
As poor-to-mediocre as the Suns won-lost record will be this season, we'll be one of those teams that play to have a couple of players on the expanded list of league leaders. Expanded = top 20.

Sonec

Rookie
Reaction score
... I wouldnt even call him a fast point guard in the first place. He is shifty and he has good handles but he isnt a guy who blows by people or is a terror in the open court.

I honestly think you could add half the PGs in the league to that list. Dragic has a lot of skills, but blinding speed is not something that remotely comes to mind.

Yes, Barbosa is... absurdly faster than Dragic. They dont call him "the blur" because he had bad eyesight. But as always you come to the plate with a well thought out counter.

Do you even watch basketball? Go watch some, you'll see.:) Except for Wall(because I haven't seen his play in a game so far), I'm sure they are all slower with the ball in hand. Have any proves(videos) that they're faster. I don't think so.. I remember Goran scoring 10 points in one minute, there's a video on YT about this as well I believe.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake