2012 MLB Draft

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its' that time of year again and the draft should bring some excitement to fans despite how poorly ARZ is playing right now.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...31&content_id=32558204&vkey=news_ari&c_id=ari

Obvious needs are middle infielders and catchers in the system.ARZ is picking at #26, #90 & #120 but new rules limiting the bonus money and stiff punishment for going over the pool along with another rule that takes away conpensation pick if a 1st rounder does not sign really limits ARZ's options.

List of names that should be at #26:

2B Joey DeMichelle - ASU
SS Kenny Diekroeger - Stanford
INF / OF Stephen Piscotti - Stanford
C - Josh Elander - TCU
C - Tom Murphy - Buffalo

I think ARZ goes heavy on college guys as their pool money ranks #28 in ML, so they need guys who will sign so HS become very risky.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
None of those guys are worth taking at 26. The D-Backs have been said to be looking at high upside guys, most likely high schoolers.

For me the guys I would want to see taken at 26 are Hunter Virant a left handed pitcher in high school who has a build similar to Tyler Skaggs. In fact his scouting report reads almost identical to Skaggs. Big curve and a fastball at the high 80s to low 90s that will add velocity once he puts on weight.

Victor Roache, an outfielder from Georgia Southern. If he didn't get hurt early this year he would probably be top 15 if not top 10. Huge power. Will probably slot in as a corner outfielder.

Tyler Naquin is an outfielder from Texas A&M. He should be able to play center in the bigs and has a great arm. He has gap power and would make a great lead off guy. He is the safest but lowest ceiling guy I have listed.

Zach Elfin, a right hander in high school. He is a big guy who already hits the upper 90s with an outstanding changeup. Lots of projectablitily.

As a quick reminder about the MLB draft, never, and I repeat NEVER, draft for need. Players are usually 2 to 3 years away at the earliest and your needs will always change. Always go after the best talent on the board.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
None of those guys are worth taking at 26. The D-Backs have been said to be looking at high upside guys, most likely high schoolers.

For me the guys I would want to see taken at 26 are Hunter Virant a left handed pitcher in high school who has a build similar to Tyler Skaggs. In fact his scouting report reads almost identical to Skaggs. Big curve and a fastball at the high 80s to low 90s that will add velocity once he puts on weight.

Victor Roache, an outfielder from Georgia Southern. If he didn't get hurt early this year he would probably be top 15 if not top 10. Huge power. Will probably slot in as a corner outfielder.

Tyler Naquin is an outfielder from Texas A&M. He should be able to play center in the bigs and has a great arm. He has gap power and would make a great lead off guy. He is the safest but lowest ceiling guy I have listed.

Zach Elfin, a right hander in high school. He is a big guy who already hits the upper 90s with an outstanding changeup. Lots of projectablitily.

As a quick reminder about the MLB draft, never, and I repeat NEVER, draft for need. Players are usually 2 to 3 years away at the earliest and your needs will always change. Always go after the best talent on the board.

Well if you read or have listened to what the D'backs plans are, they seem determined to load up on bats in this draft after going heavy on arms the last 2 years. Also, HS players may not be wise this year as ARZ is really limited on draft pool money and if they can't sign their first rounder they will not get a compensation pick next year.

I've read that Piscotti will draw interest from many teams (COL & BOS in particular) and is among the Top 45 players in the draft. Diekroeger has really slumped in terms of development from his FR to JR years but is a really talented player and if he is there at #90 ARZ should consider him. The C's I mentioned would be options at #120, didn't mean to imply ARZ should take them at #26

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Well if you read or have listened to what the D'backs plans are, they seem determined to load up on bats in this draft after going heavy on arms the last 2 years. Also, HS players may not be wise this year as ARZ is really limited on draft pool money and if they can't sign their first rounder they will not get a compensation pick next year.

I've read that Piscotti will draw interest from many teams (COL & BOS in particular) and is among the Top 45 players in the draft. Diekroeger has really slumped in terms of development from his FR to JR years but is a really talented player and if he is there at #90 ARZ should consider him. The C's I mentioned would be options at #120, didn't mean to imply ARZ should take them at #26

It is the exact same as it has been years past. They don't sign a guy, they get the 27th pick next year.

Piscotty has been ruined by Stanford. They screw up every hitter by forcing them to use their swing mechanics and it takes too long to change the players back.

Also I don't know where you've read they are looking at college guys over high school, especially since Nick Piecoro (by far the best beat reporter out there) came out yesterday with a list of guys and every single one of them was high school. You could easily take a high school guy at 26 and then get some senior college guys with your later picks to save some money.

As I've said earlier, don't draft for need. If the best player is a pitcher, take him. The most valuable commodity in baseball is a cost controlled pitcher. The more you have the more you can get in a trade.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I also think you are over-thinking the whole budget part of this. Last year's 26th pick was Blake Swihart who went to Boston. He was about as hard a sign as anyone in that draft and he eventually signed for $2.5 mil. The D-Backs have a slot of $1.7 mil this year and none of the guys I listed are considered that hard of a sign. The high school guys may end up signing for $1.6-$2 but not Swihart's level.

They will have plenty of wiggle room when it comes to signing guys, especially if the owners are willing to pay the tax for going over. As long as you don't go over 5% then you won't lose a pick, only have to pay a 75% tax on the overage.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is the exact same as it has been years past. They don't sign a guy, they get the 27th pick next year.

Piscotty has been ruined by Stanford. They screw up every hitter by forcing them to use their swing mechanics and it takes too long to change the players back.

Also I don't know where you've read they are looking at college guys over high school, especially since Nick Piecoro (by far the best beat reporter out there) came out yesterday with a list of guys and every single one of them was high school. You could easily take a high school guy at 26 and then get some senior college guys with your later picks to save some money.

As I've said earlier, don't draft for need. If the best player is a pitcher, take him. The most valuable commodity in baseball is a cost controlled pitcher. The more you have the more you can get in a trade.

I was mistaken on the compensation pick. MLB considered taking away the 1st round pick compensation for FA's. However I never said ARZ is targeting college hitters, I said hitters and said college players would be easier to sign over HS players.

If there is a great pitcher available at #26 then fine but ARZ really needs to get some hitters in their farm system, especially since Drew maybe leaving in FA and Bobby Borchering & Matt Davidson drafted as highly touted 3B have been moved to different positions.

Piscotti can flat out hit and he has the tools to stay at 3B. Looking at him take BP and facing PAC-12 pitchers he doesn't seem to be struggling, his numbers certainly don't look pedestrian.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I have a feeling he won't be catching much longer with lefty Montero inked for 5 more years.

Either he is going to move to the outfield or become a trading chip.

Coming out of High School he probably won't even sniff the majors for 4-5 years.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Coming out of High School he probably won't even sniff the majors for 4-5 years.

Depends, many others have been called up within the first year. Granted they pitchers but it isnt unheard of.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

They can take their time with this kid. With Montero inked for a while they can bring him along the system. He'll be in there three years minimum. Probably the first part of the 4th as well. He needs the work behind the plate to bec0me the total player. And he wants that from what I read.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Third rd. pick Jake Barrett - ASU - has a chance to be a closer.

I like the Poma kid who was picked in the 10th round. Real solid hitter.

Another good catching prospect as well in the 5th Rd. Ronnie Freeman.
Freeman is a good power-hitting college catcher who isn't a bad defender, either. Freeman has shown he is capable of being a middle-of-the-order bat this season at Kennesaw State by driving in runs and showing off his above-average power. He has good strike-zone discipline and has shown the ability to draw walks consistently. Defensively, he has a decent arm but doesn't have the quickness behind the plate that you want out a catcher. He should have the ability to stay behind the plate in pro ball, and this, combined with his power potential, should make him a valuable prospect in the Draft.

Picks 4-16
http://missoulaosprey.mlblogs.com/

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scouts say Trahan's defense behind the plate needs extensive work. He has the physical tools to be a good catcher, but he's projected so highly because he can also play right field. He has football size/speed.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ARZ has signed a majority of their draft picks to include Stryker Trahan and 17 of their first 20 picks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05