2017 QB

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Wasn't it GB that drafts a QB almost every year. They take a flyer in the mid to late rounds and hope they catch lightning in a bottle.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
O
Regardless, I would still take Glennon for Stanton and we have to get that young QB and if we find we drafted wrong, then you do it again next draft till you find him... this front office must act in the draft now
Oh I agree with you, Stanton is garbage and IMO, Glennon would be an upgrade, hopefully Keim likes him and overrules Arians insistence to keep Stanton.

Jason1970

Reaction score
Cards are on pace to Draft Mike Williams out of Clemson....

Trade a 5th or 6th for Strong to Houston

The little scrappy "fast" WR are not working out. I have never seen either Brown or Nelson run away from anyone. If nelson beats the Seahawk DB to the endzone they win

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Cards are on pace to Draft Mike Williams out of Clemson....

Trade a 5th or 6th for Strong to Houston

The little scrappy "fast" WR are not working out. I have never seen either Brown or Nelson run away from anyone. If nelson beats the Seahawk DB to the endzone they win

Huh, I have. The problem is that Brown has this sickle cell thing now and Nelson forgot how to catch

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2018 offers a lot of viable FAs. The Vikings need to make a decision Bradford or Bridgewater. Stafford and Carr are the 2 biggest prizes on the list and I think with better coaching Bortles can become a fairly good QB. Of course Garoppolo is intriguing based on how he played in relief of Brady. Foles and McCarron I think bring up the bottom of the list.

Brees and Kapernick are on the list but Brees will probably be thinking retirement by then and Kapernick is too controversial for this team based on the ownership and GM.

Matthew Stafford
Sam Bradford
Blake Bortles
Nick Foles
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
A.J. McCarron

Living in the Bay area I can tell you there is no way in the world Derek Carr is allowed to leave as a FA

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'd sign Glennon then draft Baker Mayfield if he comes out. Oh & cut Stantons sorry ass
You need to quiet that talk. That kind of talk can get you banned :D.

I don't like him at all. To me, he's Johnny Manziel part 2, without the off field issues though.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Living in the Bay area I can tell you there is no way in the world Derek Carr is allowed to leave as a FA

I agree with you Russ, Carr is not leaving the Raiders. I have a feeling that Bridgewater may be available but he is allowed to walk by the Vikings because he is damaged goods. Bridgewater is a risky signing.

I would go Bortles or Garoppolo since I don't think Detroit lets Stafford walk either. Of course if Bortles makes strides in 2017 under a new coach (Bradley is gone for sure) then he may not be available either which now leaves slim pickings and you don't know what NE is going to do with Garoppolo either.

Bottom line is this team needs to get off their duff and quit fooling around with trying to find vets and instead get a young QB that they can keep around for awhile.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I like Bridgewater and liked him best of that class. However, I warned he was fragile and that hasn't changed. So why pick up a QB who will likely not outlast JJ. Bortles appears damaged beyond repair. Glennon's an okay backup, but likely never more.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Bortles is very talented. How he developed that hitch in his throwing motion in mindboggling to the Jax staff. Even Bortles has said he doesn't know why/how he started doing it. Of course, Stafford, a few years ago, started throwing 3/4's sidearm for some reason and he's gotten away from that. So there's hope.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Russ, Carr is not leaving the Raiders. I have a feeling that Bridgewater may be available but he is allowed to walk by the Vikings because he is damaged goods. Bridgewater is a risky signing.

I would go Bortles or Garoppolo since I don't think Detroit lets Stafford walk either. Of course if Bortles makes strides in 2017 under a new coach (Bradley is gone for sure) then he may not be available either which now leaves slim pickings and you don't know what NE is going to do with Garoppolo either.

Bottom line is this team needs to get off their duff and quit fooling around with trying to find vets and instead get a young QB that they can keep around for awhile.

Bortles is interesting but very hard to project. He has a huge mechanical flaw in his delivery that everyone tries to fix and so far nobody has. And virtually all of his good play happens when they're way behind. People thought Jax would be much improved this year based on how he finished last year in meaningless games but this year when it mattered early, he was terrible.

He does have a strong enough arm to be good but it would have to be a bargain basement situation where you get him for a player you don't want anyways or a 4th round pick, something like that.

I do think he's gone though I think Jax will take another QB.

If you're going after a young QB I'd probably prefer Lynch with Denver but I think they'd want too much and he's not a proven commodity either.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have made up my warped GM mind. I would keep Palmer if he wants to hang around but I would go get Garoppolo and Glennon and hold off on the rookie QB till next 2018 which might provide a better crop or I just might not care because I think between the two 'G' guys we have our franchise QB because we have the best back in the NFL with Johnson

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You need to quiet that talk. That kind of talk can get you banned :D.

I don't like him at all. To me, he's Johnny Manziel part 2, without the off field issues though.
Hey Jim I have always said don't draft QBs from the Tech/Cal air raid offense because not 1 has ever done squat as an NFL QB.

But IMO Mayfield was terrible at Tech & has been incredible at OU, completing nearly 70% of his passes while making every throw in the book. He reads defenses pretty well & his arm is very strong for a smaller QB & he's a gym rat & fiery as hell. Those things IMO Meziel never possessed. I still say he's more Russell Wilson & Brees than JF.

We shall see But I've watched most of his games down here in the great state of Texas.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Hey Jim I have always said don't draft QBs from the Tech/Cal air raid offense because not 1 has ever done squat as an NFL QB.

But IMO Mayfield was terrible at Tech & has been incredible at OU, completing nearly 70% of his passes while making every throw in the book. He reads defenses pretty well & his arm is very strong for a smaller QB & he's a gym rat & fiery as hell. Those things IMO Meziel never possessed. I still say he's more Russell Wilson & Brees than JF.

We shall see But I've watched most of his games down here in the great state of Texas.
Well, it's moot now that he's returning to Oklahoma next year. I can see some Russell Wilson comps but I have never been one Wilson's bigger supporters and think he's more an exception.

I do like what Deshaun Watson brings to the table though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Just say no to Watson for me. He has some good qualities that might project well, but if he's a turnover machine at a major college, I don't think he'll do well as an NFL starter.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Well, it's moot now that he's returning to Oklahoma next year. I can see some Russell Wilson comps but I have never been one Wilson's bigger supporters and think he's more an exception.

I do like what Deshaun Watson brings to the table though.

Yeah I saw that late last night. :madarms:

I like him too in certain systems. Personally I could never see him fitting BAs system because of him being responsible for rushers in certain plays because he turns it over a lot. Same reason I don't think Prescott would've done what he's done in Dallas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05