2020 Draft position

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Let me reword that

I don’t believing in spending a top 10 pick on ILBs that aren’t great blitzers. Guys like Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, & Brian Urlacher were all picked outside the top 10 & had HOF careers. As long as they’re not pathetic, I think ILB you can get away with the most being average compared to the rest of the positions on defense.
Willis was 11th overall (just outside top 10) and Urlacher was actually picked 9th overall (where we are talking about).

I am not all that caught up on the prospects in this draft so I am not arguing that the inside guys in this draft are worthy of being picked that high, but I wouldn't pass on a worthy prospect just because he plays inside. Even the list you provided seem to suggest that you should take those guys top 10 or near there if you believe they are the best prospect available.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chase Young
Derrick Brown
Andrew Thomas
Tristan Wirfs
Jedrick Wills
CeeDee Lamb
Isaiah Simmons
Jeffrey Okudah
Jerry Jeudy

Nine names to feel fine about choosing at 9
I feel like you’re playing “one of these things is not like the other” and it’s Wills.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not sure I wouldn’t take those 15 years of Ray over any defender during that same period (minus you know, the killing people thing...).

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Damnit I was feeling good about the win/draft position until you brought that up

We really don't know how Keim's board will lineup. Could end up drafting a guy to play a position he's not suited to play or not ready for a couple years.
If you wanna know what Keims board will look like, on draft day, go to PFF & see who they have us picking in every round lol. It will be almost exact.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you wanna know what Keims board will look like, on draft day, go to PFF & see who they have us picking in every round lol. It will be almost exact.

Im actually fine with that, and if he has that plan going in and sticks to it we will end up with some good players.

His 2019 draft class is looking like it will have a couple of guys that will actually stick around to sign a second contract, which is a huge improvement. I also still have high hopes for Zach Allen as a solid starting quality D-Lineman, and Hakeem Butler as a capable WR.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Im actually fine with that, and if he has that plan going in and sticks to it we will end up with some good players.

His 2019 draft class is looking like it will have a couple of guys that will actually stick around to sign a second contract, which is a huge improvement. I also still have high hopes for Zach Allen as a solid starting quality D-Lineman, and Hakeem Butler as a capable WR.
So do I brother, both Allen & Butler, just like you.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I would like to see us drop another couple of spots and make some trades to garner more draft choices.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After #1 and #2 there are no "superstars". Just as likely to get the same player at #10 as #3.

Burrows and Young then the rest. Looks like a "draft for need" draft.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After #1 and #2 there are no "superstars". Just as likely to get the same player at #10 as #3.

Burrows and Young then the rest. Looks like a "draft for need" draft.

I'd agree - although I think Young >gap> Burroghs >>> Next 7-10

Thankfully several teams above the Cardinals need QB's, and will reach for them.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chase Young is the only superstar in this draft. Burrows could be good, but I have no idea if he will be better than Herbert or Tua (although his injury history is scary as heck).

I would think if we stay in the top 10 we should be able to get a starting O-Lineman or D-Lineman...which are our biggest needs. If the guys we like are gone, then we end up with one of the top WR's.

While I would really like to end on a 3 game winning streak, if we could get ahead of the Chargers, Jags, and Panthers, we could really increase our chances of someone trading up for the last QB of the big 3.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I would really like to end on a 3 game winning streak, if we could get ahead of the Chargers, Jags, and Panthers, we could really increase our chances of someone trading up for the last QB of the big 3.

Panthers host New Orleans NO is playing for potential #1 seed. A loss could put them in the #3 seed. Saints cruise
Chargers are at the Chiefs. KC doesn't want to fall below a 3 seed. KC rolls
Jaguars host Indy. Colts are eliminated, but still small favorites.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If we lose, best pick we can get is 6th?

If we win, worst pick we can get is 13th?

Is that correct?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Ugh that’s a long fall

yes, but worst case at 13 is the Cards are looking at players that are the third OT (i.e. Willis, Alabama) , or the third WR (Henry Ruggs, Alabama) , or the third front 7 player (AJ Epenesa, Iowa) , or second CB (Fulton, LSU)

i could make the argument that Derrick Brown is a far better prospect than AJ Epenesa, but not sure if i could that Lamb is head and shoulders better than Ruggs, or Thomas is wayyy better than Willis.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
yes, but worst case at 13 is the Cards are looking at players that are the third OT (i.e. Willis, Alabama) , or the third WR (Henry Ruggs, Alabama) , or the third front 7 player (AJ Epenesa, Iowa) , or second CB (Fulton, LSU)

i could make the argument that Derrick Brown is a far better prospect than AJ Epenesa, but not sure if i could that Lamb is head and shoulders better than Ruggs, or Thomas is wayyy better than Willis.

I agree, and while I know this happens every year, It bothers me when you are taking the "3rd, 4th, or 5th" guy at a position with your first round pick. You either have to think that everyone else got it wrong, and your guy was much higher, or you have to think that there is little to no drop off in talent....both things scare me.

I would rather take the consensus #1 or #2 guy at a less important position than the 5th guy at OLB, or OT.

If we are all the way down at #13, I would rather take the #1 ILB, or the #1 OC than I would take the #4 OT or the #4 WR

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, and while I know this happens every year, It bothers me when you are taking the "3rd, 4th, or 5th" guy at a position with your first round pick. You either have to think that everyone else got it wrong, and your guy was much higher, or you have to think that there is little to no drop off in talent....both things scare me.

I would rather take the consensus #1 or #2 guy at a less important position than the 5th guy at OLB, or OT.

If we are all the way down at #13, I would rather take the #1 ILB, or the #1 OC than I would take the #4 OT or the #4 WR

This is silly. There are years with huge talent at a certain position. This year it is Wide Receiver.

You have to grade the player by themselves, not how many are better at their position. The 4th best WR this year could easily be better than the best last year.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is silly. There are years with huge talent at a certain position. This year it is Wide Receiver.

You have to grade the player by themselves, not how many are better at their position. The 4th best WR this year could easily be better than the best last year.

I guess, but my point is by the time you are talking about the #4 or #5 person at a position, it is totally dependent on what you scouts thing, which I know it is supposed to be anyway...but I get some peace of mind knowing that a player was rated as everyone's best player at a position.

Keim tries to get too cute a lot of times. He has some small school guy rated really highly and more often than not the rest of the league and all the experts consider it a reach.

If we end up with a player that 75% of the league and the draft experts agree was the best player at their position, then I think we have a good chance of having an impact player.