2023 1st round pick is #6 Paris Johnson

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
i think that if Kyler shows out -- and lets say thats for 10 games

i think they win enough games to be lower in the draft than 5 --- and further, it probably means DJ Humphries played pretty well too
agree. But Hump turns 30 this year...and while linemen usually play pretty well to 34 or 35... if there is a solid prospect there it makes sense to snatch him up... then put Hump on the trading block after a year.
wait a year just in case the rookie doesnt develop as expected.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What's your example?

So we're going to lose games 35-7 for the first 6-8 weeks of the season and then lose them 35-28 at the end of the season? Isn't the idea that good coaching makes the difference in tight games? How do you have ++ QB play and ++ coaching and still end up with a top 3 pick.
Just right off hand without researching the Redskins won two superbowls. Dallas had a great OL and did well with serviceable QBs. Recent memory the Rams and maybe Atlanta. Oh yeah did you forget our SB with Warner.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Just right off hand without researching the Redskins won two superbowls. Dallas had a great OL and did well with serviceable QBs. Recent memory the Rams and maybe Atlanta. Oh yeah did you forget our SB with Warner.
Redskins actually won 3 Superbowls under Gibbs, with 3 different starting QB's. That's coaching!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

So your example is from more than 30 years ago. Extremely relevant!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Are we thinking Paris can't play LT?

Feels like he would slide to LT and we would draft RT and/or G.
No. But I feel like the OTs in this upcoming class are better prospects so I would rather just plug them into the LT spot and let Paris stay where he is successful. If we don't, I see no reason the Cardinals couldn't flip Paris to LT in the future once DJ is done.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With how dominant pass-rushers are rushing from both sides, RT is very valuable just like LTs.
If only Keim felt that way in 2020.

Sidenote: George Pickens looks really good. As I said the only flaw with Chiefs scouting is they favor drafting small wrs like Keim. Close to getting him as well

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Blindside is still an issue (no correlation to todays news)...can't avoid what you can't see.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not clear on the scenario where Kyler balls out and we still end up 4-13. How does that work?

I got it for you.

Kyler's first game back is week 8 against the Ravens.

Prior record is 1-6.

Week 8: Kyler comes back and keeps the Ravens game competitive but ultimately they ultimately lose by a FG. 1-7

Week 9: Cardinals journey to Cleveland in early November and the Browns just run all over the Cardinals. The Cardinals lose by less than a TD. 1-8. Kyler looks a little rusty in his second game back and the city is gnashing

Week 10: Cardinals hosting the Falcons. Kyler puts on a show in his third game back and the Cardinals win by 10 over the Falcons. 2-8

Week 11: Cardinals at Texans. Two worst teams in football but Kyler is in Texas and again plays very well. He gets his record to .500 3-8

Week 12: Rams at Cardinals. Divisional game at home and Kyler plays decent but the Cardinals miss 2 FGs and lose by 3. 3-9

Week 13: Cardinals at Steelers. December in Pittsburgh and its a physical low scoring game that is similar to the Browns. Cardinals are run off the field 3-10

Week 14: Bye

Week 15: 49ers at Cardinals. Fresh of the bye week, Murray is ready to go and outplays Brock Purdy. The Cardinals land a massive upset over the 49ers and are now 4-10.

Week 16. Christmas in Chicago. The Cardinals run into two curses at once...cold weather game plus a game on the holiday. They have unforced errors and lose a close one 4-11

Week 17. Cardinals at Eagles. See the previous game. Everyone is predicting a blowout but the Cardinals keep it much closer than expected and the Eagles win at the last minute. 4-12

Week 18. Home Seahawks. Cardinals don't play a bunch of guys rather than risk their draft position. That includes Murray. The Cardinals end the season 4-13 and have a top 3 pick.

Cardinals lose every game Murray plays in by less than 1 score despite the 3 road December games. Murray plays well enough to give the organization pause about what if the team around him is better.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
agree. But Hump turns 30 this year...and while linemen usually play pretty well to 34 or 35... if there is a solid prospect there it makes sense to snatch him up... then put Hump on the trading block after a year.
wait a year just in case the rookie doesnt develop as expected.
But: if Kyler looks like he is the guy

go into 2024 and 2025 with a solid tackle duo and use your resources to fill as many issues as you can

and then in 2026, Paris slides to LT and you figure out who your RT

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Week 16. Christmas in Chicago. The Cardinals run into two curses at once...cold weather game plus a game on the holiday. They have unforced errors and lose a close one 4-11
This is the one you’d really have to scratch your head about.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's your example?

So we're going to lose games 35-7 for the first 6-8 weeks of the season and then lose them 35-28 at the end of the season? Isn't the idea that good coaching makes the difference in tight games? How do you have ++ QB play and ++ coaching and still end up with a top 3 pick.
Agree. In a perfect world, Petzing's offense is a time consuming one. Even against Denver, albeit a preseason game, we dominated the time of possession. If Murray does ball out, and I really believe he will, this offense will keep our defense off the field, thus I don't see this D being scored upon to the tune of 35 points. Bottom line, if Murray stays healthy & this offense keeps our D off the field, this team is not going 4-13. If Murray is back by week 3-4, this team could win 7-8 games.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We'd be losing a lot of shootouts in that scenario but I doubt we are a high powered offense this year.
Maybe not high powered, but a Petzing offense can dominate the time of possession & thus keep our D off the field. A well rested D is ALWAYS a better D. That was half the problem last year when our O would run 3 plays and only take 35 seconds off the clock. Even when this team was winning games the first half of 2021, they never dominated the TOP. Part of the reason why the D collapsed the 2nd half of 2021.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm 'asserting' that they are not quite as monumental as you may be suggesting.
The salary cap and how it impacted the construction of teams in 1994 was pretty monumental.

4 NFL franchises have been added in the past 30 years increasing the league from 28 teams to 32. That is pretty monumental.

Total yards per game have increased. Passing yards. Passing attempts. Plays per game. All have increased. Defensive rules have changed to favor the offense.

I didn't make the statement, but I feel it is fair to say the NFL game as a whole has changed pretty significantly over the past 30 years. Especially in relation to QBs and offense.