2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score

I'm saying it

I think the reason he came here was to win a ring somewhere other than Golden State

Why do you think he's literally one of the hardest workers in the League? Never stops training. Because he's already happy with what he's accomplished? Winning just makes some people want to win more - people like Kevin Durant - who absolutely still has something to prove

If you want to question his will to win be my guest - I personally think the desire is still there and that he knows the iron won't be hot forever - and that this could be his last chance to strike it

And you know me, you can name 800 different cats or teams that grew complacent after winning and I'll tell you none of them are named Kevin Durant or the Phoenix Suns for that matter
Then you have someone like DA who trophy was getting a 2nd contract. Whatever the over is on the Suns trading DA i would bet it

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
hmm, never see DA doing this stuff in the offseason, must be in Bahamas on the beach hitting a bong trying to figure out why nobody likes him incl his teammates

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The craziest thing about your theory that ring winners lose their drive is the number of teams that were multiple time winners. Were the 80s lakers and Celtics complacent? The back to back pistons? The spurs? The warriors? Thems a lot of ring winners that didn’t get complacent.

Those teams stayed together. That's a bit different. When you're the best and the vast majority return and you remain the best, its not that surprising.

Look at the number of stars who have won titles for multiple franchises though. That list is pretty small. Typically once the star moves on, his days of winning championships are over. There's exceptions to that, an extremely motivated Shaq proving he could win without Kobe in Miami. LeBron is a real oddity but he's arguably the GOAT. Kawhi won in Toronto but timing and luck was in their favor for that run. I can't think of any others right now.

Durant hasn't led a team to a title until he joined a team that had already won a championship without him, and won another since he left. He's not who he was at his peak either anymore at 34 year olds and suffering the injuries he has. That's not to say he can't contribute to a team with championship aspirations but I believe the days of being the best player on that team are. He's not leading us to a title. If we want to win then Booker needs to take that step that Wade did when Shaq arrived in Miami into becoming a superstar. He's going to have to lead this team. I think part of why we fell short is even though he surpassed Paul on the court he still led him lead and looked to him as a leader. He can't do that again with KD. He needs to step up, as he's shown he's capable of doing, and take over when everything's on the line or this team will short.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Those teams stayed together. That's a bit different. When you're the best and the vast majority return and you remain the best, its not that surprising.

Look at the number of stars who have won titles for multiple franchises though. That list is pretty small. Typically once the star moves on, his days of winning championships are over. There's exceptions to that, an extremely motivated Shaq proving he could win without Kobe in Miami. LeBron is a real oddity but he's arguably the GOAT. Kawhi won in Toronto but timing and luck was in their favor for that run. I can't think of any others right now.

Durant hasn't led a team to a title until he joined a team that had already won a championship without him, and won another since he left. He's not who he was at his peak either anymore at 34 year olds and suffering the injuries he has. That's not to say he can't contribute to a team with championship aspirations but I believe the days of being the best player on that team are. He's not leading us to a title. If we want to win then Booker needs to take that step that Wade did when Shaq arrived in Miami into becoming a superstar. He's going to have to lead this team. I think part of why we fell short is even though he surpassed Paul on the court he still led him lead and looked to him as a leader. He can't do that again with KD. He needs to step up, as he's shown he's capable of doing, and take over when everything's on the line or this team will short.
Sounds like you're saying it's highly unlikely for a player to win championships with multiple teams - and I'd have to agree

But I think that just puts more tackling fuel in KD's cup, especially with (as you mentioned) LeBron doing it

We started off talking about if KD's desire to win a championship was still there - and if it is as strong as it's ever been. There's honestly no way to be certain but your post sure gives a lot of reasons as to why KD should be motivated, reasons I couldn't have explained better myself

KD is still a top 5 player in the League as far as proficiency and clutch time goes. I don't know how long that'll last but I don't see him falling off the map any time soon - but winning a ring in Phx would further cement his greatness

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Questioning KD’s work effort or drive is freaking nuts. It’s been well documented by his teams and coaches. It takes a huge amount of motivation to comeback from injury verses saying screw it and hang it up. Certain guys are built different and are so competitive no matter how many rings they win. Winning a title in the NBA is hard. Guys leave, get injured, assistants promoted, other teams get more competitive and there is some luck involved. Saying someone gets complacent because they won a title already seems to be one of reasons lowest on the totem pole of reasons teams don’t repeat.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We started off talking about if KD's desire to win a championship was still there - and if it is as strong as it's ever been. There's honestly no way to be certain but your post sure gives a lot of reasons as to why KD should be motivated, reasons I couldn't have explained better myself

This seemed to have branched into a bit of craziness simply because I questioned your belief of him being driven as ever as well as him having the best work ethic in the league. I'm not surprised some have taken the opportunity to turn into me outright questioning KD's desire and work ethic when that was never the intent. I just wanted to know why you believed the things you do.

I think we've reached an understanding though. I'm sure KD wants to win but since he has I doubt his desire is the same as it was before. If all he was focused on is winning rings then he'd have never left Golden State. I believe he does want to win another but I don't believe his drive, or that he's capable, of being of pushing as hard as he did back in OKC. That's why I think Booker needs to be the #1.

As far as the work ethic, he's just not someone I've heard as a gym rat. Typically when I hear about him outside of games its for the dumb arguments he gets into with fans online. He's far too old now and set in those ways that I don't expect that to change, I just hope it doesn't detract from this team's quest for a title.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This seemed to have branched into a bit of craziness simply because I questioned your belief of him being driven as ever as well as him having the best work ethic in the league. I'm not surprised some have taken the opportunity to turn into me outright questioning KD's desire and work ethic when that was never the intent. I just wanted to know why you believed the things you do.

I think we've reached an understanding though. I'm sure KD wants to win but since he has I doubt his desire is the same as it was before. If all he was focused on is winning rings then he'd have never left Golden State. I believe he does want to win another but I don't believe his drive, or that he's capable, of being of pushing as hard as he did back in OKC. That's why I think Booker needs to be the #1.

As far as the work ethic, he's just not someone I've heard as a gym rat. Typically when I hear about him outside of games its for the dumb arguments he gets into with fans online. He's far too old now and set in those ways that I don't expect that to change, I just hope it doesn't detract from this team's quest for a title.
There's quotes on video by KD himself, he left GS because of Draymond Green, more precisely how Steve Kerr and the team ignored a mistake that cost GS a game with the Clippers and ultimately their chance at a third ring.

Draymond and KD discuss KD leaving GS

There's other videos I have seen where KD gives the same reasoning.

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

I get it, and we see it happen in everything from sports to rocknroll, it can be harder to push one's self after achieving the ultimate success

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be worse. I am watching the Mercury right now...

I'm expecting big changes with the Mercury during the off season with Mat Ishbia as the owner. I don't think he will settle for anything less than fielding a contender.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm expecting big changes with the Mercury during the off season with Mat Ishbia as the owner. I don't think he will settle for anything less than fielding a contender.
We need the same overhaul like the Suns. We need to get younger, longer, and more athletic.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
From the coaching change this season not improving things, I expect we will overhaul the Mercury coaching staff, too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the coaching change this season not improving things, I expect we will overhaul the Mercury coaching staff, too.

Sometimes I read the comments after the Mercury articles on Arizona Sports.

I'm absolutely appalled how rude some of the comments are regarding Brittney Griner. I hope they are not representative of Mercury fans.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sometimes I read the comments after the Mercury articles on Arizona Sports.

I'm absolutely appalled how rude some of the comments are regarding Brittney Griner. I hope they are not representative of Mercury fans.

People are so ignorant. I got in a big argument with a couple guys at work who were just spouting off Fox talking points. The Mercury games she is in a stadium full of people who love her. I think it's outside of the court she is getting a lot of harassment.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you have not heard that that but it's been around for years. Players and coaches alike have said as much as well. This is just a sampling of articles that have also mentioned it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05