2024 Free Agency thread

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So why are you not sure that we'll have a VG running game this year, as you posted above? Or are you indicating that a ground and pound offense won't impact the TOP?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Don't have stats to back up this opinion, but with Kyler back last year it seemed that we finished the year running the ball pretty well. Since then we used three third round picks on an OG, RB and a blocking TE. For that reason I feel confident in expecting a VG running game, this year.
The Cardinals pretty much had a top five run game across the board

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So why are you not sure that we'll have a VG running game this year, as you posted above? Or are you indicating that a ground and pound offense won't impact the TOP?
I don’t think it has much impact on TOP or protecting the defense. I did an analysis on this last year. You run when you win, not the other way around.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I actually do not think that any more free agent signings are planned for the Cardinals, because it would basicly mess up the long term plan.

At corner and edge there is a lot of unproven talent and it's hard to argue that there is a player available that would make the team significantly better and so good the outcome is better than the existing player AND developing that player.
I get it, but there is nothing wrong with bringing in a vet on a 1 year deal to improve a position and create competition. Sink or swim rookies.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The Cardinals pretty much had a top five run game across the board
Imo that the best thing we can do to give Kyler the best chance to succeed. If they have to focus on the stopping the run, Kyler is as big a weapon and anyone on our team.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't too long ago when Chandler Jones led the league in sacks for the Cards... Okay that feels like a long time ago.
Remember when many many posters around here wanted to extend Chandler and pay him big bucks after his one 5 sack game against an injured T in Tennessee? Then didn’t do Jack squat the entire rest of the year and became a complete head case the year after that. Ooooof!!!!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Remember when many many posters around here wanted to extend Chandler and pay him big bucks after his one 5 sack game against an injured T in Tennessee? Then didn’t do Jack squat the entire rest of the year and became a complete head case the year after that. Ooooof!!!!
One of the few good decisions the X GM made

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think it has much impact on TOP or protecting the defense. I did an analysis on this last year. You run when you win, not the other way around.
Or you run AND you win. To me it just seems logical that running the ball takes more time off the clock. Thus less time for our defense to be on the field. And this helps our pass defense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or you run AND you win. To me it just seems logical that running the ball takes more time off the clock. Thus less time for our defense to be on the field. And this helps our pass defense.
You’d think that, but you’d be empirically wrong

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You could just admit I'm right
But you're not. I was trying to make a joke that when the game is decided it's impossible to gain yards because the game is over.

The top rushing teams (yardage) in 2023-24 were:
1 - Baltimore
2 - Chicago
3 - San Fran
4 - Arizona
5 - Detroit
6 - Miami
7 - Buffalo
8 - Philly

9 - Atlanta
10 - Indy

Seven made the playoffs (bolded); three picked in the top 10 of the NFL Draft. Of the seven playoff entrants, Miami and Philly were bounced in the Wild Card round by a combined 42 points. Those same seven playoff teams finished in the top 10 scoring offenses.

But let's check the top 10 teams by TOP in 2023:
1 - CLE
2 - BUF

3 - CHI
4 - DAL
5 - NO
6 - DET
7 - CAR
8 - SF
9 - BAL

10 - JAX

Fewer time of possession leaders made the playoffs, and more losers/stinkers snuck into the top 10.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
But you're not. I was trying to make a joke that when the game is decided it's impossible to gain yards because the game is over.

1 - Baltimore
2 - Chicago
3 - San Fran
4 - Arizona
5 - Detroit
6 - Miami
7 - Buffalo
8 - Philly

9 - Atlanta
10 - Indy

Seven made the playoffs (bolded); three picked in the top 10 of the NFL Draft. Of the seven playoff entrants, Miami and Philly were bounced in the Wild Card round by a combined 42 points. Those same seven playoff teams finished in the top 10 scoring offenses.

1 - CLE
2 - BUF

3 - CHI
4 - DAL
5 - NO
6 - DET
7 - CAR
8 - SF
9 - BAL

10 - JAX

Fewer time of possession leaders made the playoffs, and more losers/stinkers snuck into the top 10.
Yeah, that single season Stat point is certainly decisive

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

1 - Baltimore
2 - Chicago
3 - San Fran
4 - Arizona
5 - Detroit
6 - Miami
7 - Buffalo
8 - Philly

9 - Atlanta
10 - Indy

1 - CLE
2 - BUF

3 - CHI
4 - DAL
5 - NO
6 - DET
7 - CAR
8 - SF
9 - BAL

10 - JAX

You might be right... in 1966 Green Bay was 11th in rushing at 119 yards per game and still won the super bowl
So we don't even have to be top 10.

But I would still aim for 200 yards per game

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Not sure what the argument is. If you can run the ball, it’s a good thing.
According to the stats provided, 70% of the top rushing teams made the playoffs.

Time of possession is harder because a lot of that is turnovers.

In college, I’m guessing Michigan was near the top in rushing offense and they won it all.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
According to the stats provided, 70% of the top rushing teams made the playoffs.

In college, I’m guessing Michigan was near the top in rushing offense and they won it all.
Hard to manage ToP when you bust out 40+yard runs too

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah, that single season Stat point is certainly decisive

You might be right... in 1966 Green Bay was 11th in rushing at 119 yards per game and still won the super bowl
So we don't even have to be top 10.

But I would still aim for 200 yards per game

You can deny the facts but I’m the only one bringing them to the table. Your vibes-based analysis is not very compelling.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Here are the 10 passing teams from 2023 in passing yards per game. 7 of them also made the playoffs. So basically if you can have a top 10 rushing or passing attack, you have a 70% chance to make the playoffs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maksince98