2024 Twitter Thread (News of the Cards)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's a lot of things that go into that decision, but I don't believe that following his DC was the primary driver or couldn't be overridden with more money/convincing.

I think it's just as likely that he was tired of losing and recognized that the Arizona Cardinals were a toxic organization and bailed. There just isn't a lot of precedent for blue- or red-chip players taking their second contract and chasing anything besides money.
Guys… the answer to this is probably much more simple than he hated losing, followed his coach, loves snowboarding, etc etc.

Look at how much money we’ve spent on FA in two off-seasons, then look at the contract he got. We haven’t signed anyone to anything CLOSE to what he got in FA. The truth is probably much harsher than any of the reasons above. We probably never even made an offer for someone as expensive as he was going to be on the market or we just totally low-balled him so much that it was clear he didn’t fit on this team… not because of talent, but because we just haven’t spent much money in either off-season… from the GM to HC to the assistants, all the way down to the FAs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just doesn't make sense to spend 3.75 mil on a kicker when Marcus Davenport signed for 3.5 mil. Darrell Taylor 3.1. Clelin Ferrell 3.75. Sebastion Joseph Day 3.9 mil. Calais Campbell 2 mil.

So many better ways to spend money when your defense is devoid to talent.
Especially in years where it’s very apparent you’re not trying to win. That is the time when you can basically try out young Kickers to see if you can find someone to depend on for the future.

Which isn’t said in hindsight… that was my opinion at the time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Guys… the answer to this is probably much more simple than he hated losing, followed his coach, loves snowboarding, etc etc.

Look at how much money we’ve spent on FA in two off-seasons, then look at the contract he got. We haven’t signed anyone to anything CLOSE to what he got in FA. The truth is probably much harsher than any of the reasons above. We probably never even made an offer for someone as expensive as he was going to be on the market or we just totally low-balled him so much that it was clear he didn’t fit on this team… not because of talent, but because we just haven’t spent much money in either off-season… from the GM to HC to the assistants, all the way down to the FAs.
I mean maybe but we said we made a competitive offer to him. Regardless it was stupid to conclude the guy was Basically Bilal Nichols Anyway.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean maybe but we said we made a competitive offer to him. Regardless it was stupid to conclude the guy was Basically Bilal Nichols Anyway.
First, did they ever actually say that?

Second, what’s considered “competitive” to this franchise probably isn’t considered “competitive” ion the open market, considering they haven’t gone after anyone like that and we’ve seen them let GM candidates get away because they weren’t competitive enough with financials (a point repeatedly brought up by you). And last, even if they said they gave a competitive offer, why should we even believe them when we’ve seen they haven’t made competitive offers to anyone who would actually get big-ish money in FA?

We’re one of the cheapest teams in the league up and down the franchise and he was a sought after FA who was going to get big money. I think we’re talking Occam’s Razor here.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First, did they ever actually say that?

Second, what’s considered “competitive” to this franchise probably isn’t considered “competitive” ion the open market, considering they haven’t gone after anyone like that and we’ve seen them let GM candidates get away because they weren’t competitive enough with financials (a point repeatedly brought up by you). And last, even if they said they gave a competitive offer, why should we even believe them when we’ve seen they haven’t made competitive offers to anyone who would actually get big-ish money in FA?

We’re one of the cheapest teams in the league up and down the franchise and he was a sought after FA who was going to get big money. I think we’re talking Occam’s Razor here.
Yes, when your owners generate their wealth through their football operations being one of the cheapest is a given.