3 Concerns the Cards Have About the Upcoming Season

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We've had two cycles, or will have by the time the season starts.
So, Nurse Ratched, at this point, we have only had ONE cycle FA, draft, camp cuts, etc. Check back after a few months and you will be correct. Right now, it is ONE, not TWO.

"If Mr. Stout doesn't want to take his medication orally, I'm sure we can arrange that he can have it some other way. But I don't think that he would like it."

PS. Why would you scold me but then correct your statement and post it anyway?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who’s more likely to make the final 53: Cam Thomas or Marquis Hayes?

Neither. Both were Keim picks and don't have any ties to the current front office. With 12 players drafted and a bunch of FAs signed this offseason it's going to be an uphill battle for both players to make this roster.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I have zero hope Collins makes that jump. I have some hope Ojulari makes a jump, but limited hope it is a "big" jump.
I'm probably in the small hope for Zaven camp, and a medium hope for Ojulari.

Sometimes it takes a year for a position switch to work. If you asked after six weeks last year about the switch, most would have been positive, but Zaven really sucked for the last ten games or so.

Ojulari showed limited flashes and at least played edge in college.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So, Nurse Ratched, at this point, we have only had ONE cycle FA, draft, camp cuts, etc. Check back after a few months and you will be correct. Right now, it is ONE, not TWO.

"If Mr. Stout doesn't want to take his medication orally, I'm sure we can arrange that he can have it some other way. But I don't think that he would like it."

PS. Why would you scold me but then correct your statement and post it anyway?
Yeah, when someone insults me like a complete ass, I kind of don't feel the need to justify a single word. We've certainly had more than a full cycle to patch up the roster, not merely one, as you claim.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a show of faith, I am planning on getting the ticket this year. I think this team will be better than last year (not difficult), and am curious to see some of the new players.
Ditto

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because we have some serious young prospects in the CB room and really only one somewhat disappointing one in the Edge room.

We have 2 guys with a year each at Edge, a 1st round draft pick who is going to play some Edge and a 5th round pick that was a 5 star recruit with a former 1st round grade.

Let's not pretend there isn't as much scope for growth in the Edge room.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We have 2 guys with a year each at Edge, a 1st round draft pick who is going to play some Edge and a 5th round pick that was a 5 star recruit with a former 1st round grade.

Let's not pretend there isn't as much scope for growth in the Edge room.
There isn't. Is it Collin's you're pimping? Because he's a nothing burger and the only guy I can think of you referencing in the beginning. Ojulari is our one hope, yes. DR wasn't drafted as an edge and will play more as an end/inside rusher, so he's not in the room. And a 5th round pick. You're touting his recruiting stars? Really?

Our CB room clearly has more potential than our Edge room. The board knows it. We both do. The Edge room is the weakest room on the team.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
There isn't. Is it Collin's you're pimping? Because he's a nothing burger and the only guy I can think of you referencing in the beginning. Ojulari is our one hope, yes. DR wasn't drafted as an edge and will play more as an end/inside rusher, so he's not in the room. And a 5th round pick. You're touting his recruiting stars? Really?

Our CB room clearly has more potential than our Edge room. The board knows it. We both do. The Edge room is the weakest room on the team.
It’s is the weakest, but they have added to it. Either way it needs more help and it should still be better than last year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
To say there is no potential there is ridiculous.
Just to pick nits. Every player has "potential". Could be potential to be good or potential to be off the roster. As someone who has discussed in multiple threads about mid to late round picks and their poor hit rates, it seems odd you would pin any hopes on a 5th round pick.

Like I get if you think he has the potential to develop into a better version of Dimukeje but even that isn't something anyone should pin their hopes on to make an impact.

CB at least has a borderline league average CB, a 2023 3d round pick, a 2023 6th round pick, 2024 2nd round pick, and a 2024 3rd round pick. Significantly more young draft equity invested in the CB room vs the EDGE room.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I think I have more faith in the 5th round rookie at this point than I do for BJ. At least he has some traits that could pan it.
He seems to be healthy from the git go which gives him a better chance. He needs to stay that way.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You never stooped this low before.

Seriously. Calling a 25 year-old a former five star recruit is digging DEEP for promise.

I have high hopes for both Collins and Ojulari. Call me crazy.

It's pretty crazy. Hope that they're in the NFL in four years is good. Hope that they're... among the top four or five players on a playoff defense? I think that's reaching.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To say there is no potential there is ridiculous.
I think it’s important to note who made the comments and move on.

Rightfully so, only on-the-field performance will prove speculative pre-season thoughts to be insights or just fact based speculation.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We hate fact-based speculation here apparently
What I like about you? You bring your facts with you although i find them to be mostly hope crushers.

Since hope is the only thing i have as a Cardinals fan, it can be painful at times but also reminds me when the level of my hope might be a touch too high:)

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Gannon and Rallis seem to like Collins.
In 2023 Collins started every game, had more defensive snaps (637) than any edge player by over 100.
Gardeck started 9 games with 510 defensive snaps and played 181 ST snaps.
Dimukeje started 6 games with 386 defensive snaps and 285 ST snaps
C. Thomas started 3 games with 355 defensive snaps and 119 ST snaps and was IA for last 2 games.
Ojulari played 409 defensive snaps with no starts and 92 ST snaps
Luketa played 132 defensive snaps and 285 ST snaps.
T. Smith played 10 defensive snaps while C. Thomas was IA.

They played all year with 6 edge active for games.

Unless something changes (quite possible), T. Smith is probably Practice Squad at best or gone, with
X. Thomas fighting with Luketa and C. Thomas for last spot on 53 roster with one or both moved to PS.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman