$35.5M in cap space

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Conner but I don’t think I would extend him at this point. Given his age and running style, I can see him fall off after this year. Not to mention we have Benson and Carter. I would like to see how they look before extending anyone
I’m for extending him for two more years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Bad teams sign aging injury-prone veteran RBs to multi-year extensions. Let's not be a bad team. Ride him into the ground and then go young.
I don't feel Conner has been significantly injury prone. He misses a few games every year...that is normal for most RBs. Also, the convo has to come down to cost. Do you pay him 8 mil per year? No. Is 5 mil per year bad? Also no.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't feel Conner has been significantly injury prone. He misses a few games every year...that is normal for most RBs. Also, the convo has to come down to cost. Do you pay him 8 mil per year? No. Is 5 mil per year bad? Also no.
Again, no thanks. This is a decision Keim would make. Is 5 mill per year bad if he falls of the RB cliff, which is very possible in the next 3 years. Nah, not possibly--highly likely.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Extending Conner and Baker would be beyond a bad business decision.
They’ve been good players, teammates, leaders, etc., and they’ve been well compensated.

Bring them back for minimums with incentives is ok. Anything else, forget it.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love Conner but I don’t think I would extend him at this point. Given his age and running style, I can see him fall off after this year. Not to mention we have Benson and Carter. I would like to see how they look before extending anyone
Running backs are very cheap, if we extend him we aren't risking much if he happens to slow down. In the worst case scenario it's easy to get out of those contracts. He's been talking about wanting to retire here, I bet we could get him to take a paycut if needed, maybe turn him into a goal line back at a lower cost if he slows down. Considering how much of a difference maker he is, I think the risk/reward profile of extending him is very favorable.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Extending Conner and Baker would be beyond a bad business decision.
They’ve been good players, teammates, leaders, etc., and they’ve been well compensated.

Bring them back for minimums with incentives is ok. Anything else, forget it.
2 things.

1 - Where else are we spending our cap dollars?

2 - There is a large gap between vet min and the 9 mil/18mil respectively.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Again, no thanks. This is a decision Keim would make. Is 5 mill per year bad if he falls of the RB cliff, which is very possible in the next 3 years. Nah, not possibly--highly likely.
No. But even with paying Conner 5 mil next year,, the Cardinals would rank 12-14 in RB position spending. 3 mil to DJ Dallas, 1.3 to Benson. 1 to Demercado.

The Cardinals want to run the ball. The Cardinals need leaders. The Cardinals will need to spend to get to the cap min. The Cardinals don't spend big on outside FAs. 3yrs for 15 mil is inconsequential to the Cardinals over the next 3 years. Why waste a draft pick or bring in an unknown FA? And all of your assertion is based on Benson being a number 1 back which we have little indicator he will be.

Stout

Reaction score
2 things.

#1 is a bad reason to make a bad business decision and is instead an indictment of Monti.

A team doesn't have to pay an aging vet RB top dollar for it to be a really bad decision.

Stout

Reaction score
No. But even with paying Conner 5 mil next year,, the Cardinals would rank 12-14 in RB position spending. 3 mil to DJ Dallas, 1.3 to Benson. 1 to Demercado.

The Cardinals want to run the ball. The Cardinals need leaders. The Cardinals will need to spend to get to the cap min. The Cardinals don't spend big on outside FAs. 3yrs for 15 mil is inconsequential to the Cardinals over the next 3 years. Why waste a draft pick or bring in an unknown FA? And all of your assertion is based on Benson being a number 1 back which we have little indicator he will be.
Same logic with a different position and we got the corpse of Zach Ertz, who held back our young talent at the position. The reasoning for overpaying that aging veteran was the need for leadership and the need for talent at the position. How'd that work out for the team?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Same logic with a different position and we got the corpse of Zach Ertz, who held back our young talent at the position. The reasoning for overpaying that aging veteran was the need for leadership and the need for talent at the position. How'd that work out for the team?
Eh Ertz never was the team leader and fan favorite that Conner has become.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
#1 is a bad reason to make a bad business decision and is instead an indictment of Monti.

A team doesn't have to pay an aging vet RB top dollar for it to be a really bad decision.
I think the Cardinals are in great shape financially and spending a lower to mid level RB contract isn't going to derail it.

Where the Cardinals could go wrong is spending big money on risky veterans from other teams, aka the Keim way. Next off season, Monti is going to have a good amount of cap with only mid level veterans to resign. Even if you resign all of the mid level vets, there will still be probably $50 mill to spend on outside free agents.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
2 things.

But We most likely not going to spend Cap space on Them. Neither of Them are going to get pay raises in my opinion. Some Might be spent to front load the deals, But Small money

Stout

Reaction score
Eh Ertz never was the team leader and fan favorite that Conner has become.
Fan favorite means nothing to this discussion. We're now parsing how much of a team leader would be acceptable for someone who is signed to an extension and then falls to pieces. No thanks to a JC two-year extension.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fan favorite means nothing to this discussion. We're now parsing how much of a team leader would be acceptable for someone who is signed to an extension and then falls to pieces. No thanks to a JC two-year extension.
Conner has performed to expectations throughout his contract.

This is tantamount to those people who tell poor people to cut down on their Starbucks expenditures.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Signing big name free agents when you have a losing team is a recipe for disaster. Let’s focus on being a winning team first before going after big name free agents. I like our current approach.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
lol at a one or two year deal for Conner hurting the team. Conner has been a beast he won’t break the bank. If he doesn’t show signs of slowing this year it’s a no brainer.
A primary rule of running a business well is when you have finite resources do not use them until you have to use them. No one is stealing Connor away from the cards at this stage of his careee with a multi-year deal. If it’s not a wise deal for other clubs it’s generally not a good deal for ours either. We can continue to do good one year deals with him until it’s no longer wise to do so.

I also kinda chuckle at the arguments that it’s smaller dollars so who cares? A mistake is a mistake. If it’s a smaller mistake that’s obviously better, but it’s still a mistake. Lots of small mistakes add up, so a good decisionmaker avoids them. This is a cost/benefit analysis and that favors one year contracts. You have to take the fanboi, homer, emotion out of the decision.

Stout

Reaction score
A primary rule of running a business well is when you have finite resources do not use them until you have to use them. No one is stealing Connor away from the cards at this stage of his careee with a multi-year deal. If it’s not a wise deal for other clubs it’s generally not a good deal for ours either. We can continue to do good one year deals with him until it’s no longer wise to do so.

I also kinda chuckle at the arguments that it’s smaller dollars so who cares? A mistake is a mistake. If it’s a smaller mistake that’s obviously better, but it’s still a mistake. Lots of small mistakes add up, so a good decisionmaker avoids them. This is a cost/benefit analysis and that favors one year contracts. You have to take the fanboi, homer, emotion out of the decision.
Sensible take.