$35.5M in cap space

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup! We could have extended him with a different deal prior to accepting or declining it. By declining it, it gives the players access to UFA. I'm not sure if we could use the Franchise tag on him though, both that we would.

That why I listed Collins and McBride as potentials next off season. If we carry over some of that $30 million for McBride, I think that would be smart. Collins is an absolute wait and see.
Unless Collins has an awesome year, (like Reddick in his contract year) I can't see any way we re-sign him.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless Collins has an awesome year, (like Reddick in his contract year) I can't see any way we re-sign him.
Agreed. Even Reddick turned down an extension offer for that 1 year cheap deal in Carolina. I think pride becomes a factor for the player too.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Missed opportunity if we don't use it to extend some players. It puts more pressure on draft picks to perform, but if we are being honest, Cardinals fans aren't a demanding fan base. Hopefully the coaching and the NFC can fill in the gaps.
Keep in mind, before the season begins we'll probably suffer a couple of injuries, necessitating the signings of a couple of FA's.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Counterpoint, Brit. You have told us for several years not to worry, that we'd spend the rolled over cap space next year. When does next year become this year? Why the heck wouldn't you spend if you could eke out a few more wins, which can be a huge difference in this league? That doesn't make sense, not wanting to eke out a few more wins.
Agreed. If we could eke out a couple more wins and make the wildcard that would be huge for this teams learning curve.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Keep in mind, before the season begins we'll probably suffer a couple of injuries, necessitating the signings of a couple of FA's.
Generally speaking...players who sign at this time of year don't demand a ton of salary. There have been exceptions historically, but it is not the norm and certainly shouldn't exhaust 35 mil in space. (unless they structure them to do so)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe. It just doesn't feel like a bad breakup situation. Collins isn't staying away and demanding trades and the Cardinals coaching staff are consistently offering extra time to work with him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. It just doesn't feel like a bad breakup situation. Collins isn't staying away and demanding trades and the Cardinals coaching staff are consistently offering extra time to work with him.
I don't think so either. I just will be shocked that both the team and Collins are able to agree. Maybe he re-signs on a cheaper deal. I could be wrong though.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m not extending Froholdt, White, or any of the middling players. They are all easily replaceable with other so-so players.
Use cap space on difference makers.

Extend Harrison now :).
Historically speaking, I don't believe this true. And I guess it depends on your view of difference makers. Fro and White have made a difference. If they don't qualify, I am curious if you feel any of the Cardinals free agent signings qualify. And if they don't, maybe it means the Cardinals are not in the market for FA difference makers.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't re-sign a player like Fro when the only way you are upgrading from him is by hoping Creed Humphrey is a FA, who isn't franchised, and you can sign him OR using a day 1 or 2 pick on a C and hope he pans out.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Agree. The Cardinals aren’t in the market for difference makers. They never have been. When Mike Iupati is probably your most significant FA signing ever, that should tell you everything you need to know.

No, I don’t think any of them have earned a long term commitment at higher money when they can get the same guy in about any off season.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the list of available FA's the only guy I'd bring in is Calais Campbell and I'm only doing that for cheap.

We have some vets in that room but Campbell is a GOAT. He'd be a great mentor for guys like Robinson, and he's still a good player who I'm sure still has a place out in Arizona. It would be a nice story for him to finish his career here.

And he has all the character and work ethic the team covets. I doubt it would happen though, would be very off brand for them to sign someone that age.

Calais should end his career as a Cardinal. It's a no brainier

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of options for extensions tbh. What you will notice is we have lots of dudes who are on their second or so teams and will be 29 or 30 when they are free agents. Not top of the market guys and not price ages to get big deals.

Froholdt - Will be 29 and seems like he can be a league average C. Giving him a 3 year extension would be fine.

Hernandez - Will be 30 and has been a leader on the line. Physical presence who has stayed healthy. Seems to fit what this team wants to do.

Budda - Will be 29. Didn't stay away from voluntary OTAs despite last year of contract. Not sure you pay Budda and Jalen, but the Cardinals will likely get to choose.

KWhite - Will be 29. Was really good in his first year despite injury. Can't imagine he would require a huge deal and was the leader of the defense.

Zaven Collins - This is probably the trickiest one. He will be 26 and hasn't really lived up to his draft billing. That means the number will be the sticking point. Personally, I would rather pay him 3.33 mil per year like we did to keep Gardeck around as a depth piece than keep hanging onto guys like Dimukeje and given them 35% snaps. EDIT!!! disregard as Collins is nto eligible for an extension since the Cardinals declined his option year.

Conner - Will be 30. Is a RB. Do you pay him another 7 mil per year contract? Probably not. Would I give him 3yrs totaling 15 mil (5 per)? I probably would. You need more than one RB. Benson is an unknown and will need to split reps anyways. Conner is the leader on offense who works with Kyler. You don't need your 1B or #2 RB to play special teams. Seems like a no-brainer unless Conner wants 8 mil per year.

Yet again, Chopper is right.

2024 year of the Chopper

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Historically speaking, I don't believe this true. And I guess it depends on your view of difference makers. Fro and White have made a difference. If they don't qualify, I am curious if you feel any of the Cardinals free agent signings qualify. And if they don't, maybe it means the Cardinals are not in the market for FA difference makers.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't re-sign a player like Fro when the only way you are upgrading from him is by hoping Creed Humphrey is a FA, who isn't franchised, and you can sign him OR using a day 1 or 2 pick on a C and hope he pans out.
I thinks it's just wise to keep good players.

Id even consider a Budda Baker reunion at the end of the year because he's still a pretty good player and his name means something in Cardinal land. I wouldn't pay him an outrageous sum, but I think keeping him around isn't the worst idea.

I reserved the right to change my opinion if DTD turns out to be a good NFL safety.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We signed numbers, yes, but no Big Johns. I would have targeted one of them.

When you say "One of them" you mean Christian Wilkins? He was the only "Big John" DT available in FA.

Maybe they did target him but didn't want to pay $27.5m a year to a guy that averaged less than 3 sacks a year in his 1st 4 years before having one great season with 9 sacks last year?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I can. They always rave about him. What we call an awesome year is very different to what the team does. They like Zaven because he can do a lot of things for them and do them at a decent level. He was actually the highest graded defensive player last year per PFF with a 72.1 grade.

It's just that one of the things he can't do (so far) is win a pass rush against a tackle 1 v 1.

Even if he has a year like last year without a great pass rush performance I can see him signing a 1 year $5m deal or similar. I think he likes it here and they like him.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thinks it's just wise to keep good players.

Id even consider a Budda Baker reunion at the end of the year because he's still a pretty good player and his name means something in Cardinal land. I wouldn't pay him an outrageous sum, but I think keeping him around isn't the worst idea.

I reserved the right to change my opinion if DTD turns out to be a good NFL safety.

This is the main problem with Budda. Safeties, even very good ones, just aren't getting paid, with a few exceptions. And I don't think Budda has been great since 20/21.

His market value at age 29 is around $9-10m.

There are a tonne of good FA safeties still unsigned too.