$35.5M in cap space

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I wish we would have had picked up a pass rusher in free agency. I'm somewhere between happy and ecstatic with the rest of the offseason though.
Me too..but even then the pickings were slim...between guys aging out and guys trying to maximize value from a single career season..all gambles. Just as likely to flame out and become an albatross as they were to provide value anywhere close to their prices

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too..but even then the pickings were slim...between guys aging out and guys trying to maximize value from a single career season..all gambles. Just as likely to flame out and become an albatross as they were to provide value anywhere close to their prices
I would have liked an aging guy as a stopgap. I have high hopes for Robinson though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not relevant. The truth remains the truth without regard to who does or does not take pleasure or solace from it
The truth is that we never spend everything we can and some folks always, always have excuses. Every season I hear "There wasn't anyone to spend it on." So there's never, year after year, anyone to spend it on. Utter BS. Don't make excuses for these jokers. The truth? Ha.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot rides on Kyler being good this year. A rebuilding team with a bunch of cap space needs to be be able to attract players that think they have a shot with a good QB.

Players don't want to sign somewhere with an Andy Dalton at QB.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It isn't Monti, IMO. His remit is to rebuild this team without spending too much. Does anyone doubt that?

Yeah. You have to spend the cap, or at least 90% of it. There might be more restrictions on cash layouts that other teams but they still have to spend the cap.

They spent all but $2m of the cap in 2020, all but $913k in 2021 and all but $2.6m in 2022 under Keim.

Last couple of years has been different because Monti knows where the team is at and is spending accordingly. He's not drunkenly spaffing cap space up the wall in desperate attempts to keep his job. Good teams build through the draft and then supplement with vets.

But no doubt the money is there to spend unless you think Mike suddenly changed strategy the last 2 years for no apparent reason, after paying Kyler top end money.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
So, any ideas if we are gonna spend this money?? Or on whom??
I had an idea..whispers and rumors from the ether...
Dallas has to sign Dak, CeeDee, and Parsons...but has nowhere near the needed flexibility... but Dak is needed, and Lamb keeps Dak effective... Micah Parsons might find himself the odd man out... which means Jerry will trade him rather than let him walk.
I would offer a 1, 2, and 3 in successive years.... then let them talk me into 2 firsts.. imagine how much better our young guys would be with Parsons on the field...
And we already know he is cool with kyler... maybe there was some recruiting over a chess match?

I dunno...but somebody may get him...and we can afford it
2 #1s and a max salary? that's not how it works anymore

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truth is that we never spend everything we can and some folks always, always have excuses. Every season I hear "There wasn't anyone to spend it on." So there's never, year after year, anyone to spend it on. Utter BS. Don't make excuses for these jokers. The truth? Ha.
Well. we did spend big on JJ, but that was clearly a few years ago. Your point is tell taken though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, any ideas if we are gonna spend this money?? Or on whom??
I had an idea..whispers and rumors from the ether...
Dallas has to sign Dak, CeeDee, and Parsons...but has nowhere near the needed flexibility... but Dak is needed, and Lamb keeps Dak effective... Micah Parsons might find himself the odd man out... which means Jerry will trade him rather than let him walk.
I would offer a 1, 2, and 3 in successive years.... then let them talk me into 2 firsts.. imagine how much better our young guys would be with Parsons on the field...
And we already know he is cool with kyler... maybe there was some recruiting over a chess match?

I dunno...but somebody may get him...and we can afford it
I don't buy that at all. I think Dallas would rather let Dak AND CeeDee go before Parsons.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. You have to spend the cap, or at least 90% of it. There might be more restrictions on cash layouts that other teams but they still have to spend the cap.

They spent all but $2m of the cap in 2020, all but $913k in 2021 and all but $2.6m in 2022 under Keim.

Last couple of years has been different because Monti knows where the team is at and is spending accordingly. He's not drunkenly spaffing cap space up the wall in desperate attempts to keep his job. Good teams build through the draft and then supplement with vets.

But no doubt the money is there to spend unless you think Mike suddenly changed strategy the last 2 years for no apparent reason, after paying Kyler top end money.
Wow, amazing stat. I wouldn't have believed that at all if I hadn't seen it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't Monti, IMO. His remit is to rebuild this team without spending too much. Does anyone doubt that?

No, I think Monti is following his own plan. In sticking with his plan he believes that he is building this team for long term sustainable success. I don't for one minute believe that MB has demanded that Monti not spend money on players.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think @MadCardDisease statement requires any "faith".

Keeping flexibility for future use when you likely aren't really challenging for a Super Bowl is a prudent approach. Players available post-draft aren't usually building block type players.

Well, let's see how much is turned over at the end of the business year, I say.

There could be some additions pre and post camp, and they may address a few possible extensions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Just because a team has $9 million going into the year, it doesn't mean the team actually has any money since the team is very likely to spend that money during the season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd