49ers | Team lowers offer for Crabtree

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
49ers | Team lowers offer for Crabtree
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 00:10:46 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Francisco 49ers have lowered their offer to first-round draft pick WR Michael Crabtree. A team source said the 49ers are willing to give Crabtree incentives that push the deal "up to a dollar less" than the package Green Bay Packers ninth-round draft pick DL B.J. Raji received, according to Yahoo! Sports' Michael Silver. The sourced added, "(But) we won't go over that. Otherwise, we're going to have the same problem next year, and the year after that…" The team is also reportedly offering less guaranteed money with every game Crabtree misses. The team offered him $16 million guaranteed with the thought he would play 80 games over five seasons. Their offer works out to $200,000 for each games, which is the amount the 49ers are prepared to subtract for each game Crabtree is unsigned.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good for them.

Coming off that victory and issuing this story is a good start for them.

That being said. I hope we beat the hell out of them in SF.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
There's money he's never getting back. Like the old cliche of water going under the bridge. What an idiot he is, and good for the 49ers.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate SF a little less after hearing this.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they had the ex 49er C on last night after the Raiders game(he was on the Raiders last year blanking on his name tons of knee problems ended his career). They asked him about Crabtree and he said I hear they're lowering the offer every week and they have given the agent a deadline if he's not signed by that deadline, the offer is off the table.

I think that's why the Crabtree will sit out the year rumor broke, they're trying to call the 49ers bluff, but I don't think they're bluffing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish the NFL would adopt rookie salary slots like the NBA. That way teams don't have to put up with kids coming out of college with huge salary demands even though they have not played a down in the NFL.

Rookie salaries are out of control as it is but I really like the idea of NFL rookie salary slots.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish the NFL would adopt rookie salary slots like the NBA. That way teams don't have to put up with kids coming out of college with huge salary demands even though they have not played a down in the NFL.

Rookie salaries are out of control as it is but I really like the idea of NFL rookie salary slots.

I agree but the NFL players union has been the problem. They won't go for it but who knows that could change with the next labor contract.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This is the question I have regarding the Crabtree situation:

Many times, high draft pick players will get high limit credit cards or take out big loans to take care of their immediate circle of family and friends. They will buy them nice clothes, cars and pay off mortgages or buy new houses, along with taking care of themselves. I would have to imagine that this is going to be the case for him. Part of the 49ers negotiating strategy at this point is that they know he has these financial obligations that will eventually catch up to him, so the ball has officially shifted into the team's court and are willing to let him rot. Players can't take care of their loved ones without that multimillion dollar contract for too long. And he can forget about lucrative endorsement deals, he has pretty much sealed his fate in that category.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is, lets say they trade his rights for a second round pick at some point, how would that work in the negotiations? If I were the 49ers, I would trade him to a team like the Lions for their 2nd, which will be the 33 or 34th pick and he can rot over there.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
How much does Singletary have to do with this..?

Last edited:

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
I recall, prior to the draft this year, there being a segment where Crabtree was at someones home surrounded by lots of friends, his agent, and a host of ex NFL'ers including The great one (Jerry Rice).

You have to wonder what exactly was injected into this kids head at that moment in time. Having heard all thru his time at Tech how great he was, two-time Belitnikoff winner........he thought it should all come to him on a platter. The Raiders taking Howard-Bey really set him off because he felt he was better. But thinking/being better doesnt factor into pay scale when it comes to contracts and this jerk isnt gonna redefine how contracts are done. If you allow him to do this, others will attempt this move in the future.

Cant let this kid win under no circumstances. Singletary is just the coach that can break his butt down and let him know "yeah youre special, but this aint college anymore...this is the NFL, where everyone who played at a college was special..and youre no different."

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How much does Singletary have to do with this..?
none.
His quote from yesterday's press conference " I'm concerned with the players that are here. that player is over there."
Singletary has left the Michael Crabtree and the contract negotiation up to the 49ers FO.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
none.
His quote from yesterday's press conference " I'm concerned with the players that are here. that player is over there."
Singletary has left the Michael Crabtree and the contract negotiation up to the 49ers FO.

Gotta say, Singletary makes it very hard not to respect the 9ers... damn him!

:mulli:

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My question is, lets say they trade his rights for a second round pick at some point, how would that work in the negotiations? If I were the 49ers, I would trade him to a team like the Lions for their 2nd, which will be the 33 or 34th pick and he can rot over there.

They cannot trade him the deadline has passed. The 49r's hold his rights all the way to the next draft day. They cannot trade him. Crabtree cannot work out for any team or attend the combine. If not signed by week 10 then Crabtree cannot play at all this year and loses not only salary but a years tenure toward free agent status

Somebody is telling this kid wrong info. If he enters the draft next year again I believe he will not be drafted until late in the first round at the earliest. More likely a second rounder.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They cannot trade him the deadline has passed. The 49r's hold his rights all the way to the next draft day. They cannot trade him. Crabtree cannot work out for any team or attend the combine. If not signed by week 10 then Crabtree cannot play at all this year and loses not only salary but a years tenure toward free agent status

Somebody is telling this kid wrong info. If he enters the draft next year again I believe he will not be drafted until late in the first round at the earliest. More likely a second rounder.

I read somewhere that they could trade him between the end of the season and the draft.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize for this question as I'm sure it's been asked a million times -

If Crabtree sits out the entire season and re-enters the draft, which I think is going to happen, will the 49ers get a compensation pick in the 2010 draft or do they get nothing?

I hope they don't get compensation as it'll be great for the Cards (and rest of the NFC West). We won't have to worry about Crabtree and they miss out on a first round pick which is huge.

All that said, Crabtree's a moron and is making a huge mistake. Someone should have him call Mike Williams and Maurice Clarett to see how missing a year of football worked out for them

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05