A 100 Among Them?

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Cardinals, James hope to be the team to snap Steelers' defensive streak
By DARREN URBAN

You must be registered for see images

Cardinals running back Edgerrin James hopes to become the first man to run for 100 yards against the Steelers since 2005 -- when Edge did it for the Colts.

The Cardinals came into the season talking about a re-emphasis on their running defense, and so far – despite facing Frank Gore, Shaun Alexander and Willis McGahee – the Cards have not given up 100 yards to a back.

In fact, the Cards have not given up 100 yards to a back in eight straight games.

It’s a decent streak – but nothing like Pittsburgh has compiled.

The Steelers visit University of Phoenix Stadium Sunday having not allowed a 100-yard rusher in 24 straight games and only one over their past 47 games.

The last man to do it? Edgerrin James, who gained 124 yards on 29 carries on Nov. 28, 2005 when he was playing for the Colts.

“I had a feeling that would come up,” James said Thursday, before declining interviews.

James is sixth in the NFL (and second in the NFC) with 277 yards rushing, although he got just 10 rushing attempts in Baltimore last weekend because the Cardinals fell so far behind early. Trying to crack the current version of the Steel Curtain will not be easy; the Steelers are allowing less than 80 rushing yards a game – seventh in the NFL.

“They are very disciplined and good at their techniques so that makes it very tough to run the football against them,” said Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, who has often talked about the respect he has for Pittsburgh defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

“Edge is the last guy to get 100 yards against them. That is good I guess. Against these guys it is hard to run the football. You know that going in. Hopefully you can mix the run and the pass and get them a little bit off guard.”

Run defense will be at the forefront of the game. Steelers running back Willie Parker leads the NFL with 368 yards rushing and will test the Cards’ more modest defensive streak.

The Steelers, meanwhile, are aware of the list they have compiled. Only once since 2001 have the Steelers allowed on average more than 89 rushing yards a game for a season.

“It’s a big deal because it’s important for us to win football games,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “They don’t spend a lot of time talking about the streak. They spend a lot of time talking about making things one-dimensional and getting after featured backs. Of course, Arizona has a great one.”

That “great one” wasn’t talking, except to make a brief promise.

“I’ll be there on Sunday,” James said.

A STEEL NATION INVADES

When Tomlin was coaching in Tampa Bay in 2001, the Steelers visited the Buccaneers. That was when Tomlin understood the depth of the Steeler fan base.

“It felt like a neutral site because there were so many Steelers fans in the stands,” Tomlin said.

Now, Tomlin gets the benefit of the Steeler Nation as Pittsburgh’s head coach. And Whisenhunt, who lived it as a Steelers’ assistant coach the past six seasons, is waiting to see how the crowd plays out Sunday in Glendale.

“There will be a number of Steelers fans there. I understand that,” Whisenhunt said. “I was with those guys a long time and I had seen that. But I am excited what I saw against Seattle (in the Cards’ home opener) and the crowd and the noise they made and I hope there will be a big contingent again this week.”

Q STILL SITS

Receiver Anquan Boldin remained out with a bad hip, but Whisenhunt said Boldin was “significantly better” than he had been Wednesday and his status for Sunday’s game would likely be determined Friday.

Center Al Johnson, who had not done anything since spraining his knee in the Monday night opener Sept. 10, not only returned to practice but did everything. Nevertheless Whisenhunt said Johnson’s status as the starter has not yet been determined.

Tackle Levi Brown pushed himself in individual drills but was kept out of the end of the workout. His status will also be reevaluated Friday.

For the Steelers, receiver Hines Ward missed practice again.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1946

Reaction score
It would be very cool for James to go over 100 on Sunday!!!

To me this week is the biggest game so far in the new stadium and perhaps the biggest game since the '98 season!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be very cool for James to go over 100 on Sunday!!!

To me this week is the biggest game so far in the new stadium and perhaps the biggest game since the '98 season!

If he gets a 100, it's hard for me to see how we lose.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I agree. If Edge gets 100, we definitely will win but I just don't see it happenning... 100 yards rushing that is, not the win. We may still win though.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
A STEEL NATION INVADES

When Tomlin was coaching in Tampa Bay in 2001, the Steelers visited the Buccaneers. That was when Tomlin understood the depth of the Steeler fan base.

“It felt like a neutral site because there were so many Steelers fans in the stands,” Tomlin said.

Now, Tomlin gets the benefit of the Steeler Nation as Pittsburgh’s head coach. And Whisenhunt, who lived it as a Steelers’ assistant coach the past six seasons, is waiting to see how the crowd plays out Sunday in Glendale.

“There will be a number of Steelers fans there. I understand that,” Whisenhunt said. “I was with those guys a long time and I had seen that. But I am excited what I saw against Seattle (in the Cards’ home opener) and the crowd and the noise they made and I hope there will be a big contingent again this week.”
Hopefully only in the nosebleeders...there better be a 3 to 1 ratio of Red Shrits in the Crowd...This is Q's HOUSE!!!

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
um...
The Cardinals seem to have a true loyal fan base of about 30K.
There's a few 1000 seats held by ticket agencies - the Steeler fans will outbid for those.

There's a lot of local Steeler fans that support the Cardinals - until they play the Steelers.

There's a bunch of lame "fans" that sell a portion of their tickets to pay for the season.

It'll be 1/2 and 1/2 - lots of those stupid yellow towels - anybody got a cool idea of how to mock those - maybe a yellow towel with a big "NO" symbol drawn or painted on it?

Reaction score
It'll be 1/2 and 1/2 - lots of those stupid yellow towels - anybody got a cool idea of how to mock those - maybe a yellow towel with a big "NO" symbol drawn or painted on it?
Just grab the towel out of their hand, stick it inside your pants, wipe your butt with it, and hand it back to them! :)

amwreck

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't really think 100 yards is a good benchmark against the Steelers to mark a good running game. Without actually going through the stats, I'd say 80-85 yards is a good benchmark for a good game against the Steelers. Even though we didn't allow any 100 yard rushers last year, we still went 8-8, so it's not necessary to gain 100 against the Steelers. It's just a statement that teams with better air attacks and, more importantly, strong defenses are the ones that beat us. The Cards are going to run the ball tomorrow. That is guaranteed. I don't expect that Whiz will allow them to give up on the run because he'll want to keep the Steelers blitz in check. The key is to stick with it even if you are only gaining three yards a carry. The passing game will have to be successful though and the defense has to step up.