A Better Head Coach?

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't understand the fascination with Fisher. He's a pretty good coach but his credentials are probably less than Green's were when he was hired and people griped about Denny.Fisher has the one Super Bowl appearance but, other than that, his record isn't overwhelming. In fact, he has been on the verge,much like Green, of being fired a few times but his team rallied and saved his job. He could turn to be a great hire if it would happen but he is, by no means, a slam dunk to be successful. I think alot of people are assuming Green is going to be gone. I'm not so sure. If Leinart performs like alot of us expect and shows signs of being able to turn it around then i think DG will buy himself another year. I don't necessarily agree with it but i think that well may be the case. One thing about Bidwill, and some say it's cheapness so he doesn't have to pay a buyout, is that he usually let's a coach hang around than what is expected. It all depends on who Michael Bidwill supports and thinks is better for the franchise, Green or Graves. I see one of them being let go and the other staying on.

Why wouldn't they both be let go? Who would you choose for a HC as asked in the original question?

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd rather look for a different offensive coordinator.

Denny Green is not the one calling the plays.

Look at the total lack of discipline and execution. Look at the odd personnel moves. Look at the questionable coaching hires.

This teams troubles come from the Head coach.

Yeah, I want Jeff Fisher....a guy who has lost control of his team and has actually made them worse than us!

I don't see how Fisher had anything to do with getting rid of two starting QBs or drafting a questionable rookie. I also don't see how you can blame him for letting the core of his playoff teams go.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Jeff Fisher doesn't excite me at all his teams have always played boring football and his record is just above average.

Plus any guy that thinks Dave McGinnis is a good coach isn't high on my list.

I'd rather take Norm Chow off his staff than give the job to Fisher. I'd rather promote a guy who deserves it than give it to a retread....unless that retreads name is Belichek or Parcells.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they both be let go? Who would you choose for a HC as asked in the original question?

I just think one of them survives and one goes. I'm just basing on a gut feeling. The last time, and only time i can remember, the Cards totally cleaned house was with Buddy Ryan and that didn't work out. For some unknown reason the Cards like continuity even if it's in a bad way.Plus, i don't think Bidwill likes firing people and not only because of monetary reasons. If Green does go then the HC i'd like to see is Ron Rivera from Chicago. That Bears defense plays hard every game and he was a former successful player that is well regarded in the coaching circles.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just think one of them survives and one goes. I'm just basing on a gut feeling. The last time, and only time i can remember, the Cards totally cleaned house was with Buddy Ryan and that didn't work out. For some unknown reason the Cards like continuity even if it's in a bad way.Plus, i don't think Bidwill likes firing people and not only because of monetary reasons. If Green does go then the HC i'd like to see is Ron Rivera from Chicago. That Bears defense plays hard every game and he was a former successful player that is well regarded in the coaching circles.

Rivera is an interesting choice. Bill likes hiring from the Bears too. As far as Bill disliking the task of firing people that is kind of mixed maybe? He did simply change the locks on Coryell instead of calling him personally and letting him know but didn't he fire Ryan like an hour after the last game of the season?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I mentioned Rivera to Russ several days ago. He will be a HC in this league sometime very soon, it is just a matter of where.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Buddy Ryan is the only one I remember who was really fired with more than a year remaining on his contract. It seemed like Tobin was fired with about 6 games remaining in the season and Dave Mcginnis was just not resigned to an extension. I can't really remember Bugel or Stallings though.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Buddy Ryan is the only one I remember who was really fired with more than a year remaining on his contract. It seemed like Tobin was fired with about 6 games remaining in the season and Dave Mcginnis was just not resigned to an extension. I can't really remember Bugel or Stallings though.

Stallings "resigned" after 11 games in 1989. Buges was let go after the season.