A look at the Diamondbacks financial commitments

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or more accurately titled, “why the Diamondbacks probably won’t re-sign Hudson.”

Sorry to make this so lengthy, I hope at least one person finds it useful or interesting.

Given the recent speculation over Orlando Hudson’s immanent free agent status as well the money potentially coming off the team’s books, now is probably a decent time to take a look at what kind of money the Diamondbacks are currently committed to as well as the ones that they could be in the near future. First off is some good news. We can reasonably deduce that Arizona will have the financial means to re-sign several key players over the next few years. The bad news is that Hudson probably won’t be one of them.

At least one big contract is finally off the team’s hands this winter. I suspect that several people are going to want to shoot me for even mentioning this name, but Russ Ortiz and his $8.5M salary in 2008 will be officially gone forever. As has been mentioned before, Randy Johnson is also out of a contract beginning once we reach November. However, due to the deferred money involved, that situation is significantly more convoluted. As far as can be discerned, he will be owed at least $4M in both 2009 and 2010 whether he is pitching for the Diamondbacks or not as part of his signing bonus given when he was traded back to Arizona. That is not the only deferred money he is due to receive, but it seems that it is the Yankees who are paying him that money owed for 2005 and 2006. However, he was also at one time owed at least $6M per year for the years 1999-2004, and it isn’t publicly known how much of that the Diamondbacks have already paid. Of course, Johnson could potentially even re-sign for one more year with Arizona (say what you will about his age, but he is still a capable fifth starter and even fifth starters are ridiculously expensive to replace if done so externally), but its safe to say if that does occur it won’t be for anything close to the $10M (salary only) he is currently making.

On that subject, Curt Schilling and Luis Gonzalez (as well as several others) both also at one time was owed deferred money, but details on how much (if any) is still due are not available as far as I have been able to find. Schilling was owed $5M per year for 2002 and 2003, but some of that might have been transferred to the Red Sox when they negotiated his extension in late 2003. A few years ago, the East Valley Tribune ran a rather candid interview with Ken Kendrick regarding the financial plan going forward for the Diamondbacks. Unfortunately, I have not been able to dig up this interview again, but from what I can remember, the idea was to slowly increase the payroll by about $5M per season (which they have been, in fact the payroll increased by about $12M from last season) while paying out the deferred contracts as quickly as possible. That way, the deferred money would be done away with right in time to extend those youngsters who have earned raises.

As I said in the opener, due to expiring costs in both current contracts and money owed, the Diamondbacks have the flexibility to re-sign their core players. With the money committed currently, Arizona would not have a problem with paying Hudson for 2009, the concern lies elsewhere. That is to say, one issue looms large – both Brandon Webb and Dan Haren are scheduled to become UFAs after the 2010 season (strictly speaking, 2010 for both is a club option, but barring catastrophic injury those will obviously be picked up). The framework for possible Webb/Haren extensions has almost undoubtedly been set by the extension signed by Jake Peavy last December. Peavy’s new contract is worth a total of $48M over 2010-2012 with a $22M club option in 2013. If both are given similar contracts, then roughly $30M will be tied up between two players in 2011. In other words, if Hudson wants to stay, a two or maybe three year contract is probably the best he can hope for here, especially if he is looking for eight figures a year. Plus, some other team would probably be willing to give him at least four years on the open market. A bright spot in this is that Eric Byrnes and his $11M (2010 salary) will be over just in time for the possible Webb/Haren extensions to kick in. It should be noted that Doug Davis is also reaching UFA status at the end of 2009.

On other fronts, Lyon and Cruz are potential UFAs at the end of this season. Given the recent bullpen performance, that could be disaster. Also, Chris Snyder and Conor Jackson are RFAs at the end of this season (among a handful of others), with Jackson set to receive a nice boost in pay.

Major Salary Commitments for 2009 (does not include those with deferred money):
Eric Byrnes ($11M)
Doug Davis ($8.75M)
Brandon Webb ($6.5M)
Dan Haren ($5.5M)
Chad Tracy ($4.75M)
Chris Young ($1.75M)
Stephen Drew ($1.5M)
Justin Upton ($1.3M)
Max Scherzer ($1-1.5M)

That is a total of $42M for those nine players. The team is currently spending about $66M total this year, which should rise some for 2009.

RFAs: Jackson, Snyder, Qualls, Ojeda, Burke
UFAs: Johnson, Lyon, Cruz, Clark, Hudson
On cheap rookie contracts: Reynolds, Owings, Slaten, Romero, Montero, various relievers

*an edit will probably be coming, I might have missed a detail or two

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I appreciate seeing all of this information. It is helpful. I am in the resign Hudson ASAP camp. I think he's a great veteran building block for a team.. and we need that presence.

After this season we have a lot of free agents, but lets look at them...

RFAs: Jackson, Snyder, Qualls, Ojeda, Burke
UFAs: Johnson, Lyon, Cruz, Clark, Hudson

(your list)

We need to keep Jackson happy obviously... Snyder QUalls and Ojeda would be nice, but I don't think break our bank.

Johnson, if he resigns, won't be for nearly what he's making so could be a big savings. Lyon will get a good chunk of money somewhere. He's a quality closer and I hope he stays. He may not be top tier, but he's 2nd tier and there aren't that many out there. Cruz would be great to resign, but will likely get a chance to close somewhere and he might take that chance if the money is close.

Clark is Clark. Sign him or not, he won't break the bank.

Hudson is the key. TO me, he is the 3rd most important signing we are facing. Jackson #1, Lyon #2 and Hudson #3. He might even be #2 ahead of Lyon. Plus, if you factor in money saved this off-season and the fact he might be more important than Lyon, I would like to lock him up.

I'm a bit sick at how much Davis is going to make. He's a decent starter, but shoudn't be getting that type of money.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
Hudson is the key. TO me, he is the 3rd most important signing we are facing. Jackson #1, Lyon #2 and Hudson #3.

I'd bump Hudson up to #1 because Jackson is a RFA. I have a feeling if Lyon finishes the season strong he might get priced out of our range. With Scherzer in the mix, I think it make Lyon expendable.

Good thread, I've been wondering where the Diamondbacks salaries stood at.

oh, and thanks for bring up Ortiz's name.......:barf:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Lyon will get a good chunk of money somewhere. He's a quality closer and I hope he stays. He may not be top tier, but he's 2nd tier and there aren't that many out there.

Lyon is not a quality closer, he's a quality set-up guy, and he won't get closer money, IMO. Cruz is more valuable to us.
If I was Conor Jackson, I'm not interested in staying here -- I'd go someplace they stop treating me like the least valuable position player.

A good catcher with an acceptable bat will be worth dough, so I think Snyder will command some higher money than you think.
We won't resign Davis.

We won't, and shouldn't, give Orlando more than a 2 year deal.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A 3.86 era and 20 saves is really pretty respectable. I'd say he's a 2nd tier closer. I don't think he's irreplacable though. The new guy from Washingon, or Cruz or Sherzer could all possibly fight for his job.

You're probably right about Snyder.

Lyon will get a good chunk of money somewhere. He's a quality closer and I hope he stays. He may not be top tier, but he's 2nd tier and there aren't that many out there.

Lyon is not a quality closer, he's a quality set-up guy, and he won't get closer money, IMO. Cruz is more valuable to us.
If I was Conor Jackson, I'm not interested in staying here -- I'd go someplace they stop treating me like the least valuable position player.

A good catcher with an acceptable bat will be worth dough, so I think Snyder will command some higher money than you think.
We won't resign Davis.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The new guy from Washingon, or Cruz or Sherzer could all possibly fight for his job.
Jon Rauch, the new guy from Washington, was brought here as a band-aid this season . . . and to be our closer next season. I have no doubt. And using Scherzer as anything but a starter is cheating the team of his potential and risking repeated injury.

John Rauch will be 30 in September. At 6'11" - 290, he should spend the off-season as the Suns #3 Center. Then give him a week off after the Suns win the NBA championship, a couple weeks of rehab and slide him to our closer spot. :)

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haren's new contract:
2009 $7.5M
2010 $8.25M
2011 $12.75M
2012 $12.75M
2013 $15.5M (team option)

Those are the numbers according to the Diamondbacks website, SI had them at a little lower. That is just an outstanding deal, Cy Young candidates go for a whole lot more than $12.75M per year on the open market. Just watch the craziness that will happen this summer when Sabathia hits free agency. As for Webb, he says that he agreed with the Diamondbacks over both the years and money before deciding to cool the negotiations until the offseason over a few details. I know that he had previously said that the talks were distracting him too much so he wanted to wait until the season was over. Suffice to say, it doesn't seem like they will have too much difficulty getting a deal done.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...t_id=3261609&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

We won't resign Davis.

:(

I'm going to go hang myself after reading this post. How depressing.

Lyon will get closer money even tough he shouldn't. Have you looked at they types of deal pitchers with BAD money get?

Conor loves it here. From your tone the past two years tts you who hates the Dbacks and their coaching staff not the players. So I think thats an easy RFA sign and a no brainer IMO.

No way Hudson will take less then three years and will probably get four from the Mets. I don't want have his defense and leadership leave but thats what happens when you listen to the fans and give money to the wrong guy. With Reynolds moving to second we should be okay provided we make a play for a 3rd baseman.

A agree about Snyder. But thats all your getting;)

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Well because of Byrnes, we most likely wont be keeping Hudson. I wold of rather had Hudson over Byrnes, but thats not the way it worked out. Good to see some of the deferred money almost being done whilst we still have more to pay out. Glad we resigned Haren. Now we just need to get Webb signed.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We have one, his name is Tracy. Move CoJack back to 1B and HOPEFULLY, Byrnes can return to form next year in LF. That would save us BIG dough to lock up Cruz, Snyder and some youngsters.

Put a .209 hitting, wild swinging showboat back in LF; to move our best overall hitter back to a position he is uncomfortable at (1B, affecting both his fielding and hitting); and move a good hitter who gets by at 1B to be a sub-par fielder at 3B.

All to accomodate Eric Byrnes?

Let's go back to the drawing board.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, if we can't keep Hudson next year, it might be a good idea to move our RBI leader from 3B to 2B. Throws across the infield are the bulk of Reynolds' league leading errors, and he has played 2B.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's too bad that playing Conor at 1B or Tracy at 3B are not good moves. Otherwise, your suggestions might be have been a good solution to the problem of what to do with Eric Byrnes.