A possible QBOF: J.P. Losman?

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Meetings notebook: Bills looking to deal Losman

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
March 29, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. – Teams in search of a quarterback on the trade market could be in line for yet another young talent in the coming weeks: J.P. Losman.

Two league sources indicated Tuesday that Losman hasn't gained the confidence of the Buffalo Bills' new regime. Both sources expect the team to put the former first-round pick on the trade block before the start of the 2006 season – if he isn't already there.

Bills general manager Marv Levy declared the quarterback position an open race last week after signing Craig Nall to a three-year contract, and it was widely believed the former Green Bay Packers reserve QB would compete with Losman for starting duties. But one personnel man familiar with the situation said he expects Levy to put out trade feelers for Losman in the coming weeks.

"I think it's going to be something that boils down to Nall as the No. 1 and (Kelly) Holcomb as the backup," he said. "If you went through the locker room and people were honest, (there would be) a lot of people who aren't sold on Losman as a leader."

When asked if Losman could still win the support of Levy and teammates in the coming weeks, the source painted the situation as "doubtful."

The biggest advocates of (Losman as a starter) are gone, but he's still a guy who has trade value," he said. "If Nall ends up being the starter and Holcomb is a solid backup you can rely on, why would you have Losman sitting at the bottom (of the depth chart) when you can still get something out there for him?"

The advocates that were mentioned are ex-general manager Tom Donahoe and ex-head coach Mike Mularkey. Interestingly, Mularkey is now the offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins – a team that is actively seeking a backup quarterback and exploring a possible trade for the Detroit Lions' Joey Harrington. However, the Dolphins also are looking for a veteran backup who has a generous amount of starting experience, and Losman doesn't seem to fit the profile.

If there is any inclination to move Losman, the Bills haven't shown it publicly – outside of bringing Nall in to vie for starting honors. New head coach Dick Jauron has been supportive and complimentary of Losman so far, and said Tuesday he's hoping Nall's acquisition will spur some healthy competition.

"(Losman has) had two years now to develop," Jauron said. "He had to play a lot last year. It was thrown on him early. It was a difficult situation to be in for a young guy. So he's got a real chance (to improve in his third year). He's got all that physical talent. He can run. He's got a strong arm. He's a smart guy. He's not afraid to work. He's got a lot of upside to him. We've got to give him a chance to get it out. Hopefully those other guys competing will force the hand a little bit and make them all better."

"(Nall) obviously doesn't have a lot of playing time. But when he's played he's performed well. He's been accurate with the football. He's a good decision maker. He's got experience. We're not teaching the guy how to play. All he has to do is transfer information. He should be able to step up and compete. He's got good size (6-foot-3, 230 pounds). I like his size – his height in the pocket. I like his demeanor. I like the way he handled himself in interviews. He's a very competitive guy. He believes he can be a starter and should be a starter."
I think he'd be real solid here. This isn't the first time I've heard about the rumor, but the first article I've seen on it.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
No. Combine McCown's marginal talent with Jeff Blake's crappy attitude and you have J.P. Losman.

Well said. Remember how happy the Bills were when they traded back into the first to get him?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
The guy is a complete jerk with a cocky attitude to boot. His teammates do not like the guy and neither did the last coaching regime.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would say no due to the attitude factor. We have good team chemistry right now and bringing in a young immature QB wouldn't improve that. Could he flourish with a change of scenery...possibly, but I wouldn't be the guy to take that chance.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
As many others have stated, this guy needs a serious reality check.

He's got tremendous talent, but in a league where teams are starving for young QBs to groom, the fact that Buffalo's shopping him around outta tell him something.

War Birds

Veteran
Reaction score
are you guys smoking crack.... J.P. Losman is a bad a.s.s - that would be tight if he came here. What has he gotten???? Half a season with crappy wide receivers in a basic offensive system in a windy city. Get this guy in here immediately

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
War Birds said:
are you guys smoking crack.... J.P. Losman is a bad a.s.s - that would be tight if he came here. What has he gotten???? Half a season with crappy wide receivers in a basic offensive system in a windy city. Get this guy in here immediately

Windy city?

Then what was his excuse when the team was at an away game.

Home -

Completion % - 50.4
TD's - 4
INT - 4
Yards per throw - 6.17

Away -

Completion % - 48.6
TD's - 4
INT - 4
Yards per throw - 5.52.

Under 50% for the year, and under 6 yards per throw is absolutley crap no matter how you want to slice it. Not even crappy WR's is a good enough excuse for that kind of performance.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
War Birds said:

It's not his talent that's in question. It's his piss poor attitude that make him a no go.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Chopper0080 said:
I would say no due to the attitude factor. We have good team chemistry right now and bringing in a young immature QB wouldn't improve that. Could he flourish with a change of scenery...possibly, but I wouldn't be the guy to take that chance.

Umm... aren't you the guy jocking Jay Cutler?

J.P. Losman is an a-hole. He's like the anti-Vince Young. No thanks.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
It's not his talent that's in question. It's his piss poor attitude that make him a no go.

I think its a combo of both.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a big no from me. first off the kid isn't that good, there's a reason Buffalo gave up on him already(if this report is true). Second, the kid is a primadonna and a headcase, there's a reason his teammates don't like him.

And I have never forgiven him for flaking on UCLA.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Nope. The guy is a complete and utter jerk and his entire team has alienated him. I don't want that guy anywhere near the Cardinal locker room.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
:barf: J.P. Losman sucks. To be honest, I see Cutler turning out the same way (performance, not attitude). Came from a rather small school and was mostly unheard of until the end of their senior year, or around the time of senior bowl/combine. Stay away

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Regardless of how you feel about JP, it makes an interesting arguement for the Bills to be taking Cutler or Young if available (we all know Leinart will be gone by #8 ).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The New England guy in the NFLNet promos who thinks Drew Rosenhaus is "money", couldn't pronounce "Roethlisburger ("nice pick Cowha") and plays a godawful banjo also "guaranteed" prior to last season that Losman would take Buffalo to the promised land.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
:barf: J.P. Losman sucks. To be honest, I see Cutler turning out the same way (performance, not attitude). Came from a rather small school and was mostly unheard of until the end of their senior year, or around the time of senior bowl/combine. Stay away

true of Cutler but with Losman you have to realize how he ended up at Tulane. Losman was the #1 recruit in California his senior year, one of the top QB prospects in the country, and UCLA's top recruit that year. He never even attended a practice, he showed up, found out he had to compete for the job, and bolted. He went to Tulane because he thought he could play faster there, and wound up backing up Patrick Ramsey first.

Believe me Losman could have gone ANYWHERE, out of HS, he was a totally different situation than Cutler who wasn't heavily recruited.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Umm... aren't you the guy jocking Jay Cutler?

J.P. Losman is an a-hole. He's like the anti-Vince Young. No thanks.
I'm jocking Cutler (and Young, to a degree), but I don't see how not wanting Losman (cocky, bad-attitude) negates an arguement for Cutler (well-liked, good leader).

:shrug:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I'm jocking Cutler (and Young, to a degree), but I don't see how not wanting Losman (cocky, bad-attitude) negates an arguement for Cutler (well-liked, good leader).

:shrug:

It had more to do with his comment about bringing in an immature QB to a veteran team. Why is that a concern with Losman but not a concern with Cutler? If you drafted a guy and he didn't want the #1 job, wouldn't you be concerned? I was never happy with McCown's quick relinquishing of the starting job. If you don't think you're the best option for the team to win, you probably don't have the confidence to win a lot of games.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
War Birds said:

I wouldn't exactly call Lee Evans and Eric Moulds crappy wide receivers. Losman had enough talent around him, but his poor attitude held him back.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I remember Sean Salsbury ranting about him the year he came out. He stated that Losman would be thee best QB in that year's draft. He just gushed and gushed about the kid.