A Tale of Two Quarterbacks

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Just heard that Kolb may have been injuried today when Carter pushed him down.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
@Cardschatter: QB Kevin Kolb left practice after taking a knee to his right thigh. He will be evaluated tonight. Walked off on his own. #CardsCamp

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Mitch, Where is Mcnulty in this? I was happy that Whiz lthe plug on Chris Miller it is as important as dropping Clancy and Davis? , but come on man,
Mike Miller and Mcnulty are having a poor showing?
and that is on Whiz! again, again, and again........

jeeperaz

Rookie
Reaction score
What Skelton Must Overcome To Win:

* the perception that he is doofy

Is Skelton 'doofy'? I admit, I believe he may be.

One of the things I read about him coming out of Fordham was that during his interviews by NFL scouts and personnel types, many said it was "like he wasn't all there, aloof and distant". This has stuck with me since then and now it's what I see in him.

Is he cool & collected or indifferent? Does he have fire/passion in him or is it just that he is reserved?

I look for expression but rarely see anything. I read his tweets and quite frankly the guy is a bit of a bore. I don't know what to make of him. Perhaps he is just young and will grow into a stronger personality. If he can win games I guess it doesnt matter if he is a dullard.

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch (as usual amigo), I do like Kolb in this hunt but both dogs are cool with me. Neither is a lock but both can do it...I think. A better gameplan around them utilizing the double TE set and actually using the running game (with the FB) to accompany the Defense's progress, it could happen.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Ken Whisenhunt did a fine job developing Kurt Warner! Cough-cough

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

One of the things I read about him coming out of Fordham was that during his interviews by NFL scouts and personnel types, many said it was "like he wasn't all there, aloof and distant". This has stuck with me since then and now it's what I see in him.

Is he cool & collected or indifferent? Does he have fire/passion in him or is it just that he is reserved?

I look for expression but rarely see anything. I read his tweets and quite frankly the guy is a bit of a bore. I don't know what to make of him. Perhaps he is just young and will grow into a stronger personality. If he can win games I guess it doesnt matter if he is a dullard.

What is really troubling for Cards fans is that it was just a few days ago that there was a report that people inside the Card org. That felt Kolb wasn't "engaged intellectually". Didn't have the desire to put in the work to be great. So who are the top QBs for the 2013 draft. :(

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It would be very interesting to know what both Kolb and Skelton are thinking right now.

In Kolb's case---he knows he's on the hot seat---he also knows he is potentially one hit away from hanging up the cleats. As Duck reported, there were rumblings from the Cardinals' coaches (whether they are true or not) that Kolb is not as "intellectually engaged" as they would prefer...which makes it all the more curious as to why they paid Kolb the $7M. It almost feels like the coaches did it out of desperation---in that they still don't know what to make of Skelton---and once Manning was out of the picture, they didn't see a more attractive alternative.

In Skelton's case---the coaches clearly are concerned about his ability to execute their base package of passing plays. Skelton is at his best late in games because they can go into the spread and start chucking it, up-tempo style.

The question is---why is the base package of passing plays so difficult for QBs (other than Warner) to execute? The likely answer is that these plays require exact timing and precision...and what Warner gave them---ice water veins to stand in the pocket and wait for the exact moment the WR gets three inches of separation. For Kolb and Skelton, when one adds pressure to spoil the timing, what we have seen is panic on Kolb's part and indecision on Skelton's.

Whisenhunt has been saying he's seeing good progress from both QBs. But---one has to really wonder what he is actually thinking.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
suprised people can measure intelligence just by looking at a guy on a football field, you should be in some scientific research lab or something.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, Where is Mcnulty in this? I was happy that Whiz lthe plug on Chris Miller it is as important as dropping Clancy and Davis? , but come on man,
Mike Miller and Mcnulty are having a poor showing?
and that is on Whiz! again, again, and again........

The coaches chose to pay Kolb the $7M---now they need to show they can coach him up. McNulty is supposed to be a main factor as QB coach---and of course Miller is calling the plays and repping those plays in practice. Apparently, Miller is being much more vocal this year, THESMEL. They wanted this QB competition---and it's a hot topic because if the Cardinals struggle, the majority of the blame will go to the QB---but man, as you suggest, how culpable should the offensive coaches be? No one can blame QB's struggles on the off-season this time around.

I read something very interesting the other day---Charlie Weis was saying that if he were still an offensive coordinator in the NFL, he said he is 100% sure that he could run a highly productive offense with Brady Quinn at QB. Sure, this may have caused some readers to let out a good guffaw.

But, as a coach (now retired from coaching), I know where Weis is coming from. It's all about fitting the system to the QB's strengths---and all about building the QB's confidence and his teammates' confidence in him. Is Brady Quinn talented enough to win in the NFL? Well, if Jake Delhomme was, why not Quinn? The point is this---the way you coach your QB is much different than the way you coach the players at other positions. Look at how closely Todd Haley worked with Kurt Warner---there was a kinship there---sure, at times they were at each other's throats, but that's actually a good thing because they both were holding each other accountable. But---a QB needs to be nurtured and surrounded with key people who manifest ingenuous belief in the player.

I know you liked Matt Leinart---but, let's face it, Ken Whisenhunt NEVER manifested an ingenuous, sincere belief in Leinart---to the point where he didn't even give Leinart a chance to play when it was supposedly his time to play.

At least Kolb is getting his time to play---but don't you get the feeling that the coaches do not believe in Kolb? Or Skelton? Or Bartel?

What one has to wonder is---these were three QBs the coaches researched, watched tapes of, coveted and then brought in---so what does it mean when deep down inside none of the coaches are confident in any of the QBs? How much are the players to blame?

In Seattle, Pete Carroll, the coaches and the FO are gushing about Russell Wilson---they can't seem to contain their excitement about this kid---which is one of the major reasons why, imo, he will eventually wind up winning the job and, imo, he is going to play very well---because Carroll and the organization will maintain their belief in him, especially when he goes through some early struggles, as ALL young NFL QBs do. The Seahawks will maintain the faith in him.

It's been three years since Warner retired---have we heard Whisenhunt ever gush about one of his QBs? The most notable thing Whisenhunt has said in the past two years about his QBs: "I am not comfortable with any of our QBs."

And just how comfortable are the QBs in Whisenhunt's system?

To be continued...

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good analysis Mitch, my worry is this statement from you at then end:

Will we be looking for a new starter again next year?

I think we will.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I was the same way until I banged a couple high dollar models for free (in the same night), those highlites in one's life can do miracles for the easy stream ego. Skelton came from a smart school, I think it's kinda the way it usually is for a 6 rounder, he's lucky he has gotten all that playing time. Plays like Teebow but doesn't command the attention Teebow lives off of. If he gets playing time this year, he needs to get the confidence up, and start the game the way he finishes.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I was the same way until I banged a couple high dollar models for free (in the same night), those highlites in one's life can do miracles for the easy stream ego. Skelton came from a smart school, I think it's kinda the way it usually is for a 6 rounder, he's lucky he has gotten all that playing time. Plays like Teebow but doesn't command the attention Teebow lives off of. If he gets playing time this year, he needs to get the confidence up, and start the game the way he finishes.

I don't think anyone questions Skelton's intelligence. His demeanor is kind of laid-back...but then again, most of time, so is Aaron Rodgers'.

Skelton has the big arm that Tebow lacks...but as you suggest, dawg, but Skelton lacks Tebow's charisma.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

must have been a commission month :)

meh you said for free, guess that kills the fun of my you paid for it joke.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone questions Skelton's intelligence. His demeanor is kind of laid-back...but then again, most of time, so is Aaron Rodgers'.

Skelton has the big arm that Tebow lacks...but as you suggest, dawg, but Skelton lacks Tebow's charisma.

his unphazed mentality can be good and bad, noone will ever know until he has more opportunity.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mitch... Fantastic... Like it even more than reading Dickens :)

Early

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

I've got a feeling 2013 will be another new beginning for Wiz & Co. I really don't think there's a chance in Hell either Kolb or Skelton can lead this team to a Super Bowl, which is exactly why I would've been all in for Luck or RGIII...draft picks & all. If this team is as close as many believe, we have to roll the dice next year to get that franchise QB, if they believe Barkley, Wilson or another QB is that guy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I want to hang out with you very much. Two A-plus posts in as many days.

My brother rolls with Skelton's NAU girlfriend (or at least the one from last camp). I should ask him about Skelton's intellect.