Advice on Apple laptops?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We want to get an Apple laptop so it will be easier and so she can use the movie app from the phone on Lucy's laptop, apparently it comes free too(iMovie I think it's called) to edit stuff for youtube.

We went to Best Buy to look, we live so close to Cupertino you'd think there'd be Apple stores all over the place but there aren't. There's one in Valley Fair that's mainly by appointment, but when we looked into that they actually don't have much more stock than Best Buy did, and Best Buy had only 3 laptops in stock.

We think we want 1024 memory, 13 inch screen is probably enough. No real preference but I guess SSD preferred. I know virtually nothing about Macs I assume we're looking at MacBooks and MacBook air. Does anybody have any recommendations? We want something she can use both for video editing and of course as a regular laptop.

Amazon has a bunch of them but many of them are refurbished. We're probably going to make an appointment to go to the Valley Fair store but it seems like they're more geared for iPhones and other stuff they don't seem to be all that focused on helping you find a laptop.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears Walmart may carry Apple computers, at least online.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears Walmart may carry Apple computers, at least online.

They do online but they have very little in store. Lucy wants to see it first.

In doing research it seems like we may only need 512 on the hard drive, everyone is saying if you're going to do You Tube just get an external drive, which I already have.
The key is apparently RAM, lots of people saying get 32 you'll see a big difference on video editing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do online but they have very little in store. Lucy wants to see it first.

In doing research it seems like we may only need 512 on the hard drive, everyone is saying if you're going to do You Tube just get an external drive, which I already have.
The key is apparently RAM, lots of people saying get 32 you'll see a big difference on video editing.

I'm not much into video editing, although I would like an easy-to-use program to edit family photos that are losing color.

If you have any suggestions for that, I'd welcome it. I'm a rookie at this... beginner level.

One of the reasons I buy at Walmart, also online, is they usually have a return policy where you can return it to a physical store if you don't like a product.

Devilmaycare

King of Technicalities
Reaction score
We want to get an Apple laptop so it will be easier and so she can use the movie app from the phone on Lucy's laptop, apparently it comes free too(iMovie I think it's called) to edit stuff for youtube.

We went to Best Buy to look, we live so close to Cupertino you'd think there'd be Apple stores all over the place but there aren't. There's one in Valley Fair that's mainly by appointment, but when we looked into that they actually don't have much more stock than Best Buy did, and Best Buy had only 3 laptops in stock.

We think we want 1024 memory, 13 inch screen is probably enough. No real preference but I guess SSD preferred. I know virtually nothing about Macs I assume we're looking at MacBooks and MacBook air. Does anybody have any recommendations? We want something she can use both for video editing and of course as a regular laptop.

Amazon has a bunch of them but many of them are refurbished. We're probably going to make an appointment to go to the Valley Fair store but it seems like they're more geared for iPhones and other stuff they don't seem to be all that focused on helping you find a laptop.
I wouldn't bother with Best Buy or Amazon. Hit the Apple Store, they focus a little more on the iphones and ipads but they'll be able to help you. Usually you want to go there or order from Apple since you can configure the machines. The other retailers usually only have a couple configurations.

I'm not sure what you mean by 1024 memory since they start at 8 GB and go up. Also all of the Macbooks are SSD. It's just a matter of which size you want. You've also going to want to get the M3 chip instead of the M2 if you go with the Air.

I'm making the assumption that video editing is going to be on the lighter side, ie more of a hobbyist use than pro. From what you said I'd go with one of these two options:
13" MacBook Air, M3 chip, 16GB memory, 1TB SSD. $1699
14" Macbook, M3, 16GB memory, 1 TB SSD. $1999

As a base. If you have the budget more memory or storage wouldn't hurt with bumping memory first out of the two. You can always add external drives but you can't add memory.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with Best Buy or Amazon. Hit the Apple Store, they focus a little more on the iphones and ipads but they'll be able to help you. Usually you want to go there or order from Apple since you can configure the machines. The other retailers usually only have a couple configurations.

I'm not sure what you mean by 1024 memory since they start at 8 GB and go up. Also all of the Macbooks are SSD. It's just a matter of which size you want. You've also going to want to get the M3 chip instead of the M2 if you go with the Air.

I'm making the assumption that video editing is going to be on the lighter side, ie more of a hobbyist use than pro. From what you said I'd go with one of these two options:
13" MacBook Air, M3 chip, 16GB memory, 1TB SSD. $1699
14" Macbook, M3, 16GB memory, 1 TB SSD. $1999

As a base. If you have the budget more memory or storage wouldn't hurt with bumping memory first out of the two. You can always add external drives but you can't add memory.

Sorry I meant the HD size I meant 1 TB .Yes I think we will probably be more interested in more memory and get external storage, I already have a few external drives for that very reason.

Thanks

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy from Walmart for the same reason as Best Buy. Lack of configuration. You're usually limited to only a couple options.

When I buy a laptop, I usually research what I want in it and then wait for a store to carry it at a reasonable price.

I've found Christmas is the best time of the year if one has the time to sit on computers and wait for deals. I'm not sure if that applies to Apple though.

Devilmaycare

King of Technicalities
Reaction score
When I buy a laptop, I usually research what I want in it and then wait for a store to carry it at a reasonable price.

I've found Christmas is the best time of the year if one has the time to sit on computers and wait for deals. I'm not sure if that applies to Apple though.
It really doesn't apply to Apple. Generally the stores have the same deals as Apple around the holidays. The bigger issue is that they don't have all of the options. How Apple's been doing their machines for a while now is that they have a base model that's the minimum processor, ram, HD, etc. and then allow you to select upgrades to those bases. It's a mini-build to order type of system.

Stores like Walmart usually only have the base models and maybe the first ram bump. Both of the configs I gave Russ aren't available at Walmart since they only carry the 512 GB SSD models with either 8 or 16 GB of ram.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Have you considered a mac mini? Not sure how much portability plays a factor here, but I've found my mini to be considerably less expensive than my pros and beastly in terms of power/specs.