Ainge accuses Cleveland of tanking season

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a pregame interview for KTAR Danny Ainge said, no less than four times, that Cleveland was trying to lose every game last year.

The comments came in a discussion about the trade with Cleveland that brought 3 new players to the Celtics.

I wouldn't have thought much of these comments last year. But that was because Danny was a color commentator.

Now, its a team GM publicly accusing another team of tanking an entire season ("they were trying to lose every game") on purpose, and doing it in a very public forum.

To me, this has to be addressed by the NBA office, because it goes to the integrity of the game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by JCSunsfan

To me, this has to be addressed by the NBA office, because it goes to the integrity of the game.

Since when does the game have "integrity"??

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Cleveland is bad every year. Did they have to lose an extra five games or something to land Lebron? I mean give them a break...What lousy team wouldn't have went for it when a local basketball prodigy comes on the market? And by having a lousy record they still wern't guaranteed Lebron...there still was the "chance factor" involved with the lottery balls.

They had it planned and took the chance...it worked. Good for them!

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think many teams could afford to tank a season.
I don't think many players would stand for it.
I don't think Clev tanked their season last year. They were BAD.
I don't think Danny Ainge can say much after what he's done with Boston.
I don't think Jim O'Brien will be coach for long.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cleveland unloaded some veteran players during last season that might have helped them win a few more games. Big deal, they were not going to win many.

What gets me is how the Spurs just HAPPENED to have bad seasons right before Robinson and Duncan hit the market. The Duncan acquisition was way too convenient.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the Cards board, there's plenty of people there that would probably root for the team to tank an entire season for a better draft spot. :rolleyes:

Ridiculous. :barf:

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
Cleveland unloaded some veteran players during last season that might have helped them win a few more games. Big deal, they were not going to win many.

What gets me is how the Spurs just HAPPENED to have bad seasons right before Robinson and Duncan hit the market. The Duncan acquisition was way too convenient.

Yeah thats more of a crime against humanity than anything the Cavs did. The Spurs were a good team that went bad versus the Cavs that went from bad to rotton. Not much difference on the Cavs part...

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
Check out the Cards board, there's plenty of people there that would probably root for the team to tank an entire season for a better draft spot. :rolleyes:

Ridiculous. :barf:

It's rediculous because the Cards "tank" every year and dont keep the talent they draft....just like the Clippers.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Cavs definately tanked in my opinion.

They traded Andre Miller for Darius Miles. Their first round pick hardly played at all.
Having an allstar center in the East and Ricky Davis plus Boozer and Miles they should have been much better than they were.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
The Cavs definately tanked in my opinion.

They traded Andre Miller for Darius Miles. Their first round pick hardly played at all.
Having an allstar center in the East and Ricky Davis plus Boozer and Miles they should have been much better than they were.

What about the Clippers then? I mean I just looking at the talent they should have been much, much better than they were last season. Did they tank it? I hardly think so. They just did not have good chemistry.

Do you really believe the Cavaliers wanted Wagner injured most of last season? They may have had some good players, but they didn't have much depth, and I think we can all agree that Miles was drastically overrated.

I don't think the Cleveland Cavaliers made any extraordinary efforts to win last year, but I wouldn't say they tanked last season. There are countless teams over the years but are guilty of doing that. Hack, even Ainge himself has said his main concern is not to win this season but to build a better team over the long run.

Joe Mama