RIP Al McCoy

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember when I moved to Arizona from New Jersey in 1982 and I thought Marv Albert was the best announcer. After listening to Al McCoy for all these years, I believe Al was the best. I think what made him different from the other announcers was when you listened to him, you could tell he loved what he was doing. Even during the bad years, he was always upbeat. Who didn't love it every time he said "Shazam!"? He wasn't arrogant and he never came across as bigger than the team. He was just one of us and that to me made him special. RIP Al!

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We didn't have cable growing up so if it was a home game, my dad and I would listen to every game in the living room on our big 1970s stereo cabinet in the early 90's. McCoy's voice was so magical on that stereo. Dad would lay down on his back on the floor probably just happy to have a couple hours to relax after work.

In the years after that, I would listen to McCoy in my room and will the Suns to victory by playing along on my nerf hoop.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the good fortune to meet him twice, although "meet him" is being generous. The first time was in 65 or 66 when Krux set up outside an anchor store at Thomas Mall to take advantage of all the back to school shopping. He and a few of "The Good Guys" (as the Krux DJ's were billed) were asking trivia questions and handing out prizes. The second time was when they were giving away the albums following the 76 finals loss where I was able to get signatures from some of the players, coaches, trainer and Al. I still have the album although it spent far too many years in my garage to ever be played again. Anyway, treasured memories but like every other Suns fan, wish we could have sent him off with at least one championship.

RIP Al, and thank you.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I remember my Luke AFB days. I always had eyes and ears on the suns games. I worked with a lot of suns fans that listened to Al on the radio. he was always fun and called the game like few others I've ever heard. RIP!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm crying as I type this. My childhood was defined by watching Channel 45 with Al and Cotton during the Barkley years. If the game was early enough there would be a dozen neighborhood kids at one of our houses on the street I grew up, all between 6 and 10 years old watching intently and then using the same calls he made on the playground court the next day.

Man, this sucks. Dont know who said before this is like losing your favorite grandpa all over again but that's how this feels. Tell those you care about how you feel and watch out for each other.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm crying as I type this. My childhood was defined by watching Channel 45 with Al and Cotton during the Barkley years. If the game was early enough there would be a dozen neighborhood kids at one of our houses on the street I grew up, all between 6 and 10 years old watching intently and then using the same calls he made on the playground court the next day.

Man, this sucks. Dont know who said before this is like losing your favorite grandpa all over again but that's how this feels. Tell those you care about how you feel and watch out for each other.

Truer words never spoken.