Al Johnson officially released

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this means the Cards will stop giving big money contracts to free agent centers.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this means the Cards will stop giving big money contracts to free agent centers.

Grutts was such bad luck, he completely improved the OL when we signed him, then he hurts his neck lifting weights and the OL collapsed without him.

There are some good C's available in the draft and Sendlein is doing a fairly solid job so I'd agree, no more pursuing free agent C's. I also wonder if we have anybody on the current roster who could be converted to a C? I know we tried that some with Wells. Just seems a lot of other NFL teams have success doing that.

hepcat

Reaction score
How is Nate Salley doing? I always liked him at OSU. I know he hurt his knee last year but i see he's on the 2 deep. Dan Connor is another guy you guys have that i was wondering about. I doesn't look like he's had any impact at all.

Salley is currently the backup to rookie FS Charles Godfrey. He has made a few special teams tackles, but for the most part he is just a backup. Dan Connor started off as the leader on special teams, making some big tackles in the first couple weeks, but I'm pretty sure he hurt his knee and he's now on IR. Hopefully next year he's back healthy and might push for a starting job over Diggs.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Al's got the case of 'sour grapes.' We all knew he was going to be released from IR and then he'd file a grievance. It's all about the $$$. He must have shown Russ Grimm that he doesn't have what it takes. I haven't seen Grimm give up on anyone till now. Al you must have ticked him off.

I trust Russ Grimm's judgement...if he let Al go...there's more to it than just the injury.

Bobcat

Reaction score
My thoughts: Sendlein is a good center.

I agree Vince56...!!! It is too bad that some people on this site are bad mouthing him. It is not his fault that he got hurt. This a business and the Cards management is now doing what good franchises have done in the past.

BOBCAT

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Grutts was such bad luck, he completely improved the OL when we signed him, then he hurts his neck lifting weights and the OL collapsed without him.

There are some good C's available in the draft and Sendlein is doing a fairly solid job so I'd agree, no more pursuing free agent C's. I also wonder if we have anybody on the current roster who could be converted to a C? I know we tried that some with Wells. Just seems a lot of other NFL teams have success doing that.

Agree 100%. The only year Gruttadauria was healthy was 2002. It is no surprise that is also the year the Cards averaged 4.4 yard per carry rushing and Shipp and Jones combined for over 1,300 yards.

Reaction score
Consider the source, but:

On local morning radio they were implying that Johnson wasn't happy with the outcome of his surgery, nor the "Cardinal's" doctors and may need yet another surgery.