Alcatraz (FOX)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alcatraz (FOX)

Cast: Sarah Jones, Jorge Garcia, Sam Neill, Parminder Nagra, Robert Forster, Santiago Cabrera and Jonny Coyne

Plot: When San Francisco Police Department Det. Rebecca Madsen (Jones) is assigned to a grisly homicide case, a fingerprint leads her to a shocking suspect: Jack Sylvane (guest star Jeffrey Pierce), a former Alcatraz inmate who died decades ago. Given her family history – both her grandfather and surrogate uncle, Ray Archer (Forster), were guards at the prison – Madsen’s interest is immediately piqued, and once the enigmatic, knows-everything-but-tells-nothing government agent Emerson Hause (Neill) tries to impede her investigation, she’s doggedly committed. Madsen turns to Alcatraz expert and comic book enthusiast, Dr. Diego "Doc" Soto (Garcia), to piece together the inexplicable sequence of events. The twosome discovers that Sylvane is not only alive, but he’s loose on the streets of San Francisco, leaving bodies in his wake. And strangely, he hasn’t aged a day since he was in Alcatraz, when the prison was ruled by the iron-fisted Warden Edwin James (Coyne) and the merciless Associate Warden E.B. Tiller (Jason Butler Harner).

Madsen and Soto reluctantly team with Agent Hauser and his technician, Lucy Banerjee (Nagra), to stop Sylvane’s vengeful killing spree. By delving into Alcatraz history, government cover-ups and Rebecca’s own heritage, the team will ultimately discover that Sylvane is only a small part of a much larger, more sinister present-day threat. For while he may be the first, it quickly becomes clear that Sylvane won’t be the last prisoner to reappear from Alcatraz.

Through the course of the investigation, Madsen and Soto will learn that Agent Hauser has known about the prison’s secret history and has been awaiting the prisoners’ return. Soto will witness his life’s work – the history of Alcatraz – come alive. Madsen will be forced to keep her supportive San Francisco cop fiancé, Jimmy Dickens (Cabrera), at arm’s length from the highly classified assignment as she sees everything she thought she knew about her family’s past shattered, all while fighting to keep the country safe from history’s most dangerous criminals.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=77654

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
"Alcatraz" is the latest series from executive producers J.J. Abrams and Elizabeth Sarnoff ("LOST," "Deadwood").

The same folks that bankrolled Deadwood and Lost? I'll give it a couple of episodes.

I wonder if Hurley will say "dude!" 4 time an episode?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The same folks that bankrolled Deadwood and Lost? I'll give it a couple of episodes.

I wonder if Hurley will say "dude!" 4 time an episode?

As long as we get more of the Deadwood goodness and less of the Lost crap, I'll be happy. Yes, that's right, I'm one of the few who thought Lost was crap.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
As long as we get more of the Deadwood goodness and less of the Lost crap, I'll be happy. Yes, that's right, I'm one of the few who thought Lost was crap.

Of the people I know that have seen Lost, it's about 50/50 in the love/hate categories.

You're not alone...I'm just not with you on this one! :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the people I know that have seen Lost, it's about 50/50 in the love/hate categories.

You're not alone...I'm just not with you on this one! :D

Maybe it's 50/50/50? Half the people love it, half the people hate it and the other half once loved it but grew to hate it. I'm in that group and fortunately mathematicians weren't allowed to join.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually really liked the pilot. It's very Lost like the music is right out of Lost so I hope it's not just Lost set in an abandoned prison, but I like the premise and the first show was quite good I thought.

Also love the female lead

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in that few, but I managed to watch three Lost episodes. I stopped watching Deadwood after the first.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually really liked the pilot. It's very Lost like the music is right out of Lost so I hope it's not just Lost set in an abandoned prison, but I like the premise and the first show was quite good I thought.

Also love the female lead

I agree on all counts. Was not sure if I liked her at first, but once her opening sceen was over, she was much better.

Stout

Reaction score
I am in that few, but I managed to watch three Lost episodes. I stopped watching Deadwood after the first.

:thud: Wow, you didn't like the Wire or Deadwood? Are you a chick or something?

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, that came out wrong. I meant to ask, are you a chick 'with bad taste' or something? :D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, that came out wrong. I meant to ask, are you a chick 'with bad taste' or something? :D

Ya, your taste is perfect. Clerks 2, Electric Boogaloo.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Whoa - how did The Wire get dragged into all of this? :shrug: :D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey hey hey, Clerks 2 was good...the other one, well, how dare you say that, sir...how dare you :D

MulliisjealousofNewcastleUnited :D
Not jealous, Arsenal will be fine. Clerks 2 was horrible. Kevin Smith would jump the shark if he wasn't so big. ;)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot you fair-weathered away from Sunderpuke and went to Arsenal :D As to your Clerks 2 comments...your dead.

I went to Arsenal when they were at the bottom of the table. And I also know someone who lives in London and is a gooner. He accepted my fandom. London rules!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know nothing about no Arsenal but so far, I like Alcatraz quite a bit.

Steve

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought it was ok, but that's about it. But if every episode is about catching another time-travelling inmate, won't this get repetitive and boring really soon, even with the bigger story arc slowly revealed? I just don't like the premise at the moment. It's a lot more like Fringe than Lost, imo, and that's not a good thing. I've only seen a few episodes of Fringe and I've already lost interest.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was ok, but that's about it. But if every episode is about catching another time-travelling inmate, won't this get repetitive and boring really soon, even with the bigger story arc slowly revealed? I just don't like the premise at the moment. It's a lot more like Fringe than Lost, imo, and that's not a good thing. I've only seen a few episodes of Fringe and I've already lost interest.

Well, there have been a lot of successful TV shows through the years that did nothing more than just catch the bad guy each week. With the added conspiracy (actually, it appears to be conspiracies) I see enough to keep me interested. For myself though, I'm hoping it's more like Alias than either Lost or Fringe.

Stout

Reaction score
I went to Arsenal when they were at the bottom of the table. And I also know someone who lives in London and is a gooner. He accepted my fandom. London rules!

Oh, when they were bottom table...what, 1, 2 games in? With all of their history of success? Big risk there :D Sunderland, that was the real chance taker. But, I can't blame you ditching the black kittens.

And London indeed rules.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there have been a lot of successful TV shows through the years that did nothing more than just catch the bad guy each week. With the added conspiracy (actually, it appears to be conspiracies) I see enough to keep me interested. For myself though, I'm hoping it's more like Alias than either Lost or Fringe.

Agreed so far it's interesting. The music is right out of Lost and obviously you've got Hurley, but it could well be more Alias given the angle of exactly what agency does Sam Neill really work for and what exactly is going on how did he know this was going to happen etc.

Need to see more but the first episode was quite good.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
I really can't get into the leads. Sarah Jones who is the female lead and Sam Neil who is a great actor but typecast a lot as he plays grouchy and hardened men. Really they are one-dimensional as it is the supporting players, that Jorge Garcia who is Dr Diego and that lady who used to be on ER, as Neil's assistant Lucy. That are the ones that pull it together as the supporting players have a great background and balance that I really found myself caring for them more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05