Alex Smith?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
PFT has a story on their web site which says Smith is due to make $8.5 million next season. Basically it all becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster on April 1 and he's due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year.

If he's released, should the Cardinals pursue him?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
PFT has a story on their web site which says Smith is due to make $8.5 million next season. Basically it all becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster on April 1 and he's due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year.

If he's released, should the Cardinals pursue him?

I would hope that the Cardinals have the QB position taken care of before April 1st of next season.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
No...if we have to roll with Kolb next year, fine...BUT only if we draft a QB no later than the second round and have Kolb as a stop gap (though a rather expensive one). I do not want to see anymore extreme fantasies by this organization thinking a late round QB could be a solution.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No...if we have to roll with Kolb next year, fine...BUT only if we draft a QB no later than the second round and have Kolb as a stop gap (though a rather expensive one). I do not want to see anymore extreme fantasies by this organization thinking a late round QB could be a solution.
Extreme fantasy is a great term. Alex Smith would qualify.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Alex Smith was a first rounder... Not that that matters with the Cardinals as the only QB's that seem to work out here are undrafted, former grocery stock-boys...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alex Smith was a first rounder... Not that that matters with the Cardinals as the only QB's that seem to work out here are undrafted, former grocery stock-boys...
any notion that Alex Smith would be successful in AZ is an extreme fantasy.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
any notion that Alex Smith would be successful in AZ is an extreme fantasy.

Especially under Whis. Smith has shown he needs a little coddling and a coach who stands behind him. Whis is not that guy.

But if Whis is chased out of town, Smith may be a better option than what is currently on our roster. But not certain of that.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially under Whis. Smith has shown he needs a little coddling and a coach who stands behind him. Whis is not that guy.

But if Whis is chased out of town, Smith may be a better option than what is currently on our roster. But not certain of that.
No coach can coach him. He is not good enough. Unless you want a Trent Dilfer type to win 7-8 games a year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I said extreme fantasies of the later rounds, but I hear ya' LOL. Good luck to all who want to find another Tom Brady because the chances are low. You can also get lucky with the likes of Warners and Romos but it is slim. The percentage rate for QBs being a bust are high no matter where drafted but the best ones are still usually taken early because the scouts (well, at least other team's scouts looking at the QB position) do have some kind of idea of whether or not a guy will fail :)

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
If Alex Smith gets cut and Whiz gets fired, I'd bring him in. If Whiz is still here it will be a disaster. Smith isn't the Warner type of QB that works in Whiz's system. Whiz needs a guy who reads defenses extremely well, plays great under pressure, and makes pre-snap adjustments well (like moving someone to help block when the edge rusher is lined up too wide for the T to handle it instead of doing nothing and letting the tackle get blamed by everyone when a sack happens.)

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No coach can coach him. He is not good enough. Unless you want a Trent Dilfer type to win 7-8 games a year.

If we had Dilfer this year and maybe a tackle or two, we are still in the playoff hunt. :p

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Yes, he is better than any QB on this roster. He has proven he can manage a game and win consitently with a really good defense. (As long as Whis is gone).

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If we had Dilfer this year and maybe a tackle or two, we are still in the playoff hunt. :p

No because we don't have a 2,000 yd RB in our backfield or even run the ball close to what the Ravens did. There's a reason the Dilfer experiment didn't last past the SB season. As good as our D is, it's not near as good as that Ravens D either.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Hell no. The guy is marginal at best with one of the best offensive lines in the league, elite tight end, and an excellent corp of running backs.

He would regress exponentially in this offense behind our offensive line. And any regression of his talents would make him useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Hell no. The guy is marginal at best with one of the best offensive lines in the league, elite tight end, and an excellent corp of running backs.

He would regress exponentially in this offense behind our offensive line. And any regression of his talents would make him useless.

70% completion percentage, 104 QB rating, 13 TD's & 5 INT's is marginal at best? Totally disagree. Not saying he wouldn't regress here in AZ. But calling him marginal at best is an insult.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd take a gamble on Smith. He's had to adjust to multiple offensive coordinators already, which makes him a perfect fit for us. Plus, until last year and mostly this year he really didn't have any receivers to throw to. And he's NEVER had a receiver like Fitz to throw to. That and he can throw the tight end seam pass and in fact is really good at it. He's also a sack machine which makes him perfect for our offense.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No because we don't have a 2,000 yd RB in our backfield or even run the ball close to what the Ravens did. There's a reason the Dilfer experiment didn't last past the SB season. As good as our D is, it's not near as good as that Ravens D either.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.. Because if we have even a slightly better than terrible QB.. I see 3-4 of our last 7 losses being W's

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.. Because if we have even a slightly better than terrible QB.. I see 3-4 of our last 7 losses being W's
Dilfer was a pretty bad QB for most of his career, which is the guy you said we would win with. If he's better than Skelton or Lindley the difference wouldn't win 3-4 more games, in fact Dilfer sucks worse than Kolb!!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dilfer was a pretty bad QB for most of his career, which is the guy you said we would win with. If he's better than Skelton or Lindley the difference wouldn't win 3-4 more games, in fact Dilfer sucks worse than Kolb!!!

the only teams Dilfer could win with were with pretty much the best defenses of ALL-TIME... PLUS an incredible running game. Our defense is good... and a lot of the time, very good, but it's not close to that Ravens D (pretty much no one but the 85 Bears were) and we have no running game to speak of.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
70% completion percentage, 104 QB rating, 13 TD's & 5 INT's is marginal at best? Totally disagree. Not saying he wouldn't regress here in AZ. But calling him marginal at best is an insult.

Well...it is an insult because he's not a very good quarterback. Your stats (which i am acutely aware of) may tell one story, but if you know the QB position and have a good eye for football, you'll see otherwise. He was just benched for a 2nd year guy after one good performance. Plus, they opened up the playbook for the second year guy ; whereas, they pared it down for Smith. This stuff doesn't happen to great or even good QBs.

His Stats lie. He played in a very conservative offense and now he's not playing at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser