All is Fun in the Valley of the Sun

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-24-8/All-is-Fun-in-the-Valley-of-the-Sun--Right-.html

All is Fun in the Valley of the Sun. Right?

May 2, 2007 12:34 PM

Clearly. It's a hoot to be a Sun. The locker room chemistry is good. The style of play is fun. The win totals are impressive. The media is friendly. There is championship talk in the air. Depending what happens in the lottery, the Suns could be about to add a very serious rookie or four (based on end-of-season standings, the Suns would pick 4th, 24th, 29th, and 59th in one of the best drafts ever). The point guard is one of the best leaders in the NBA. The fifth or sixth best player is, according to one source, a genius for the ages.

And tonight you get to vanquish an old foe in front of a noisy home crowd.

So why is it that Mike D'Antoni can't sleep at night, as Doug Haller reports on AZcentral.com:

He can't golf.

Can't read.

Can't think about anything besides basketball.

"I don't have any hobbies," the Suns fourth-year coach says. "This is it. I don't really relax. I just lay in a coma somewhere. I can't focus on a lot of stuff. If I didn't enjoy it or if the team became a pain, it might be different. But this is fun."
He knows what's at stake. For the first time in three seasons, the Suns are healthy entering the postseason. All the pieces appear to be in place, which means after advancing to the Western Conference finals two straight seasons, the Suns are a championship favorite.

Competitive fire. Excitement. Sure, that's all part of it.

But don't leave out: sense of urgency.

This won't last forever.

First and foremost, because Steve Nash is 33, and has a back so bad he can barely sit down for extended periods. At some point, he will presumably break down, and the fun will come to an end. No one knows when. But whatever the doctors told Mark Cuban about that was convincing enough that Dallas opted not to re-sign Nash when Phoenix made him a free agent offer.

Let's assume, however, because who wants to think about Nash breaking down, that he plays on forever.

Still there are compelling reasons to lie awake at night.

Yes, this roster is more settled than almost any in the NBA. All the key players are locked up for quite some time. Kurt Thomas can opt out this summer, sure. James Jones has another year.

But ... Shawn Marion is the worry. A strong candidate for defensive player of the year, and often the Suns' leading scorer, Marion has just one more year season before he can opt out, and the sense is that he's amenable to switching teams if it might mean a chance to show all that he can do.

That's the thing about selfless, ball-sharing teams like the Suns. They don't let players scratch that ego itch, by showing how they can be the man. (Joe Johnson left under similar circumstances.)

That same thing chafes at Amaré Stoudemire. Again, quoting Haller:

The Suns center, fully recovered from microfracture knee surgery, longs to be a superstar, the go-to guy nearly every time down the court.

"If you're a dominant scorer, it's definitely tough because you want the ball in your hand, you want to be a playmaker," Stoudemire says. "It's just something you have to deal with."

How does he do it?

"I always come down before practice and play kind of in my own little zone," Stoudemire says.

"It's just me vs. an imaginary player, and I just attack it because that's what I want to do. I want to end up being a dominant player, and I want to keep that passion for it."

Take another look at those Phoenix salaries. Notice the totals at the bottom in the upcoming years. Even though Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa are bargains, those are some high salary totals for the next couple of years. With the structure as it is, is there any chance owner Robert Sarver will shell out enough to keep Marion happy too?

Now you can see why there are whispers that someone -- Marion or Stoudemire are the most likely candidates -- may be on the move. Which would mean tinkering with a major piece of a successful team. Which could mess with everything.

Which is all a very good reason for the Suns to win the title now, with plan A. Strike while the iron is hot. (Steve Nash gets it, which is why he has been putting himself through self-assigned two-a-day practices. Even D'Antoni calls him a maniac for that.)

Sorry, Coach D'Antoni. Maybe you can sleep next year.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
It is no secret that the team may be making some moves to clear salary after this season, but if Amare is the one to go then there are serious problems.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It is no secret that the team may be making some moves to clear salary after this season, but if Amare is the one to go then there are serious problems.

The problem is that there's no team without Nash, Marion doesn't have much trade value, no one wants Diaw, and Thomas's only appeal is his expiring contract (which means the Suns wouldn't get any salary relief by trading him). So if a big salary is going to be moved out while still keeping the talent level elite, Stoudemire is the only option.

I'm not saying I like the idea, because I don't, but that's the reality.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
The problem is that there's no team without Nash, Marion doesn't have much trade value, no one wants Diaw, and Thomas's only appeal is his expiring contract (which means the Suns wouldn't get any salary relief by trading him). So if a big salary is going to be moved out while still keeping the talent level elite, Stoudemire is the only option.

Well, I'll change my statement. If they trade Amare and get a guy like Oden or Durant then maybe it will be more palatable. But even then, I wouldn't be too happy with it.

If someone has to go it should be Marion. Trade him for a few synthetic basketballs, I don't care.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
If that's the reality, the Suns needed to do something before now.

It's not as though the 2007 salary crunch is a surprise--we've been discussing it on this board for about two years now, right?--so if the Suns wind up dumping their best player because he makes about as much as Banks and Diaw combined...:mad:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
If someone has to go it should be Marion. Trade him for a few synthetic basketballs, I don't care.
As currently constructed, the Suns can't compete without Marion. Not unless the other teams are out of basketballs, anyway. ;)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
As currently constructed, the Suns can't compete without Marion.

Oh, I completely disagree. I think the Suns could replace Marion with a second-tier starting SF and drop only a few games over the 82 of a season. Other players would have to adjust, particularly in rebounding, but really, how hard is it to run the floor and be force-fed for dunks by the league's best PG? Then, figure in that the replacement SF might be able to hit an open 17-foot jump shot or post a guy six inches shorter than he is, and the Suns might even be better off.

OP
OP
jbeecham

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I could think of a couple of guys that could give us enough production to make up for the loss of Shawn. Most of these guys aren't available and some I wouldn't want on the Suns, but Rashard Lewis, Ron Artest, Shane Battier, Caron Butler, Loul Deng, Josh Howard, Andre Igoudala, Lamar Odom, Tayshaun Prince, Jason Richardson, and of course guys like Kobe, Tmac, KG & Lebron could all fit right in.

Then there's guys like Mike Miller & Andres Nocioni that could be ok, but the dropoff is greater.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Small Forward is the most replaceable position on the floor. Angry, athletic Black Jesus' aren't.

PHX 32

Hard times on Planet Orange
Reaction score
This is a bad post of the article because it doesn't include all the links in the article. He uses like 12 links throughout the entire article, its very entertaining.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the moves we make in the off-season, if any, will highly depend on how far we get in the playoffs. But I don't like the idea of "let's win it now while we still have all the players." I know that luxury tax is a problem, but this is not just about winning one trophy, it's about building a dynasty. We can't replace Amare with we can't replace Marion. So I'll assume, until proven otherwise, that if the team continues to be successful, no major moves detrimental to the team will be made. But I don't know if anything short of a championship can be considered successful anymore.

scotsman13

Reaction score
i dont understand how people can stay a very good defender who brings it every night and averages 20 and 10 has limited or no trade value?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
how about we enjoy this playoff run and stop looking at which players should stay or go? i love our team right now and just want to appreciate them while we have them.

wourd.

(although we might have to trade Jenna to another board due to the above comment)

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I know that luxury tax is a problem, but this is not just about winning one trophy, it's about building a dynasty.

Sarver did say last summer that as long as a championship was on the horizon he wouldn't hesitate to pay the lux-tax.

Which of course means if they don't smell the Finals, it's a great excuse to make a major trade.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
my post production is high, but my lack of content efficiency severely lowers my trade value. plus, i'd barely be of any salary relief. good luck trying to trade me. :cool:

oh, wait... :(
Since I agreed with you, and I have almost no content efficiency whatsoever, I will be a cap casualty for sure.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
i dont understand how people can stay a very good defender who brings it every night and averages 20 and 10 has limited or no trade value?

Because his new team would be on the hook for his superstar-level salary. Marion makes as much as Nash and Bell put together. Which would you rather have?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort