Almanza Joins D-Backs, Lefty Reliever Lopez Designated for Assignment

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...t_id=1117336&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

07/05/2005 9:50 PM ET
Notes: Almanza joins D-Backs
Lefty reliever Lopez designated for assignment
By Steve Gilbert / MLB.com

PHOENIX -- The Diamondbacks continued to tweak their bullpen in search of the right combination when they purchased the contract of left-hander Armando Almanza on Tuesday and designated Javier Lopez for assignment.

Almanza took a circuitous route to Bank One Ballpark. He began the year with Triple-A Fresno in the Giants' organization, but he was released on April 14 after making two appearances. The D-Backs signed him a week later and assigned him to Double-A Tennessee, where he made six appearances.

The Diamondbacks promoted him to Tucson, where after two outings he was released, only to re-sign on May 30. Overall, he was 1-0 with a 1.80 ERA in 15 appearances for Tucson.

"Javy really got off to a hot start for us and was that guy that we bring in for a particular left-hander, and as of late we weren't getting a whole lot of results," Arizona manager Bob Melvin said. "Reports from our people in Triple-A were that Almanza not only gets lefties out, he gets righties out."

Almanza has made 284 big league appearances since making his debut with the Marlins in 1999. He was asked if he was surprised when he got the news Monday night.

"Yeah, considering I had been passed up a couple times," Almanza said. "I didn't know when I was going to get called up."

Whereas Lopez was limited to just facing lefties, Melvin feels that with a 94 mph fastball, sharp curve and changeup, Almanza can also get right-handers out.

"Almanza's here in a role similar to what Javy had," Melvin said. "Yet we feel like we can run him through three or four hitters and pitch an inning."

Well... I'm glad the Dbacks brass came to their collective senses and finally released Lopez instead of demoting younger talent such as Gosling back to Tucson......

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Whereas Lopez was limited to just facing lefties, Melvin feels that with a 94 mph fastball, sharp curve and changeup, Almanza can also get right-handers out.
Yeah, since Almanza has had such good luck getting that accomplished before. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playe...le?statsId=6295

His control has been better in Tucson than in year's past if that's any consolation.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...I guess I can applaud the Dbacks for being proactive in trying to solve their BP problems and also not making any impulsive moves by dealing their top prospects for someone such as Baez....

So.. at least they're exhibiting some restraint and also not just promoting up rookies and destroying their arms in the process like they've done to many before....

englishdback

Reaction score
I Wish we would STOP picking up scruddy, failed relievers ditched by other clubs, and expecting them to be the next big thing for us. We should just ride it out with the young guys and let them learn on the job. The young guys we have on the roster (and in AAA) have more chance of ever being useful to us than 35 year olds ditched by everyone else.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05