Amaré to wear goggles 'from here on out'

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Stoudemire in the end is not a MAX player as Nashman stated and I agree with that. His current contract is slightly "fit" for his game, 15~17 Million a year. I wouldn't offer more than 15 a year next contract... but thats just me.

Because with Stoudemire, you NEED another all-star MVP caliber player for the team to be competitive. As I stated in the past... I would offer Joe Johnson 100 Million/6 yr contract and Stoudemire the same.

He isnt a 20+ Million guy...

I agree with this and hope Amare will listen. If we could have Joe back that would be the best. I'd be in seventh heaven or something. :D

Then we could have Barbosa or Dragic (shooting practice all summer!!) at the 1 and Barnes & J-Rich at 3 and grab another big center in the draft or from another team.

Anyway get well soon Amare and let the game speak for itself cause all that self confident talk can get a bit much. And 1 should not make it to the next season ;)

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
Comparing with other top teams in the league the Suns are lacking CONSISTENCY no matter if its the style or the players. Spurs have their core (Duncan parker and manu) while the Lakers have Kobe and Phil Jackson. We had three coaches since 2007 and we don't even have a franchise player although our roster is filled with veterans.
Anyway hope that Amare gets well soon and we can build around him and Gentry.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its looking more and more like the Suns don't need Amare and play BETTER without him, won't be surprised at all when he is traded this offseason! Hopefully this front office can see whats right in front of them, this team plays as a TEAM without Amare. Oh and its not the first time this team has succeeded without Amare, think they went farther without him in the playoffs than the ever did with him!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Its looking more and more like the Suns don't need Amare and play BETTER without him, won't be surprised at all when he is traded this offseason! Hopefully this front office can see whats right in front of them, this team plays as a TEAM without Amare. Oh and its not the first time this team has succeeded without Amare, think they went farther without him in the playoffs than the ever did with him!

I would like Amare to be traded, as I don't think that he is worth the money he'll be seeking. He is simply not a franchise player.
Having said that, your post is simply not fair. Amare's season ended right after the coaching change. Couple of games that he played under Gentry were just fine. Suns were playing well as a team WITH Stoudemire.
As far as playoffs go, the Suns got tot he conference finals because of the glitch in seeding. They defeated the Clippers and the Lakers who had Smush Parker and Luke Walton starting. Had they beaten San Antonio and Dallas, you'd have a point.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Nashman spamming the board with nonsense again.

First of all we never went further in the playoffs without Amare than we did with him. We luckily beat the bad Lakers and CLIPPERS to get to the WCF without Amare with some stellar play from Tim Thomas who we luckily picked up off waivers.
We then lost to a relatively weak Mavs team, a team we tore apart in the 2nd round with Amare the season before and a team that lost the finals to the worst NBA champion possibly ever.
The only reason we had some success that season is because we avoided the Spurs that year, while every year Amare was healthy we met the Spurs sooner or later.

2nd of all this team is playing better without Amare? The defense is horrible, we are barely over .500 without him.

We just got BLOWN out by Portland giving up 129 points.

Last edited:

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I am not taking sides, but the 2 games befor the Blazers game is the best I have seen this team play for the entire season. They played with so much heart and hustle. Sure, it is disappointing they were blown out last night, but this team is old and was tired on the back-to-back.

Getting back onto the thread's subject, will Amare pimp out goggles?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Slin like it or not this team is better without Amare! If Amare were playing our D would be worse because Duds and Lou would be getting very limited minutes and Amare doesn't rebound or play defense. Like it or not the bench is a big reason this team is better and with Amare they don't get to play. Not to mention Amare has become a black hole he worries about his numbers and turns it over repeatedly trying to drive and teams are just stealing the ball away from him. This is not just my opinion have heard it all over as well as the radio, tv its not like I am just making it up geesh. Its clear to anyone watching this team has been playing MUCH better without Amare. Of course we wouldn't have trouble scoring with Amare never have, point is Amare makes our D worse! Its bad enough Nash and JRich and others are bad defensively we can't have everyone on the floor not playing defense do you get that? The only nonsense being spammed is your defending Stat who WILL BE traded the Suns have seen they don't need him!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh and he is not worth what he and some like you think he is! He is a good scoring PF thats it not a franchise player and definately not worth a max deal!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh and he is not worth what he and some like you think he is! He is a good scoring PF thats it not a franchise player and definately not worth a max deal!

Please, for once use SOME common sense! The guy has a MAJOR eye injury and is playing on 2 microfractured knees! I have as much faith in him as anybody, but as a fan, that's easy. As a GM of a basketball team in this economy, you've got to be fricking kidding me that you think we could get a lot for him this summer.

This board constantly amazes me at how much everyone overrates our ability to get top-notched talent back. For every Jason Richardson there are 2 Hot Rod Williams'.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Anyone who says this team is better than without Amare is insane, the dude is a beast.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Label me insane because we ARE better without Amare! Its no coincidence that ball movement and shot selection look a hell of alot better without sticky hands Amare in the lineup. Hopefully the FO is smart enough to see this is not a guy you build around, if anything thats what they have been doing and its failed! Amare said I don't want to be a center well so far thats the only place he has been dominant in his career and thats because very few centers can gaurd him because of his quickness, as a PF he is good but not even close to a franchise type player.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chap with all due respect where in the hell did I say we were going to get alot for Amare? I didn't say that I don't think we would get alot but relieving his salary from the team alone could be good, and you should be able to get a few role players or something for him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap with all due respect where in the hell did I say we were going to get alot for Amare? I didn't say that I don't think we would get alot but relieving his salary from the team alone could be good, and you should be able to get a few role players or something for him.

The point is that you do NOT trade him this summer! You wait until the trade deadline when he has proven that he can get us some good stuff back. As much as you'd like them to, we're not going to trade Amare for bench players.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess that depends on whether they believe Amare will hurt chemistry or play as a team. From what I see Amare plays when he wants to and if you don't give him plenty of offensive touches he is totally disinterested in playing hard and will just stand around on D not exactly a shining example to the guys on the bench that play hard. IMO Amare is lazy and selfish and this team is better without him, but your entitled to your opinion as well as I to mine.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Nash is to go, whatever else we do. With him gone, there will be some sanity restored on this board. ;)

Nash/Lopez for Calderon/Barganini

Shaq/Amare/Hill/JR/Calderon as starters with Barganini/Amundson/Dudley/Swift/Barbosa/Dragic off bench, we will be contender again!

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
I hope we keep Amare and just learn from our mistakes in regards to what kind of players you want to put around him.

His problem is he has 2-4 plays almost every game on the defensive end that just make you want to throttle him - being completely non-existent as a help defender sometimes, poor closeouts or just getting blown by when someone drives on him (this isn't all his fault though, I hope I'm not the only one who has noticed how absolutely atrocious his lateral movement is since the surgery). The plays look so bad that it's easy to point to him as being a major problem defensively. But in the grand scheme of things, that has a pretty small effect on the outcome of a game compared to things like how Shaq and Nash defend the 30~ pick and rolls that get run against them every game, how we constantly have to overcome the fact that our most important player often gets outplayed by horrible point guards (I understand getting lit up by Paul, Parker, D-Will.. but seriously, watching guys like Aaron Brooks, Raymond Felton and Brevin Knight torch this team is incredibly frustrating).

Build around Amare, get rid of either Barbosa or J-Rich because you can't win around 3 terrible defenders like those three, and get Amare players like Billups (and I'm not saying he even has to be that good, we just need to draft our own Russell Westbrook or something), Chandler, Ariza, etc. with a shooter or two thrown in and you have a team that can compete.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah building around Amare sounds like a great plan for this organization...clearly you haven't even been watching the Suns geesh! Yeah lets build around the guy that doesn't defend, has ticking time bombs for knees, wants a max deal, can't stay on the floor...great plan hope the Suns FO is smarter than this!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Label me insane because we ARE better without Amare! Its no coincidence that ball movement and shot selection look a hell of alot better without sticky hands Amare in the lineup.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the coaching change that occurred two games before Amare's injury.