Amare out until after the All-star game

sunsfn

Reaction score
Suns notebook: Stoudemire may sit until All-Star break
By Mike Tulumello, Tribune
MINNEAPOLIS - Amare Stoudemire says he "probably" won’t return from his continuing ankle and toe problems until after the All-Star break.

If this is the case, he would miss the last four games of this road trip, the Suns’ longest of the season, plus six more games over the following two weeks.

That also may put the reigning NBA Rookie of the Year out of the game between the league’s top rookies and second-year players on All-Star Weekend. Stoudemire missed 18 games with a left ankle injury suffered Dec. 5 in Boston when he landed on Paul Pierce’s foot after missing a layup. He came back on Jan. 9 but injured the ankle again on Jan. 18, at home vs. Portland.

Afterward he indicated he probably came back too soon and that he would sit out as long as necessary until the ankle is fully healed. "There’s going to be no pain," he said. "I learned my lesson. I have a whole career ahead of me." On Sunday, he said the ankle and toe injuries are "about equal" in the problems they’re giving him.

http://eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=16251

:(

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess Amare isn't going to be one of those guys who never gets injured :( I just hope this doesn't become chronic.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Is anyone honestly upset about this?? I mean I was actually pretty happy when I heard this.

1.) The longer Amare is out, the better our draft pick becomes. Sad to think this way, but I think for the franchise, it is realisitically the best.

2.) They want it to heal fully, so that it doesn't become chronic. I guess the nature of the injury can cause it become recurring if it isn't fully trated (more so than other injuries)

3.) It isn't like Amare is being a baby in my eyes. If he were truely needed right now, and we were in a playoff hunt I think he would play. He played in pain half of last season.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SunCardfan
I guess Amare isn't going to be one of those guys who never gets injured :( I just hope this doesn't become chronic.

Actually I think he is being wise. He had hurt his ankle mildly prior to it being injured seriously because he played on it in a weakened condition. Then he came back ahead of schedule and hurt it again. It is not just about playing with pain, but being smart about when to play with with pain.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably also means that Cabarkapa and Lampe will get some more playing time over the next couple of weeks.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
It probably also means that Cabarkapa and Lampe will get some more playing time over the next couple of weeks.

Joe Mama

Boo yaa!! :p

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
As much as this is dissappointing, i like the fact he's wanting only to come back when he's 100%. Most players say that anyhow, but how he puts it, saying he's learnt his lesson and wants to feel no pain when he returns is a sign hopefully, he'll be protective in the future of such injuries. He sees the fears we see. He doesn't want to have reaccuring injuries. Glad he's really trying to get right and come at full strength.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some people do get injured easier than others though. Look at Stockton and Malone, Jordan didn't get injured often either... I also agree that it's good he's waiting until he's fully healed until he comes back but I do think Amare needs all the time on the court he can get. He's still pretty raw so I'm not really that happy about it.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama

Joe Mama
Lampe is not likely to see much time as D'Antoni is not exactly praising the effort from the other night. In fact, one may say that D'Antoni was not being sapient in his remarks regarding Lampe.....

"If Lampe gets to play, we're in trouble"

and then, several days later after putting Lampe in the game vs. SA....

D’Antoni admitted afterward that he goofed. "I was loose with my substitutions," he said.

I think if you have a young kid with a lot of possibility, you don't make comments that are likely to make the kid feel like a tyro.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yeah I agree, it's not like we're fighting for a championship. Maybe when we're mathematically out of it he'll get playing time. Not!

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
It seems to me that the key point is that Amare played through worse than this last year.

The other thing that occurs to me is that he kind of brought this latest injury on himself by making a risky play. It's possible that he'll start to avoid those plays as he matures a little.

Got to hope for the best, right? ;)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, I'll take the opposing view on this one.

Sounds like Amare is being a baby. He's not injured bad enough to be out that many games. The team is babying him by letting him take them.

Do we have a prima donna in the making?

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by JCSunsfan
OK, I'll take the opposing view on this one.

Sounds like Amare is being a baby. He's not injured bad enough to be out that many games. The team is babying him by letting him take them.

Do we have a prima donna in the making?

I don't see a smilely so I'd say you're serious.....
Possibly so. It's been lurking in the back of my mind.
I mentioned the other day that perhaps someone has his "ear". While I agree that it's not good to play when you're injured I think Amare's mindset has changed from the "Incredible Hulk" to that of "I've got to protect my future". On one hand he says he didn't try to come back too early - on the other hand he says "look what happened"
Amare is a smart young man - I hope he's smart enough to make up his own mind.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I am a bit upset he is not playing. If he says he is in too much pain or whatever we have to accept that. If he is not in danger of making it worse and it is only a matter of some pain he should be playing.

He needs the court time and he is getting paid a lot of money to play a game.

If he needs time to get him body right that is fine but the concept of 100% healthy before he returns to the court is more than a little upsetting to me. Guys are out there playing in pain and with injuries all the time. Is anybody ever 100% during the season? and what is 100% anyway?

Anyway, get well soon Amare. We all look forward to your return.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course I would like to see Amare Stoudemire play, but if his toe especially is not feeling right I would prefer he didn't. I would rather have him wait until he is ready. I just hope this isn't one of those nagging injuries that is keeping him out of 20-30 games every year. It's one of the reasons I'm all for drafting Okafor or Howard if the team is so lucky to have a chance at one of them.

I believe that if the Suns were contending for a playoff spot he would probably suck up the pain and play through it.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey, lighten up. If the Suns were pushing to make the playoffs, then maybe I'd get antsy. At this point we don't know exactly how strong his ankle is nor how badly hurt his toe is. He played with a turf toe all of last season and was a big part of the team making the playoffs. That suggests he will play with pain.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I'm a bit taken back by his comments after his injury.

It all seems really strange.

Amare runs the floor like a deer, throws R. Patterson's lay-up into the second deck, and makes a throw-slitting gesture. The pain obviously wasn't debilitating enough for him to scream in pain...

... He was walking around afterwards. It was almost like he just shut it down.

What's really going on?? Why would Amare make those comments about not going to be pressured to come back early??

Yes, he may be legitimately injured. But, it has to be worrisome for the Sun's brass.

It just doesn't seem Amare is in any real hurry to get back on the floor.

I hope I'm wrong.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think it is hilarious what some people want to make out of this?

I bet the suns aren't worried one bit and actually want Amare to do that.

Too bad Barbosa will now probably be the only Suns player at the Allstar weekend.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'd like to say I'm not at all concerned about Amare missing the games because we're not in contention but he needs the experience and D'A isn't going to be working out the details of his offense without him. (I guess I should say if he's much shakes as a coach Amare will play a major role in the offense.) Instead of working on that the team is running a makeshift scheme and there's not a great deal of benefit in that for anyone.

I don't know how anyone cannot be concerned about Amare's physical durability. I'm also somewhat concerned about the effect it will have on his mindset. It seemed even before his injury he was going for jumpshots far more frequently than before and further from the basket. It's nice to have the range when it's needed but I'd rather have him creating havoc in the low post most of the time. Of course, if he can't take the punishment then he can't but his value is much reduced if he has to move out from basket.

We've already got Marion who stays away from the paint when he has a choice and Zarko might well have less appetite for the rough and tumble because of his injury. Hmmmm, is there such a thing as a triple high post offense?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
In fact the Suns management and training staff may be telling him not to play to early. Maybe so he is more effective when he does return and maybe because it does help their draft status.

I guess I am disappointed more than anything that the entire team is not available and they are losing. :(

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Errntknght
I don't know how anyone cannot be concerned about Amare's physical durability. I'm also somewhat concerned about the effect it will have on his mindset. It seemed even before his injury he was going for jumpshots far more frequently than before and further from the basket. It's nice to have the range when it's needed but I'd rather have him creating havoc in the low post most of the time. Of course, if he can't take the punishment then he can't but his value is much reduced if he has to move out from basket.

Let me get this straight. You think that Amare isn't effective because he is not inside enough. In his last four games he scored:

Nuggets - 28 points and 8 rebounds
Blazers - 22 points and 10 rebounds
Warriors - 21 points and 4 rebounds
Blazers - 16 points and 4 rebounds before getting injured

I wish all the Suns were that ineffective. :D

BTW, in the two games he had only 4 rebounds the Suns outrebounded both of their opponets by 9.

Last edited:

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Having Amare out could be our ticket to a top 5 pick!

Take your time Amare...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by creed
Having Amare out could be our ticket to a top 5 pick!

Take your time Amare...

I'm all happy about a top 5 pick. And I wouldn't mind at all if the Suns trainer and medical staff said, "we're not letting him come back too soon."

But when everyone on the team's mgmt is mum, and Amare says, "I'm only coming back when I feel ready." You've got to wonder about his competitiveness.

Zo, MJ, Magic, even players like Garnett--those are the types of players that don't want to come off the court unless its in a body bag--even when the game or season is out of reach. They're just competitors.

Amare's recent statement raise a doubt in my mind. I'm not at all convinced, just wondering...just a little "hmmmmmmmm."