The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Amare to start at San Antonio
Diaw, Thomas will sit

Bob Young
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 7, 2006

Amare Stoudemire will start Wednesday night against Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs.

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni and Stoudemire said as much at the Suns' workout today.

"Eventually he's going to start anyway, so we might as well get going and get our rotation down and try to do what we're going to do," D'Antoni said. "We're going to try everything to get him jump-started. if he's more comfortable that way, gets some adrenaline going, then we'll try it. we're going to try everything until we hit on the right solution."

Stoudemire has had mixed results in his first four games this season, but continues to be otimistic.

"I think the decision was something Coach D'Antoni made on his own judgment," he said. "I'm just happy to be back out there with these guys and I'm ready to get off on the right track. I think being out there with the first group is always great. I think it's going to help us as a team, just that energy and effort I try to bring.

"Tell you what, Tim Duncan is a great player. Playing against him my first game starting is. . . a privilege."

Stoudemire underwent microfracture surgery on his left knee a year ago and played in only three games last season.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/1107sunsstarters.html

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

We all know what Amare was able to do to Duncan when healthy. It sure is nice to have a coach that understands that you tinker with your lineups early in the season, rather than after your season has already been decided.

Damn you Denny Green.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Translation - "Why not, nothing else has seemed to work", says Coach D'Antoni. "Besides, Boris is generally late coming out of the locker room after eating his pre-game meal of 6 maple bars, 3 fudge brownies, 4 cheese danishes, and a quart of chocolate milk."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Translation - "Why not, nothing else has seemed to work", says Coach D'Antoni. "Besides, Boris is generally late coming out of the locker room after eating his pre-game meal of 6 maple bars, 3 fudge brownies, 4 cheese danishes, and a quart of chocolate milk."

Do the French drink chocolate milk?

OP
OP
The Commish

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Who is going to be taken out of the starting lineup? Boris or Thomas?

They way I read it is:

Nash
Barbosa
Bell
Marion
Amare

Lacks scoring off the bench though unless Boris gets it going. Having Jalen in the 2nd unit should help down the road though.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Barbs off the bench I like, he adds that spark. When he starts we don't have that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
2nd unit:

Marcus Banks
Jalen Rose
James Jones
Boris Diaw
Kurt Thomas

That's not too bad for a 2nd unit.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd unit:

Marcus Banks
Jalen Rose
James Jones
Boris Diaw
Kurt Thomas

That's not too bad for a 2nd unit.

That 2nd unit could compete in the East for a playoff spot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think having Amare start is the smart thing to do. He and the Suns need to learn if he is the future of this franchise or part of the past. I believe the Suns need to feed him the ball where he can be successful. Maybe it will work or maybe it won't.

IMO, the Suns have tried to run last year's offense without including Amare as an integral option. However, there is only one way to find out what Amare can do now and in the future... play him and feed him the ball. Also, I think when Amare finds his role with the Suns, the other players will feel more relaxed because their roles will be more clearly defined.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, we're trying to mimic the 2004 team, with less size and a less athletic Stoudemire... doesn't bode well for the immediate and we're going to get killed on Wednesday.

That being said, I do like that DA is just starting Amare - he's right - he's gonna be in the lineup eventually - got to get him in there and acclimated sooner rather than later.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Over the last few games its seems that Nash must play with Amare to get production out of amare. Many of the other guys just dont seem to look for him, and he doesnt get the touches. My problem with this lineup is that Amare must guard TD, as Marion cant do it. Also Bell is shooting terribly to open the year, hope he gets it straightened out as the suns need his shot and his D.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish someone would tell Marion not to shoot the 3 point shot as a primary option. He is not very consistent and leaves the Suns without a good rebounder underneath. I don't mind him taking the 3 shot when he is feeling it and the team is playing well, however, otherwise it really hurts the Suns.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
This is a good thing, although I would like to see Diaw starting and Barbosa coming off the bench, that 1st unit is going to be like lighting in a bottle if they can mesh quickly with the second unit being a very strong defensive unit...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, we're trying to mimic the 2004 team, with less size and a less athletic Stoudemire... doesn't bode well for the immediate and we're going to get killed on Wednesday.

That being said, I do like that DA is just starting Amare - he's right - he's gonna be in the lineup eventually - got to get him in there and acclimated sooner rather than later.

Yes, the Suns may get killed Wednesday, but if there is a player that can distract Amare from his injuries, it's Tim Duncan. I don't mind losing the battle if it can motivate Amare and recapture his will to become great again.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
This is a great move. Last year's team consistently choked and gave up big leads. The Suns were at their best two years ago with Amare and Nash running the pick and roll to close teams out. Not to mention Joe Johnson coming up with big one on one plays. Damn I wish we still had him. I would give up KT, Diaw and Barbosa for him.

Nash

Reaction score
Just as a side thought, would the Suns have any interest in trading for Etan Thomas or Brendon Haywood? It seems these two players just cannot get along.

Ha ha! check this out:
"Haywood responded by slamming Thomas to the ground and tearing out two of his dreadlocks"

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I like it. Amare needs to play with Nash more to get him involved the game.

Not sure I like 3 guards starting the game though.
I wonder if coach wants Barbosa's speed guarding Parker to start the game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha! check this out:
"Haywood responded by slamming Thomas to the ground and tearing out two of his dreadlocks"

Yes, I read that. Do you think their relationship can be repaired after Thomas lost two dreadlocks?

I think not. :hairraise

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
. Not to mention Joe Johnson coming up with big one on one plays. Damn I wish we still had him. I would give up KT, Diaw and Barbosa for him.

You have got to be kidding?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion is playing great so far this year, but for the love of god - there's NO WAY he should be shooting SIX threes per night. That's just ridiculous.

OP
OP
The Commish

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
This is the next logical step for Amare. He is physically ready to go which I think is evident on the court. He just needs to get back to playing ball with the starters - especially Nash. I don't expect this to be a smoothe transition though so I hope nobody jumps ship after the first game or two.