Amare will be great but....

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
this will prolly be marion's only all-nba selection for his career. mcgrady will be making first, second, or third teams for his entire career.

and you're joking if you think marion's a better athlete, even slightly.

mcgrady is a better player. a ton? no. but definitely better. it's not a question.

IMO McGrady is clearly a better player than Shawn Marion. He surely more coordinated than Marion, but I wouldn't say he is as athletic. Shawn Marion's athleticism is matched by only a few NBA players. McGrady is bigger, more coordinated, and significantly better on offense. Shawn Marion is a better defender although some of that just has to do with McGrady's effort. When McGrady puts his mind to it he is actually a good defender.

Really I don't see the point in this argument though. Shawn Marion is a workhorse who is rarely out of action. McGrady on the other hand...

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Really I don't see the point in this argument though. Shawn Marion is a workhorse who is rarely out of action. McGrady on the other hand...

Joe Mama

come on Joe - save one season in his last 6 - T-Mac has averaged 76 games per year. Considering the pounding he takes from driving to the hole constantly that's pretty damn solid.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
come on Joe - save one season in his last 6 - T-Mac has averaged 76 games per year. Considering the pounding he takes from driving to the hole constantly that's pretty damn solid.

I have to at it that I didn't look at his record before I made that statement. I still say that Shawn Marion gives you more effort for more games, and there is a smaller risk that he's going to miss significant minutes to injury. Last summer when the Phoenix Suns were mentioned as a possibility for McGrady I predicted that McGrady will miss significant time to injury in the next few seasons. I stand by that prediction.

I still don't think this team would be better if it had McGrady instead of Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson. That's really the bottom line, isn't it?

Joe Mama

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If the Suns could have had McGrady instead of Marion all year with everything else being the same I don't think they would have won any more games but they would have averaged 130 ppg.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I have to at it that I didn't look at his record before I made that statement. I still say that Shawn Marion gives you more effort for more games, and there is a smaller risk that he's going to miss significant minutes to injury. Last summer when the Phoenix Suns were mentioned as a possibility for McGrady I predicted that McGrady will miss significant time to injury in the next few seasons. I stand by that prediction.

I still don't think this team would be better if it had McGrady instead of Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson. That's really the bottom line, isn't it?

Joe Mama

yeah - giving up BOTH Marion and JJ would have been too much. It's really too bad a Marion, Casey and #1 pick couldn't get that deal done - With Nash, T-Mac, JJ, Amare and whoever the hell they wanted to put at C, with Q coming off the bench, that team would have been very scary. But - they were VERY SCARY this year - so, we just have to regroup and take this experience and get back on the horse next year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

i think it'd be close. but we were just comparing marion to mcgrady straight away. i'm still not certain i'd do mcgrady for jj+marion. but man would teams have a difficult time stopping nash, q, amare, and mcgrady!