Antonio Daniels to the Wizards

sunsfn

Reaction score
July 20, 2005, 12:21 AM ET

Washington continues to fortify void left by Hughes

By Marc Stein

The Seattle SuperSonics suffered another free-agent defection Tuesday night when guard Antonio Daniels reached a verbal agreement with the Washington Wizards on a five-year contract worth an estimated $30 million.

Daniels was also a prime target of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Tony Dutt, Daniels' Houston-based agent, said Daniels will join the Wizards as soon as the moratorium on free-agent signings is lifted Friday, which the league has scheduled as the first day free agents can sign new contracts.

"The more we talked with Washington, we just felt very comfortable," Dutt said. "When Larry Hughes went to Cleveland, it just became a perfect fit for Antonio."

Daniels will join Caron Butler as the Wizards' two-pronged answer to the loss of Hughes, who is coming off a breakout season. Team officials are forbidden from commenting on the signing until the moratorium is lifted, but NBA front-office sources indicate Washington was drawn to Daniels for his playoff experience, athleticism and defensive skills.

Butler will be acquired from the Lakers in a sign-and-trade featuring Kwame Brown after the moratorium is lifted. The teams verbally agreed to the deal last week, but the Lakers have also been pursuing Daniels hard by offering the 6-foot-4 guard a similar five-year deal.

New coach Phil Jackson, whose fondness for long-limbed guards is well-known, had been hoping to pair Daniels in the Lakers' backcourt with Kobe Bryant.

Daniels thus becomes the third prominent member of Seattle's 52-30 team to leave the club this month. The Sonics quickly reached a verbal agreement to retain leading scorer Ray Allen, but coach Nate McMillan (Portland) and center Jerome James (New York) have since departed.

Daniels averaged 11.2 points and 4.1 assists for the Sonics last season, but proved even more effective in the playoffs when he joined Allen and Luke Ridnour in a three-guard attack. The ability of all three to handle the ball, penetrate and create offense on the perimeter enabled Seattle, though short-handed, to stretch eventual champion San Antonio to six games in the second round.

-

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
i really like that move for washington and my former classmate Arenas will only benefit from having a big strong pg back there. and even better the freaking lakers didnt get him.......:thumbup:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Daniels isn't on my list of UFAs... I wonder if he declined an option year or what. Dang, I'd rather have him than Raja Bell for the same money - he'd be an excellent backup PG, plays SG as well and is a good defender on top of it. The situation is probably better for him in Washington since he'll have a good chance to start but if we'd been knocking on his door on July first, he might never have talked to the Wiz. I suppose on July 1 he was thinking in terms of more dough...(nice rationalization, self)

Seattle is really taking it on the chin and there could still be more bad news... someone could overpay Reggie Evans, for example or Radmanovic who are RFAs.

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
I imagine the starting line-up would look like this

PG: Arenas
SG: Daniels
SF: Butler
PF: Jamison
C: Haywood

*Or they could switch Daniels to PG and make Arenas a SG

Either way I think it was a good signing by the wizard. I am very interested in how they do next year

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Daniels did decline his option IIRC. I also would have loved him for the Suns, but to be honest I thought he would cost a lot more than he did.

The Lakers could have had him if they wanted, but they were only offering a 2 year deal in order to preserve cap space for 2007 in case Amare or Yao became UFAs. Talk about a bad mistake by the LA brass.

The chance either of those guys becomes a UFA is probably less than 1%, where Daniels would have been an amazing guard for the Lakers and the triangle.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
He's this years Speedy Claxton. A guy who had a good playoff run in the last year of his contract. Some team will overpay and he'll be mediocre at best. It happens every year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm happy he's not going to the Lakers. Jackson might have been able to put a pretty solid defensive team together with Daniels and Bryant as a big backcourt.

Now I hear the Lakers are looking at either Damon or Payton again - neither of which leads me to believe they will make any impact.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
JPlay said:
He's this years Speedy Claxton. A guy who had a good playoff run in the last year of his contract. Some team will overpay and he'll be mediocre at best. It happens every year.

You could argue that JJ falls into this same category.

If JJ had not come back after breaking his face do you think he'd be getting the same interest from the Hawks, Cavs....? Or would there be enough doubt about to scare some teams off?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan