Any chance of getting Diener?

Nash

Reaction score
If there is a sleeper stud in the NBA, its this guy and he will do very well in our full court game. Add to that the fact that he is a smart kid who will make the most of his time around Nash to possibly step into atleast one of Nash's massive shoes when he retires, though I hate to think of that day. No no! Nash please stay with the Suns for the rest of your life!

I hope the Suns are taking a shot at getting him. Based on this article, I have a feeling Diener might be movable from Orlando:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2518659

Part of the article:
Diener's on

By John Denton
Special to ESPN.com

The 6-foot-nothing, buck-70-pound guard with the floppy hair and boyish looks was doing his best Steve Nash impersonation Thursday -- right down to the eye-popping, jaw-dropping statistics.
Only these 34 points, seven 3-pointers, five assists and four rebounds didn't come from first-round picks Tyrus Thomas or Marcus Williams.

You must be registered for see images

Fernando Medina/Getty Images
You can only hope to contain Travis Diener in Orlando -- he dropped 34 on the Bulls.

Instead, it was all-but-forgotten Orlando Magic guard Travis Diener, who was playing the role of giant killer and looking so very much like Nash the way he controlled every aspect of Thursday's 93-87 defeat of Chicago.

<some nonsense about Morrison here>

Diener made 11 of his 16 shots, seven of his 10 3-pointers and five free throws against Chicago's Aaron Miles, Jackie Manuel and Eddie Basden. Of course, that's not exactly the starting lineup in the next NBA All-Star Game, but virtually no one has been able to slow down the cat-quick Diener this week. Through four games, he's averaging 20.3 points, 6.5 assists and 4.0 rebounds a game.
Most importantly to Magic fans who just endured a season and a half of Steve Francis' dribble-dribble-dribble-turnover routine, Diener has turned the ball over exactly four times in four games.
Amazingly, Diener, the smallest guy on the court most of the time, has played with the most swagger. Getting that confidence back after playing just 23 games this past season has been a work in progress.
"My confidence is as high as it's ever been,'' Diener said. "I know that I can play at this level and contribute to a team. I'm just happy I've had this chance, and I just want to keep playing the way I'm playing.''
Because he has just a partial guarantee in his contract, it's no certainty that he will be back with the Magic next season. And even if he is, he'll likely be stuck behind Jameer Nelson and Carlos Arroyo for minutes at point guard.
But he knows considering the way he's played this week, he belongs in the NBA -- even if he's smaller than practically everyone else around him.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i'd like to think the suns have a shot at getting him. he'd be a great addition to our backcourt.

Nelson isnt going anywhere in Orlando
Arroyo is a fan favorite
even Dooling is their 3rd stringer

Diener seems to be the odd man out, and he's making pennies.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I hope that if the Suns do have a chance at him they go for it, this guy is a solid player who would do well here.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I wish the Suns would look beyond next season a little bit - we know we will need a PG very soon. You'd think with the TE and a first round pick in next years draft they could get one of Diener, West(Boston), Lucas(Houston) or Jack(Portland). We could just think of it as using the pick a year early, but we're getting a two year head start on developing the player which is good. Our pick next year isn't likely to be enough and Atlanta's pick is too much but maybe the middle pick is worth a few ping-pong balls in the
'Oden sweepstakes' and may well do the trick.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I wish the Suns would look beyond next season a little bit - we know we will need a PG very soon. You'd think with the TE and a first round pick in next years draft they could get one of Diener, West(Boston), Lucas(Houston) or Jack(Portland). We could just think of it as using the pick a year early, but we're getting a two year head start on developing the player which is good. Our pick next year isn't likely to be enough and Atlanta's pick is too much but maybe the middle pick is worth a few ping-pong balls in the
'Oden sweepstakes' and may well do the trick.

isn't John Lucas and undrafted free agent? I'm almost certain that he is, and he'll go to the team that offers the best combination of money and a chance to succeed in the league. on paper he looks great. However Andy said that he watched one Lucas game in Vegas where Lucas had good numbers, but he dominated the ball like a Marbury. He said he frequently dribbled the ball around all the way down to a few seconds left on the shot clock.

I'm not sure they're really it is a "middle pick" that the Phoenix Suns have been next year's draft. It's entirely possible that the Cleveland pick will be lower than their own. Certainly no one is expecting that one to be in the law lottery.

Joe

OP
OP
Nash

Nash

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
dont tease me....

deiner and luke jackson have been my 2 wild cards since last summer league....

I've always liked Diener. He was a freaking maniac in C-USA, winning games all by himself. I never realized the depth the Magic have at the PG spot and never thought they would be dumb enough to relegate him to a bench guy in his soph yr too. From this article, it looks like a bench rider is what he'll be.

So now that it looks like Orlando might be willing to trade him, the onus is on sports guys like you to badger the Suns front office with clips of Diener's plays and countless mails containing his stats. Its time you and Joe got to work.
:jedi:

thats the light saber fight between you and D'Antoni to sign Diener.

Get to work now! :thumbup:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Die in a fire, Travis Diener. :mad:

Hey, at least this summer, I don't have to read how Luke Jackson is the solution to the team's PG problems. ;)

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Nash said:
Get to work now! :thumbup:

I wish I had anywhere close to the influence you are inferring I have :) Meaning I wish I had any influence at all, hehe...

But hey, next time I talk to someone I will bring up Diener's name in passing anyways!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05