Any chance we could see Kurt Thomas play a few minutes on Monday?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully he'll get a chance to play. Our big guys have been in foul trouble in every game. I say throw him in there at about 6 minutes to go in the 1st and see how he does. If he sucks then you pull him after a few minutes and it shouldn't affect the outcome of the game too much.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no way - gotta go with the guys that brought you here. Screwing around with lineup at this point I think is coaching and season suicide.

Next round... when he's got more under legs, he'll see spot duty, but on Monday I'm guessing.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No way, not in a gm 7. He hasn't played it what.. three months, and now you want to toss him into the shark tank?? Brand and Kayman would eat him alive.

If they make it to the WCF's he might get a shot in the first game or two.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
Hopefully he'll get a chance to play. Our big guys have been in foul trouble in every game. I say throw him in there at about 6 minutes to go in the 1st and see how he does. If he sucks then you pull him after a few minutes and it shouldn't affect the outcome of the game too much.

I'm with you Suns hav a 7 man rotation and are giving it uo at will, dress Thomas, try him is all else fails, The D was a soft as a wet paper towel

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All we would want him to do is stick to Brand on defense, make him catch it farther out and box him out on the boards. We really don't need offense from him. Maybe he could set some back screens in the paint to get guys open, but I probably wouldn't put him in a pick & roll with Nash because the Clips will leave him wide open.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BillsCarnage said:
No way, not in a gm 7. He hasn't played it what.. three months, and now you want to toss him into the shark tank?? Brand and Kayman would eat him alive.

If they make it to the WCF's he might get a shot in the first game or two.

That makes no sense at all. Brand and company have been killing the Suns on the boards and with Kurt in there for a few minutes to bang with them could not hurt. The Suns would not be counting on Kurt to score, just to grab some boards.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
If Kurt is ready I would play hjim to bang Brand. If he bangs him he wont mess up the chemistry if he plays 10-15 minutes. The 7 man rotation looks a bit ragged

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
I think coach D should give a chance to more players, rather than only Kurt.

Use 6 players in playoffs is very impossible to win continuous games

HooverDam

Reaction score
Sunshooter said:
I think coach D should give a chance to more players, rather than only Kurt.

Use 6 players in playoffs is very impossible to win continuous games

Like who? Burke? Skita? Brian Grant? The ONLY guy who should maybe come off the bench a tad more is Eddie House. But he's been insanely cold in the playoffs. I'd love to see D'Antoni put House in at the end of the 1st quarter when Nash goes to take a breather. If House is hot, great, he can help the Suns finish the quarter strong.

Remember, D'Antoni isnt using 7 players by design. If healthy the Suns would probably be using a 9 man rotation.

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Like who? Burke? Skita? Brian Grant? The ONLY guy who should maybe come off the bench a tad more is Eddie House. But he's been insanely cold in the playoffs. I'd love to see D'Antoni put House in at the end of the 1st quarter when Nash goes to take a breather. If House is hot, great, he can help the Suns finish the quarter strong.

Remember, D'Antoni isnt using 7 players by design. If healthy the Suns would probably be using a 9 man rotation.

Coach D should give some reserves to play in last few minutes at the 1st or 2nd qtr. I know Marion has full of energy, but D should give me a break at that time, last 2 min in 1st qtr + commercial break + first 2 min in 2nd qtr = 7 or more minutes.

And I want to point that Nash+LB+Bell is a very bad lineup, it can get many points but also lost many points by mismatch (Maggette vs LB? Nash? or Ross vs LB? Nash?)

House is a good player but I do not think that he is a PURE 3 pointer. He has many socring skills but did Coach find it?

HooverDam

Reaction score
Sunshooter said:
Coach D should give some reserves to play in last few minutes at the 1st or 2nd qtr. /QUOTE]

Such as....? Shortening your bench is common come playoff time. The Suns are doing a good job w/ out 2/5s of their starting line up. Like I said, w/ KT and Amare healthy D'Antoni would be using a 9 man rotation (possibly 10 if House wasnt sucking it up so bad), he is playing the guys he can trust right now.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
no way - gotta go with the guys that brought you here. Screwing around with lineup at this point I think is coaching and season suicide.

Next round... when he's got more under legs, he'll see spot duty, but on Monday I'm guessing.

It's not screwing up the line-up by bringing him off the bench. Also, he's a complimentary player, not a primary player. He doesn't demand the ball on offense like an Amare does, so it doesn't mess up the offensive flow if he goes out there and shoots a couple J's on pick & pops.

With KT coming off the bench as a complimentary playoff tested veteran, I don't see how it would mess up the chemistry. Besides, we need another bench player who can give us something, because Jones has been a non-factor in this series.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
K. Thomas plays 1-on-1

Paul Coro and Doug Haller
The Arizona Republic
May. 18, 2006 12:00 AM

Nikoloz Tskitishvili walked away the winner but Kurt Thomas might have been the biggest victor in round-robin one-on-one play Wednesday with Brian Grant and Pat Burke.

Thomas played for the first time since suffering a right foot stress fracture three months ago. He also confirmed for the first time what coach Mike D'Antoni had been saying: any return would be made in the next round.

"It felt good," Thomas said. "It just shows me I've got a long way to go. They were determined not to let me get a win."
advertisement

Thomas, sorely missed for his post defense and rebounding, has been running for two weeks and started on-court shooting drills Saturday. He said it would be a daily analysis of how his foot is responding before he decides to play again.

He also said he does not want to disrupt the team's flow.

"If I feel I can get in and give them five minutes a half or whatever, we'll see and take it in stride," said Thomas, who was a starter before his injury.

"I'm not worried about scoring. I'm just trying to come in, get some stops and be productive getting rebounds. We have enough guys who can score. The guys are in a nice groove. I don't want to come in and distract in any way. I just want to be positive. As long as I feel I can get on the floor, I want to help the team."

Jones diversifies
James Jones worked after practice all week on shooting. Repetition has restored his confidence but not results.

Jones missed all five shots Tuesday and is 1 for 17 in the past four games.

But Jones hasn't sulked. He helped in other ways in Game 5 with eight rebounds (five offensive), two steals and a block.

"If you're a shooter not making shots, you're worthless," Jones said. "I don't want to fall into that category where I'm just out there, not helping the team in any way."

Free throws

• The Suns' motives seem predictable. Backs against the wall and they are focused. Get a lead in a game or series and relax a bit. Jones is not sure Game 6 fits the back-and-forth mold.

"They're such a good team that we have to put them away," Jones said. "This is the last situation where the pressure is on them and we have to take advantage. If we bring everything we have, we should win."

• Shawn Marion missed practice Wednesday to handle personal matters but came for treatment on a left ankle sprain. He is expected to be fine to play.

"The sniper barely missed him," D'Antoni said.

• Marion started on Sam Cassell but Raja Bell covered the Clippers point guard late.

"We'll switch back and forth and keep length on him and a bulldog on him," D'Antoni said.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm in favor of Thomas playing if he's up to it. It's stupid to go down in a close battle with bullets still left in your chamber.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't play Thomas. He might get into early foul trouble. And on offense, he might fumble the ball or throw it away or even miss a shot.

I'm sorry. The risk is just too high to play Thomas at this point in the season.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Don't play Thomas. He might get into early foul trouble... I'm sorry. The risk is just too high to play Thomas at this point in the season.

I for one hope he does play a few minutes (10-14) and does foul out... 6 Hard fouls on both Brand and Kamen - giving them sore legs and arms the rest of the night.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
That makes no sense at all. Brand and company have been killing the Suns on the boards and with Kurt in there for a few minutes to bang with them could not hurt. The Suns would not be counting on Kurt to score, just to grab some boards.

But the Clips have been beating the Suns on the board because they're taller and quicker - neither of which Thomas brings. Though i'll admit KT might be a better rebounder than TT. ;)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
BillsCarnage said:
But the Clips have been beating the Suns on the board because they're taller and quicker - neither of which Thomas brings. Though i'll admit KT might be a better rebounder than TT. ;)

Kurt is as tall as Brand, actually he may be an inch taller, and his wide body is useful for boxing out. Regardless of whether he can physically do it, the above reason for not playing him holds no water.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Kurt Thomas has 3 more days to get ready for game 7. If he can go he will be there. He is needed in this round with Kaman and Brand just running over us. Just a few minutes could make a difference in the outcome. A couple rebounds and and a couple stops on defense, very important right now.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Our interior defense and rebounding are pathetic. We need Kurt! Even if he's rusty his body is rested more than a lot of guys on the team. I say try him out if we are getting beat up inside...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Don't play Thomas. He might get into early foul trouble. And on offense, he might fumble the ball or throw it away or even miss a shot.

I'm sorry. The risk is just too high to play Thomas at this point in the season.

What are you talking about? This is game SEVEN- there is NO tomorrow, you have to use EVERY weapon you have. Put KT in w/ about 1 or 2 minutes to go in the 1st. Put him on Brand of Kaman, see how he does. If he looks ok, keep going to him. Its not like he's Amare who half this team hasnt played with, he should be able to fit in a bit easier.

Furthermore, giving KT 10 minutes or so in Mondays game will prepare him better for a possible WCF birth.