Any QB the team takes past round two...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Will not have the Cardinals full backing and most probably will fail because if he was actually worth the most important position in their judgment, they would take him in the first two rounds or more aptly in the first. Sometimes teams get lucky but I am going to feel like a QB taken in round three going forward is a wasted pick and I would rather they then take advantage of the other talent in the draft

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Will not have the Cardinals full backing and most probably will fail because if he was actually worth the most important position in their judgment, they would take him in the first two rounds or more aptly in the first. Sometimes teams get lucky but I am going to feel like a QB taken in round three going forward is a wasted pick and I would rather they then take advantage of the other talent in the draft
By your logic (& assuming the Cardinal FO mindset is the same as the Niners at the time), there's no way Joe Montana could succeed.

Sometimes talent rises to the surface and trumps FO thinking.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
doesn't make a lot of sense.

that being said, i don't love any of the QBs in this draft as a potential QBOTF, anyways.

Jason1970

Reaction score
you know whats awesome, taking a HUGE project @ CB in the 3rd rd when Prescott was sitting there. A CB that set the tone for the season by getting roasted by a back-up QB (though a good one). Im sure we would still not know how good Prescott would be as he would have been behind CP. But a good preseason would have been something to hang your hat on.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You guys who disagree do not get my gist. Sure you can get lucky, but often you do not. Does anyone here in their right mind think Dallas would have waited on Prescott later in the draft if they know what they know now. What I am saying, is that I would rather the choice be based more on confidence in evaluation than basing it mainly on "oh hell, what do we have to lose" in my opinion

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
you know whats awesome, taking a HUGE project @ CB in the 3rd rd when Prescott was sitting there. A CB that set the tone for the season by getting roasted by a back-up QB (though a good one). Im sure we would still not know how good Prescott would be as he would have been behind CP. But a good preseason would have been something to hang your hat on.

I was convinced the Cardinals were going to take Dak Prescott in Round 3. They had him in for a visit and everything. But, the DUI right before the draft likely gave the Cardinals cold feet.

It is kind of bizarre that of all the CBs available in the 3rd round that the Cardinals would pick one who had the least experience. Sure, BW has very good measurables, but being a successful CB in the NFL takes much more than physical measurables---it takes years of developing skills and CB instincts.

BA is adamant that Williams is ready to start. Williams is going to work his tail off. But, one cannot blame him if his struggles persist until he's hones his skills and instincts and proved to himself and the team that he can get the job done on a consistent bassis.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You guys who disagree do not get my gist. Sure you can get lucky, but often you do not. Does anyone here in their right mind think Dallas would have waited on Prescott later in the draft if they know what they know now. What I am saying, is that I would rather the choice be based more on confidence in evaluation than basing it mainly on "oh hell, what do we have to lose" in my opinion
IMO - In most instances, a draft pick is chosen based on his perceived value at the time and not on a "what do we have to lose" basis. You can disagree with a FO in its assessment of a player, but I feel their sentiments are pure.

And, yes, luck plays a part. All we can expect is that our FO consistently does the right thing and that the percentages over time, work in its favor.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch: I don't think the Cards drafted Williams with an eye toward starting him right away. We had loaded our roster with other corners, and the FO probably felt they could roll the dice on drafting an inexperiencd high upside player who'd possibly star for us a couple of years from now.

Unfortunately the CB room suffered a rash of injuries and the FO's risky move to start Williams didn't work out.

That doesn't mean that Brandon won't outgrow his raw-ness & develop into a quality starter down the road. Nor does it mean that the Card FO did the wrong thing by drafting him and then prematurely forcing him into action. All it means is that the percentage didn't pay off (so far) this time.

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch: I don't think the Cards drafted Williams with an eye toward starting him right away. We had loaded our roster with other corners, and the FO probably felt they could roll the dice on drafting an inexperiencd high upside player who'd possibly star for us a couple of years from now.

Unfortunately the CB room suffered a rash of injuries and the FO's risky move to start Williams didn't work out.

That doesn't mean that Brandon won't outgrow his raw-ness & develop into a quality starter down the road. Nor does it mean that the Card FO did the wrong thing by drafting him and then prematurely forcing him into action. All it means is that the percentage didn't pay off (so far) this time.

Jeff---

I don't have a problem with the player, I have a problem with taking him in the 3rd round when there were some better and far more experienced CBs available,

For example:

1. The Ravens took Tavon Young from Temple in the 4th round and he wound up starting 11 games and was good.
2. The Panthers took Daryl Worley of West Virginia in the 3rd round after the Cardinals took Williams. Worley fits the Cardinals' style very well. He started 11 games for the Panthers.
3. The Cowboys got 9 good starts from 6th rounder Anthony Brown of Purdue who i thought played very well at the Senior Bowl.
4. The 49ers took Rashard Robinson of LSU in the 4th round and he emerged as a good starter in 6 games.

Here's the thing too, Jeff. The Cardinals were going into 2016 with Justin Bethel as the starter at RCB, after he really struggled down the stretch as a fill-in starter in 2015. They didn't have the luxury of taking a project CB in the 3rd round.

Reaction score
Jeff---

I don't have a problem with the player, I have a problem with taking him in the 3rd round when there were some better and far more experienced CBs available,

For example:

1. The Ravens took Tavon Young from Temple in the 4th round and he wound up starting 11 games and was good.
2. The Panthers took Daryl Worley of West Virginia in the 3rd round after the Cardinals took Williams. Worley fits the Cardinals' style very well. He started 11 games for the Panthers.
3. The Cowboys got 9 good starts from 6th rounder Anthony Brown of Purdue who i thought played very well at the Senior Bowl.
4. The 49ers took Rashard Robinson of LSU in the 4th round and he emerged as a good starter in 6 games.

Here's the thing too, Jeff. The Cardinals were going into 2016 with Justin Bethel as the starter at RCB, after he really struggled down the stretch as a fill-in starter in 2015. They didn't have the luxury of taking a project CB in the 3rd round.

But if Williams turns out better in the long run who had the better draft pick?

Mitch

Reaction score
But if Williams turns out better in the long run who had the better draft pick?

Right, cncfan. That's the hope.

But, let me ask you and Jeff this---do the Cardinals have to draft another CB in the first three rounds again this year?

Reaction score

But, let me ask you and Jeff this---do the Cardinals have to draft another CB in the first three rounds again this year?

Depends on how confident they are in Bethel & BW. I think they will in the later rounds.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
doesn't make a lot of sense.

that being said, i don't love any of the QBs in this draft as a potential QBOTF, anyways.
They don't have the luxury of picking where sure fire QB prospects are called locks for QBOF' s. You have to take some calculated risks....no guts.....

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I think there is no question that QBs chances / the organization's patience with them is directly correlated with their draft status.

My sense of draft position/ how patient an org is on how long they will wait to see a QB "show them something"

1st round QB: you probably get 16-20 games to show something
2nd rounder: good preseason + 6 games
3rd or later: good preseason + 3 games
Later than that: game to game.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any QB the team takes past round 2 is Drew Stanton's eventual replacement. This is a good thing though, considering he's costing us way too much money.

FWIW, I think Mahomes is the perfect Arians QB out of this draft but I expect him to be long gone by 13. Prepare for Davis Webb, guys and girls.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any QB the team takes past round 2 is Drew Stanton's eventual replacement. This is a good thing though, considering he's costing us way too much money.

FWIW, I think Mahomes is the perfect Arians QB out of this draft but I expect him to be long gone by 13. Prepare for Davis Webb, guys and girls.

I thought the same, I think he could be the first qb taken
San Francisco with the second overall pick 2 ,buffalo at 10, saints at 11
And grow him behind a veteran

Meanwhile browns can draft watson , who can start from day 1

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yuck, don't say that.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I highly doubt Mahomes will be gone before Watson & Trubisky, maybe Kizer, too. Even though, I still think he's better than Trubisky for sure.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Brees has been criticizing the organization about the lack of defense these past few years. I'll be shocked if they go offense at all in round 1, let alone QB. Buffalo just kept Tyrod so I doubt they'll get him, too. That only leaves Cleveland & San Fran since I think Chicago will select a QB next year since they just signed Glennon.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brees has been criticizing the organization about the lack of defense these past few years. I'll be shocked if they go offense at all in round 1, let alone QB. Buffalo just kept Tyrod so I doubt they'll get him, too. That only leaves Cleveland & San Fran since I think Chicago will select a QB next year since they just signed Glennon.

Brees is 38, they have to look for a future replacement
I dont think the Browns can draft Mahomes since he is not ready to play in his rookie year and they need a starter
I m pretty sure they will trade for Garappolo
Texans could be a rival for Mahomes, but they have to trade up and they dont have the second round pick
Buffalo Its difficult to figure out, they benched Taylor to force him taking a pay cut, cardale Jones I dont think is the answer
Jets selected heckenberg last season, I doubt they give up already

I think san Francisco can draft mahomes with second overall pick and play Hoyer for a year

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brees is 38, they have to look for a future replacement
I dont think the Browns can draft Mahomes since he is not ready to play in his rookie year and they need a starter
I m pretty sure they will trade for Garappolo
Texans could be a rival for Mahomes, but they have to trade up and they dont have the second round pick
Buffalo Its difficult to figure out, they benched Taylor to force him taking a pay cut, cardale Jones I dont think is the answer
Jets selected heckenberg last season, I doubt they give up already

I think san Francisco can draft mahomes with second overall pick and play Hoyer for a year
I know about the Saints, I just think they're "all-in" this season so that's why I think they're desperately going defense. I feel Watson fits the Shanahan bill moreso than a Mahomes does. Watson reminds me of a more athletic Matt Ryan, tbh.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Short answer: I don't know - it depends on whether the Cards feel guys like Bouka, Bethel and B Williams are good enough to get the job done.

As for "having to" draft a CB by round 3: Probably not (Cards claim to be a BPA drafter).

Do I think the Cards "will" draft a CB in the first three rounds? Odds are somewhat north of 50-50 (because of the plethora of good corners plus the likelihood that a BPA at #13, #45 or #77 will, by coincidence, turn out to be a CB).

How would I feel about our drafting a CB? Depends on who's on our Board. But, generally speaking, I wouldn't be thrilled if we took one in rounds 1 and 2, but could be very happy if we got a good one in round 3.

Mitch

Reaction score
Short answer: I don't know - it depends on whether the Cards feel guys like Bouka and B Williams are good enough to get the job done.

As for "having to" draft a CB by round 3: Probably not (Cards claim to be a BPA drafter).

Do I think the Cards "will" draft a CB in the first three rounds? Odds are somewhat north of 50-50 (because of the plethora of good corners plus the likelihood that a BPA at #13, #45 or #77 will, by coincidence, turn out to be a CB).

How would I feel about our drafting a CB? Depends on who's on our Board. But, generally speaking, I wouldn't be thrilled if we took one in rounds 1 and 2, but could be very happy if we got a good one in round 3.

Jeff---what may be a panacea for the Cardinals in this draft is to take a combo CB/FS like Budda Baker of Washington, Kenny King of Washington, Desmond King of Iowa, Obi Malifonwu of Connecticut or John Johnson of Boston College. Marcus Cooper could play both CB and S. So can Honey Badger and so possibly could Tyvon Branch.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeff---what may be a panacea for the Cardinals in this draft is to take a combo CB/FS like Budda Baker of Washington, Kenny King of Washington, Desmond King of Iowa, Obi Malifonwu of Connecticut or John Johnson of Boston College. Marcus Cooper could play both CB and S. So can Honey Badger and so possibly could Tyvon Branch.
I could be cool with that, but talent and production should trump versatility. We need a #2 corner who can get the job done. If we also need a safety, it shouldn't be at the expense of settling for mediocre play at corner. Good separates are better than a fair combo guy.

Love Budda Baker and Malifonwu, but aren't they opposites height-wise? I seem to recall Baker's being 5-10"and Malifonwu 6-2+.

(See my note to you re guys like Baker and Peppers filling specialized roles to provide depth behind Tyrann and Bucc).

HGC

All Star
Reaction score

No one has a top 5 grade on Mahomes overall. Nobody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05