Any QB the team takes past round two...

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Qb's are use to get picked higher then their real values, adding the fact Mahomes is very talented
What is written on paper is not what s going to happen in draft day

Mahomes is a massive project for any team that grabs him. You honestly think a rookie GM and coach are going to reach on a QB with a 2nd round grade with the 2nd overall pick? I agree quarterbacks get over drafted by teams usually bad ones. That's how Jake Locker gets picked over JJ Watt and Tyron Smith.
As a Cardinals fan I hope a Division rival makes the biggest reach at QB in NFL history.
And for the record I like Mahomes and think he has all the physical attributes to be an excellent franchise quarterback but there is no way in hell he goes 2 overall.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I like Kizer, Mahomes has grown on me, can definitely see the possibilities with Watson, and even Joshua Dobbs but hope we stay the hell away from Trubisky who strikes me as not too bright and a step away from going full blown De Wreck Anderson screaming that he takes this stuff seriously

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Mahomes is a massive project for any team that grabs him. You honestly think a rookie GM and coach are going to reach on a QB with a 2nd round grade with the 2nd overall pick? I agree quarterbacks get over drafted by teams usually bad ones. That's how Jake Locker gets picked over JJ Watt and Tyron Smith.
As a Cardinals fan I hope a Division rival makes the biggest reach at QB in NFL history.
And for the record I like Mahomes and think he has all the physical attributes to be an excellent franchise quarterback but there is no way in hell he goes 2 overall.

Who says he has a 2nd round grade? Or more specific, how do you know that 32 teams have a second round grade on Mahomes?

I don't know if you saw it, but a few years ago there was a snap shot of Dallas' draft board and a TE the Cardinals drafted in the 7th round had a second round grade from the Cowboys. The point is, teams have a very different value on positions and value different traits from certain positions.

Mahomes has an elite arm. Day one in the NFL, he will have one of the best arms in the league. His arm is special and allows him to throw accurately despite his poor footwork. By all accounts, he has football smarts. He is passionate about football, leaving behind baseball even though he would've likely been a high 1st round draft pick out of high school.

Outside of Watson's dominance in the National Championship, I was more impressed with Mahomes than any other QB I watched last year. Why I like Mahomes more than Watson is that I think he has more special traits. His arm is a lot better. I think he is naturally more accurate. He didn't run a great 40 time, but he looked like he can scramble and keep plays alive, but he isn't a running QB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like Kizer, Mahomes has grown on me, can definitely see the possibilities with Watson, and even Joshua Dobbs but hope we stay the hell away from Trubisky who strikes me as not too bright and a step away from going full blown De Wreck Anderson screaming that he takes this stuff seriously

Kizer has moments where he looks great and then moments that he looks like Logan Thomas. Dobbs lacks accuracy in college; we know how that works out in the NFL.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Kizer has moments where he looks great and then moments that he looks like Logan Thomas. Dobbs lacks accuracy in college; we know how that works out in the NFL.

I love the character and smarts of Dobbs, but you are right about his accuracy and he would be a 'what if' luck selection I am against unless we also go Redskin mode and take a QB early as well. Mahomes has a long way to go but he appears to be a humble kid with a passion to play and his talent is off the charts. Kizer just feels like a NFL QB to me and my thoughts wander to his supporting cast was not that great

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Who says he has a 2nd round grade? Or more specific, how do you know that 32 teams have a second round grade on Mahomes?

I don't know if you saw it, but a few years ago there was a snap shot of Dallas' draft board and a TE the Cardinals drafted in the 7th round had a second round grade from the Cowboys. The point is, teams have a very different value on positions and value different traits from certain positions.

Mahomes has an elite arm. Day one in the NFL, he will have one of the best arms in the league. His arm is special and allows him to throw accurately despite his poor footwork. By all accounts, he has football smarts. He is passionate about football, leaving behind baseball even though he would've likely been a high 1st round draft pick out of high school.

Outside of Watson's dominance in the National Championship, I was more impressed with Mahomes than any other QB I watched last year. Why I like Mahomes more than Watson is that I think he has more special traits. His arm is a lot better. I think he is naturally more accurate. He didn't run a great 40 time, but he looked like he can scramble and keep plays alive, but he isn't a running QB.

I responded to a comment that had him going 2nd overall to the 49'ers.
You think a single team has a top 5 overall grade on him? Top two like the guy I responded to? Yes he's got an elite arm and protypical size but that's only a portion of what's required to play quarterback successfully in the NFL. You've been here long enough so you're fully aware of that. Pre combine Mahomes received a 2nd round grade by the league Advisory Comitte. I will agree some teams will have him rated higher. Did he overwhelmingly wow at the combine? Everyone knows the kids arm is special that's why he's even being discussed as a potential first round pick.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I responded to a comment that had him going 2nd overall to the 49'ers.
You think a single team has a top 5 overall grade on him? Top two like the guy I responded to? Yes he's got an elite arm and protypical size but that's only a portion of what's required to play quarterback successfully in the NFL. You've been here long enough so you're fully aware of that. Pre combine Mahomes received a 2nd round grade by the league Advisory Comitte. I will agree some teams will have him rated higher. Did he overwhelmingly wow at the combine? Everyone knows the kids arm is special that's why he's even being discussed as a potential first round pick.

He has a second round NFL grade but is in the 2017 draft where from this point on all QBs are pretty much projects to a large extent... hence, he will probably go first round because a second round grade for his position is now first grade

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
He has a second round NFL grade but is in the 2017 draft where from this point on all QBs are pretty much projects to a large extent... hence, he will probably go first round because a second round grade for his position is now first grade

I agree to some extent. Over drafting a player by 20+ picks doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me regardless of position and quite frankly that's a precedent that's been set bad organizations. Nobody knows where they rate any of these guys all we can do assume at this point.
They could very well have a high first round grade on Mahomes but if they rate him as a mid 2nd round prospect and pull the trigger early they better hope they get lucky or hello Ramsville.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I agree to some extent. Over drafting a player by 20+ picks doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me regardless of position and quite frankly that's a precedent that's been set bad organizations. Nobody knows where they rate any of these guys all we can do assume at this point.
They could very well have a high first round grade on Mahomes but if they rate him as a mid 2nd round prospect and pull the trigger early they better hope they get lucky or hello Ramsville.

The quarterback position is probably the one position where one can take the draft value game and forget about it. The importance is monumental and if you find that QB, even if it takes two busted high picks, you simply do not care because without the QB all your picks have no meaning. I really think the Redskins got that when they drafted RGIII but also went after Cousins, though I personally am still not high on Cousins. If it was a decade ago, I would say screw it and just get the QB next season when Palmer retires since the QBs where more Pro ready coming out of college. Prescott last season was an exception but he also had a great running game in a weak division... or rather a mediocre conference in my opinion

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
The quarterback position is probably the one position where one can take the draft value game and forget about it. The importance is monumental and if you find that QB, even if it takes two busted high picks, you simply do not care because without the QB all your picks have no meaning. I really think the Redskins got that when they drafted RGIII but also went after Cousins, though I personally am still not high on Cousins. If it was a decade ago, I would say screw it and just get the QB next season when Palmer retires since the QBs where more Pro ready coming out of college. Prescott last season was an exception but he also had a great running game in a weak division... or rather a mediocre conference in my opinion

Again that's a precedent set by bad organizations. If you're trying to emulate the Rams, Browns , Jets, Jaguars and pre-Mariota Titans I think that's the strategy. We don't know how they rate this class of quarterbacks but you're advocating taking a player far higher than you rate out of need an position. That's not taking a risk that's potentially setting your franchise back for years. I believe if you select a QB in round 1 especially early in round 1 it's because you're certain he'll be successful with proper development not drafting him early because you think he's pretty good and you're afraid he'll be gone by your next pick. So you're right it is monumental and the most important position on the team that's why you do your due diligence and find the right guy not just a guy.
I think they'll address the position this year just don't know who or when. I don't think it'll be Mahomes at 13 and I do think he'll be there. That said I think they'd be very happy if he was available in the 2nd but should be gone.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis Webb says “double-digit” teams told him he’s a first-rounder

Webb held his pro day workout on Friday and said after it was over that he’s gotten a lot of positive feedback during his conversations with teams.

“I’ve talked to a lot of NFL people,” Webb said, via ESPN.com. “And double-digit teams have told me I’m a first-round guy. Every meeting I’ve had, they’ve said I’m one of the best quarterbacks on the board.”

That’s not where most members of the draft industry have pegged Webb coming off the board, but it wouldn’t be the first time that a projected second day pick wound up landing in the first round. Webb said he has 12-15 meetings and/or workouts scheduled with teams heading into the draft and the results of those will likely be a big factor in where he winds up coming off the board.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Prescott went what round last year? If he went back into the draft pool this year what round would be go?

My point is that the round grade concept doesn't matter really. There were people who panned the Cardinals for taking Markus Golden in the second round.

Draft winner rarely equals Super Bowl winner because draft pundits rarely have an understanding of scheme fit, locker room fit, etc.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Prescott went what round last year? If he went back into the draft pool this year what round would be go?

My point is that the round grade concept doesn't matter really. There were people who panned the Cardinals for taking Markus Golden in the second round.

Draft winner rarely equals Super Bowl winner because draft pundits rarely have an understanding of scheme fit, locker room fit, etc.

I see so Mahomes is the next Prescott. The player you should be comparing him to is the one you're not, you know last years #1 pick. Who by the way happens to be another kid who's smart, has an elite arm and played in the same system that teaches quarterbacks nothing about transitioning to the NFL. Goff looked lost last year in every minute of every game he played in. He was so bad throughout the week that they stuck with Keenum for a majority of the season.
I get it Krang and I'm the same way about players I like and have that feeling about. I'm a Soloman Thomas fanboy and think he'll be better than Garrett. An opinion most people probably don't share. Anyway I'm new here and you're a long standing member. I'm not trying to rustle any feathers especially fellow red ones.
I will say I think Mahomes at 13 is a reach but if they pick him I'll support it 100% and I'd be very happy if my opinion of him was wrong.
Wouldn't be the first time :)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I finally caught up with doing a Cardinal 7 round mock. Here goes:

13. Watson QB
45. Feeney G
77. Kpassagnon DL
119. Siragusa G-C
157. Tu'ikavatiu NT
178. D Fields Edge
197. Gerry S
231. Robinette WR

To keep myself honest, I based my BPA Board on another draft-site's 7 round mock order.

Whether or not we take Watson depends on what BA thinks and whether Watson gets drafted by another team. We need a RG and Feeney happens to fall to #45 on my BPA board. Kpassagnon has Calais type length. I kind of goofed by taking another guard in Siragusa, but he's an effort guy and, on further review, I'll stick with him. Tu'ikavuto is a massive NT - nothing wrong with clogging up the middle. Fields seems to have the chops to play ILB despite being a bit small. I would have liked to have landed a top safety a few rounds earlier than Gerry. If Robinette can clear his military obligation, we might have a steal.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I see so Mahomes is the next Prescott. The player you should be comparing him to is the one you're not, you know last years #1 pick. Who by the way happens to be another kid who's smart, has an elite arm and played in the same system that teaches quarterbacks nothing about transitioning to the NFL. Goff looked lost last year in every minute of every game he played in. He was so bad throughout the week that they stuck with Keenum for a majority of the season.
I get it Krang and I'm the same way about players I like and have that feeling about. I'm a Soloman Thomas fanboy and think he'll be better than Garrett. An opinion most people probably don't share. Anyway I'm new here and you're a long standing member. I'm not trying to rustle any feathers especially fellow red ones.
I will say I think Mahomes at 13 is a reach but if they pick him I'll support it 100% and I'd be very happy if my opinion of him was wrong.
Wouldn't be the first time :)

Goff does not have an elite arm, no where close. I wouldn't have taken Goff last year.

I dont really believe too much in the reach concept especially with QBs...I mean I do and I dont. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. If you like a quarterback don't play around and lose him because he might be drafted a round early.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I agree. If you like a quarterback don't play around and lose him because he might be drafted a round early.

You go get him, skin that smoke wagon. Throw down Cardinals and draft him or just watch your franchise bleed :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05