Anyone Have Dogs/Puppies for Sale?

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Let me know. I'm looking for a small/medium sized type of dawg for the GF.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the humane society or rescue?

http://www.azhumane.org/

http://www.azrescue.org/

The advantage to rescue is that the dog has been in a foster home, so you know if there are any health/behavior quirks up front.

Also, I would strongly suggest trying to identify what type of dog up front. Do you care if the dog sheds? Will it need regular grooming? How much daily excercise will it need? Can it stay alone for extended periods of time? Any barking/chewing/digging issues? Do you want a "lap dog" or a companion to play fetch in the park?

The more homework you do up front, the better chance of success with the dog.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I think we're going with a cocker spaniel. But I may put off buying one for a while.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Someone at work has 2 chow puppies available for adoption. Let me know and I can check to see if they are still available.

Looking at their photos, they are a cream color; one male, one female.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
DeAnna said:
Someone at work has 2 chow puppies available for adoption. Let me know and I can check to see if they are still available.

Looking at their photos, they are a cream color; one male, one female.

No thanks we are going to hold off for a while, plus I heard Chows bite a lot and shed like hell. But they are like little bears.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
JPlay said:
No thanks we are going to hold off for a while, plus I heard Chows bite a lot and shed like hell. But they are like little bears.

I was going to adopt a chow and did quite a bit of research on them. The idea that Chow's bite alot has some merit, but only because you can't find a better dog to protect your kids. Once the dog accepts your family as "his" he will not allow anyone or anything to harm them. For some un-explained reason, even more so for your kids. Chows have been known to defend the kids from the parent if the parent becomes abusive. The key to Chows is socializing them with other people at an early age. Then they are fine.

I think a mixed breed Chow is the perfect dog to watch over your family. I only say mixed to get rid of some of that long, shedding fur.

FWIW, I only posted this to try and save you from getting a stupid cocker spaniel. Those are biting dogs. I think either Joel or Kevin posted that earlier also.

:thumbup:

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
HarleyRider said:
I was going to adopt a chow and did quite a bit of research on them. The idea that Chow's bite alot has some merit, but only because you can't find a better dog to protect your kids. Once the dog accepts your family as "his" he will not allow anyone or anything to harm them. For some un-explained reason, even more so for your kids. Chows have been known to defend the kids from the parent if the parent becomes abusive. The key to Chows is socializing them with other people at an early age. Then they are fine.

I think a mixed breed Chow is the perfect dog to watch over your family. I only say mixed to get rid of some of that long, shedding fur.

FWIW, I only posted this to try and save you from getting a stupid cocker spaniel. Those are biting dogs. I think either Joel or Kevin posted that earlier also.

:thumbup:

yup. Cockers are cute to look at but they nip alot. At my old job w/home owners claims, we'd get reports every year on dog bite statistics. Cockers were #1 or #2 in bites per year.

Their bites were not as feroicous as a chow, pit bull, rotty, German Shephard, etc, but their frequency was much higer.

Instead of mauling, they would nip, but still many bites require stitches.

FWIW - I paid out over $12K for a nipper Cocker dog bite. It was only a few stitches on the girl, but she was 4 and it happened on her cheek. The dog had a history of bites (3 total in 5 years). Underwriting cancelled their insurance & labeled them as a risk if they didn't get rid of the dog. They had to pay higher premiums for their next policy form a different company. Once you have an incident like that & you are cancelled, your info goes into a nat'l insurance data base.

That wasn't as bad as the guy who had his eye ripped out by a fish hook cast by his best friend. good times, good times.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Ok I'll get a pit bull instead.

I really hope that was a serious comment, because I have 2 pits and they are the greatest dogs I have ever had. So loyal and caring, not a mean streak in either one of them. My exwife tooks hers when we split, but I see her all the time so only one lives with me know, I also have a Rot.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
bankybruce said:
I really hope that was a serious comment, because I have 2 pits and they are the greatest dogs I have ever had. So loyal and caring, not a mean streak in either one of them. My exwife tooks hers when we split, but I see her all the time so only one lives with me know, I also have a Rot.

Pits have such a bad rep, I'm afraid it is irreversible. Probably one of the 5 greatest dog breeds and the stupid media has destroyed their reputation.

Well, the media and a-hole owners.

Look up dogbreedinfo.com and see how much they rave about pits. Moreso the American Staffordshire Terrier.

Frank_N_Pine

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My neighbor has a new litter of doberman's. But Pine is probably too far to come get one. Just threw that at there though.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
bankybruce said:

I just don't want a dog that will bite my face off.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I just don't want a dog that will bite my face off.
Then a Pit is perfect becasue I have never heard of a Pit turning on a owner, you only hear about the Pits that have stupid owners who train them to be mean and them they attack someone who was not suppose to be in the yard in the first place.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I can turn any dog mean.....even D-Dogg. :D

It's just that the repurcussions (sp?) of turning a pit mean are worse than say a toy poodle. Pits naturally go for the throat and have the ability to lock their jaw, they also have a tremendously high tolerance for pain. If a pit (like any breed) is not beaten or abused make outstanding pets. Pits and their close cousin, the American Staffordshire Terrier are great dogs. Like I said before, it's the stupid media and stupid owners that have given them a rep that will never go away.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
I can turn any dog mean.....even D-Dogg. :D

It's just that the repurcussions (sp?) of turning a pit mean are worse than say a toy poodle. Pits naturally go for the throat and have the ability to lock their jaw, they also have a tremendously high tolerance for pain. If a pit (like any breed) is not beaten or abused make outstanding pets. Pits and their close cousin, the American Staffordshire Terrier are great dogs. Like I said before, it's the stupid media and stupid owners that have given them a rep that will never go away.

I've heard those stories about Pits attacking kids. What's up with that.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I've heard those stories about Pits attacking kids. What's up with that.

Yes, those are Pits that have been mistreated or abused. No two ways about it. Is it easier to bring out the nasty in a Pit than other dogs? Perhaps. The consequences of what one can do once that viciousness is brought out is bad.

The thing is, you literally have to try and put effort into doing that to a Pit. They are not like that naturally. The reason you hear stories is because of what a Pit can do once he is turned vicious.

Just like maddog said, he had more claims against cocker-friggin-spaniels than Pits.

Bottom line, Pits are used by Southerners and such for fighting, because they turn them mean and once mean they can be brutal.

Unless you are keeping him in a cage since he was a puppy, starving him, and then feeding him raw meat laced with Tabasco and beating him constantly with a stick, (which is EXACTLY how it's done) then you have nothing to worry about.

They are great dogs, if you have any reservations or are an inexperienced dog owner then don't do it.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yep ... them and rots are great when trained well

when I was living in denver the guy down the street had 3 rottweilers, would keep them off the leash and they would just lay in the yard, play with their toys and act just like any other puppy

i was walking by the house one day and one sat up and barked at me ... the owner scolded the dog, which then laid down and reverted to friendlyness

never had a problem with them ... very nice dogs

this other guy though had a stupid nipper dog that would run up to the fences and raise hell everytime anyone passed by

super annoying

if you doubt your ability to train a dog or doubt you have the time to keep them active, interested and in good temper then go for a different breed ... but if you know what you are doing and pay the dog some attention then pitbulls and rotts are nothing to be afraid of

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I know someone that is giving away two Poodles.

marathon_mom

Bring it on!!!
Reaction score
All my puppies are gone - except the one we decided to keep. She on the backporch with my other 3 dogs if you want one. JUST KIDDING.

Momma is a Lab/Chow mix and the 2nd best dog I ever had. (Best was a pure bred chocolate Lab that we had for 12 years & lost her 3 years ago.) Angel (our Lab/Chow) is very friendly, sweet, loyal & doesn't shed very much at all. My Golden Retriever sheds more than she does. She had been abused and a friend of mine found her running around her neighborhood. She was scared to death of people.........for about 5 days or so. I just kept loving on her. Slept on the floor with her (spoonin) and she has been GREAT ever since! She is WONDERFUL with my kids (ages 2 & 5) I wish I would have seen this thread earlier, when I had pups available. They were beautiful!

I just saw a couple signs today at the New River Post office for dogs for sale. One was a 5 month old Boxer mix. Then there was one that had 3 photos of the litter of pups. Can't remember what breed but they were adorable and only $25. If you want more info on them, let me know & I'll get it tomorrow or Monday. I think I saw a poster for Weimeriners (sp?) as well but they are kinda high maintenance from what I hear. A bit high strung. Beautiful though!

Let me know...good luck with your search.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
Unless you are keeping him in a cage since he was a puppy, starving him, and then feeding him raw meat laced with Tabasco and beating him constantly with a stick, (which is EXACTLY how it's done) then you have nothing to worry about. .

You forgot about hooking them up to 100 pound chains on them the get stronger faster, and sometimes cutting thier ears and tails.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan