AQ Shipley

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mason Cole as an OC in Kliff’s offense is a disaster. Wouldn’t be surprised if we try to scoop up someone if we can’t come to terms with AQ.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This feels like the Lyle Seindlein offseason. If we aren't happy when camp opens up...... AQ will be out there.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A stellar athlete indeed

You must be registered for see images attach
Lol he’s an old guy but he could still easily beat a 23.5in vert

looking at a pic of someone and judging athleticism is how you look like a clown btw. This is what all the SmartGuys did with Weaver w/o realizing the #s show him as above average for NFL LB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Couple things:
1. I should have said “Shipley was unquestionably a better athlete than Cole when he came out of college.”
2. NFL is a young man’s game, but elite offensive linemen frequently maintain their levels of play well into their 30s AND continuity on the line is extremely important.
FTFY

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol he’s an old guy but he could still easily beat a 23.5in vert

looking at a pic of someone and judging athleticism is how you look like a clown btw. This is what all the SmartGuys did with Weaver w/o realizing the #s show him as above average for NFL LB.

BTW: you are going to wear out your welcome real soon if you keep this up.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Disaster, unproven mediocre commodity, elite VS crappy, unquestionably far superior, much much much more athletic.

You like to throw a lot of meaningless words around to prove your point. SMH:rolleyes:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Lots of fervor here. I'm rooting for Cole, but I don't trust his success. To me, C is the biggest question mark on the team. Not one I know that AQ solves, but the biggest question mark.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that Mason Cole actually isn't good. He got an "F" grade as a center from NFLCombineResults.com. I really want him to be good because I like the Wolverines and it would be great to have a top-notch center for once, but he doesn't have the physical traits you're looking for.

Gaillard doesn't have them either, apparently. He didn't work out at the Combine, but his pro day results were not good, either.

Stop! You're making me remember how the center of our OL is so shaky, and I don't want to remember that :)

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mason Cole played 100% of the snaps for our offense in 2018. He won the job due to injury. That offense was historically bad. There were several reasons, most notably QB, why that offense was historically bad. That said, just given that one data point, it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Put me down as nervously optimistic that the team (and OL coach, Sean Kugler) thinks we'll be better w/o AQ Shipley. All I'll say that the team is in a much better position to know than the fans.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For next year. Having most of the guys play all 16 last year was so important.

I’m not expecting AQ to be around too much longer, but he was fairly good last year and can actually zone block. I thought we would target a C in the 4th (like the Temple guy or Cushenberry), but the main targets went early.
yes but if you are claiming continuity is of the most importance but then elevating a guy who has a few years left vs a young guy, it is a double standard. you can have two years of continuity or 10 but you choose the two year over the ten?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
AQ Shipley isn't worth 3 pages.

Good guy. Average at best player. Should have been gone at least 2 years ago.
This is where I stand. Like the guy...... and think he was serviceable. IMO he was a bottom 10 starting center the last three years.

And good god...... everyone knows I love me a spider chart, but to call him athletic...... ever....... seems a bit wishy-washy to me with the amount of footage we have for him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is where I stand. Like the guy...... and think he was serviceable. IMO he was a bottom 10 starting center the last three years.

And good god...... everyone knows I love me a spider chart, but to call him athletic...... ever....... seems a bit wishy-washy to me with the amount of footage we have for him.

Exactly this

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Center is the QB of the Oline I want Shipley back just for depth, good leader, if injuries mount cole cane move around. Or Maybe Gilliard earned his back up spot, still would be happy if AQ was added, wasnt he an Arians guy?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Regarding Cole......

It has to be concerning that on the Underground podcast last summer they mentioned that AQ had clearly defeated Cole to become the starting Center. And that (IIRC) it wasn't that close because if it was, they would have gone with the cheaper & younger option.

Coming off an ACL repair, and still soundly beating your younger competition after he started all 16 games the year before (in his absence) seems slightly alarming to me if the plan is to hand over the center duties to Mason Cole.